Are you, or are you not picky about guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by THX1123, Sep 14, 2020.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Picky like "I found this little scratch on this guitar I just bought, I tried for an hour getting a picture of it, should I send it back?" kind of picky? Six threads a week on that.

I play relics instead. No worries about scratches.

Fretwire threads always confuse me. The differences are so minor unless the frets are so low from leveling they really need to be replaced.

I do like chunky necks best.

I used to swap pickups to fix tone problems but I learned pots 'n caps control all for 1/10th the price.

KW1977 and Fender-guy like this.
  2. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I’m not super picky. I have my preferences and know what components I prefer, but I’m not married to them and am open to trying new things. Unless I really don’t connect with a neck, I’ll play anything.

spurgie79 likes this.
  3. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I'm not picky at all - I play guitars with lots of different neck shapes, radii, scale lengths, etc. one after the other all the time. So, for example, going from a Baja Tele to a Gibson SG is second nature to me.

The biggest trouble I have is going from a guitar to a standard scale bass, but most of my bass playing is done on my JMJ Mustang which is short scale so that transition isn't a problem for me.

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

totally......they must be left handed , have the correct number of strings and hold their tuning

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    M2roadwarrior and JL_LI like this.
  5. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do keep to certain criteria. I guess that makes me picky. So what?

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I can handle any type of guitar except one with a super skinny or baseball bat style neck.

7. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

I'm not too particular. I just want a guitar to play fairly easy and sound good.

I had to laugh at a guy selling a PRS on another forum, said he's a Gibson guy and can't handle the 25" scale of a PRS.
    I really don't think anyone can tell the difference of 1/4" in scale length from 24 3/4" to 25", I called him out on BS.
    He has bionic fingers if he can tell that difference.

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In certain ways yes, I'm picky. I don't like the 7.25" radius. I like traditional body styles and configurations. I'm not into fancy wood grains. I'm ok with bursts but straight grain is perfectly fine, my LP has some flame but not that much if I were looking for one again that's what I'd buy. Les Pauls, ES type and other brand hollow bodies should be stained. I prefer painted Fender or Fender style guitars. I don't like mixing pick ups, all humbucker, single coil or P-90 please. I don't limit myself to a particular neck profile, scale or radius except as aforementioned.

hemingway likes this.
  9. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I’m picky, thankfully. Otherwise I’d not be able to narrow down which guitars to buy.

I can get along with different neck shapes within reason. Sound, weight, playability, and price are critical.

But there are lots of small things that would put me off, such as finish color, headstock shape, scale length, non-vintage style tremolo, headstock repairs, high-gain pickups, bling, relicing, lots of switches, fretboard color, etc., etc.

10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yes. to both queries

11. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

I'm picky to a degree. I prefer 7.25 and vintage C profiles, but I don't refuse to play other necks. So I'm open to different guitar specs - but for a 'main player' guitar I do want it to have my desired radius and profile because I can play much longer without fatigue than I can with thinner necks and flatter fretboards. That said, I only have 1 guitar with those specs. The rest are 9.5s and 12s.

Body style-wise I prefer tele shapes and double cut LP-esque shapes. I dont care for strat-like shapes, most pointy/angular shapes (except I do kind of like the Explorer). I like JM offset bodies a bit, but not the Mustang or similar narrow offsets. They just look squished to me.

I lean toward Tele pickups or P90, but I'm considering getting a dual humbucker guitar, which will probably be a LP Special type.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  12. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I'm 180 degrees on that statement- I love vintage frets, low action, low(er) output pickups, 7.25" radius boards, basically a '64 Telecaster would be ideal for me... ;)

Bella and Cali Dude like this.
  13. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had a new policy for the last 2 years or so. After buying quite a bit of gear, I decided I would become more selective about what I buy. It means I will pay more, but will spend less because I will not buy stuff because of a knee jerk reaction.

M2roadwarrior and Cali Dude like this.
  14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

I try not to be picky and guitars don't need to be perfect for me to find enjoyment in them.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  15. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

there are some neck shapes i cannot play without pain. but the only way to tell is to put my hands on it, a verbal description won't do.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Yep.

They better stay in tune and feel right...and sound good.

Don’t have any other specifics than that, because all my guitars have different specs in every way.

17. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Meister

I’m not picky, in that I don’t have certain characteristics that are make-or-break. I have eighteen guitars, and the whole point is for them to be different. I play different on them, and I sound different.

M2roadwarrior and gregulator450 like this.
  18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’d say you are confusing the tool with the product you use it to make!

One guitar can make many different kinds of music.
    If you require numerous different guitars, are you making that many kinds of music?

You could say the cook needs many pots but so does the band need many instruments. You don’t have to grab a new guitar for each song.
    A band seldom needs as many guitars as guitar players seem to think we need!

Fender-guy likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

But these days the internet says we have to adapt!

20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I have 2 guitars with smallish 60s style Fender necks, 7.25" radius, medium jumbo frets. I like 'em.
    I have one guitar with Fender "deep C" neck, 9.5" radius, narrow tall frets. I like it.
    I have one guitar with a Fender huge 50s style neck, 9.5" radius, jumbo frets. I like it.
    I have 4 guitars with wide, flat, 60s style Gibson necks, 12" radius, medium jumbo frets. I like 'em.
    I have 1 guitar with a big 50s style Gibson neck, 12" radius, medium frets. I like it.
    I have one guitar with a wide (1-13/16 nut), deep neck, 12" radius, small frets. I like it.
    Oh, and a 12-string with a wide, flat neck, 16" radius, small frets. I like it.

Scales range from 24.75-25.5" I like 'em.

If I mess up, it's my fault.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.