Are you not sure about buying a Squier?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Nhhiggy, May 17, 2014.

1. tape

tape Tele-Meister

I have a CV 60s P-Bass, a VM Jazzmaster (the newer, more-or-less vintage-correct one), and a VM Bass VI. They're all fine instruments. I made a couple of mods (Mastery bridge, AVRI trem and locking tuners) to the Jazzmaster but otherwise they're all stock and I really like them all.

2. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Got rid of my Fender Strat after comparing it to my '60's CV Strat. My Tele Special is a keeper. And on the bass front I am getting rid of my MIA Fender Jazz Plus and keeping a 1982 Squier Precision and a more recent P bass Special.

Still keeping my standard Tele, though.

3. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Well, since the question is exactly the same, word for word, as the one posted on Strat-Talk, I'll answer the it same here...word for word.

I came to Squire purely by accident and if not for an incident of absolute happenstance, I quite likely would never have played one except for that incident...I now own two, a CVC tele and a CV 50's strat, just as you do.

I've gained a ton of respect for the Chinese made products offered by FMIC and recently purchased a Gretsch 5420 as well and (while Korean made as Tele Convert reminds me) it's every bit as good as the Squires.

They all have pretty crappy electronics and require upgrades in that arena and I also found (in my opinion) that the trem on my CV 50's strat was kind of junky as well but a minimal investment in upgrades on all of these guitars will get them to play and sound as well as anything you can buy at five times the expense with an otherwise branded headstock.

So, no. I'd not be apprehensive about buying any FMIC made in China product going forward unless the quality diminishes and considering how well received they have been to date, I don't see that happening. I can only anticipate the next releases.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  4. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Nope. I'm quite sure about it.

5. Pickin N Grinin

Pickin N Grinin Tele-Meister

I was just looking on "the auction site" for lefty Tele bodies and up pops a butterscotch lefty CV body. Weight: 7 pounds. Yes, just the body, 7 pounds. Maybe they're making them out of concrete and just paintiing the wood grain on em. LOL

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah www.Fender.com. :rolleyes:

7. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I love my vintage blonde CV Tele. It's an awesome guitar. The ONLY thing I'd change is the neck. It's a little thin. I still love it but if it had a thicker neck it'd be about perfect.

8. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I have found that some Squier are good and some are jokes. I like what I see in recent models though. Since Squier produces entry and mid-level guitars, you need to play it yourself before buying. To me, it's good as modding platform. I don't feel a need to buy Fender.

9. cake1979

cake1979 TDPRI Member

I've had two Squier Tele's (a CVC and a VM Thinline) and am currently looking for a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. The Classic Vibe played better than the MIM Tele I had, so I sold the Fender and kept the Squier. My brother has an Affinity Tele and it's really not that bad either. I think it cost him $85.

Like most guitars, there are bad examples. But if you get a chance to play them before you buy them, you can weed out the bad ones. As many have noted, if you find one with good bones and mod it a little, you can get a killer guitar for next to nothing.

10. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I have a VM thinline that I liked well enough to throw a set of Keystones and a 4 way in it.

11. jon@home

jon@home TDPRI Member

I hear what your saying. But I don't look at a guitar that needs some fret work as a lemon. Every guitar I've bought needed something. My '66 335 had some issues as well. But don't get me wrong, I like my tele, play it almost every day. If I had paid 1k+ for it I may have returned it, but for $400 I'd rather fix it and gain more experience. I work on my own amps too.

12. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

I tried a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster just because I thought it looked cool a couple weeks ago at Sam Ash and it had such a spanky sound that it completely intrigued me. I tried a bunch of other VM and Classic Player Jazzmasters, and, while most were great, none had that same spank. So during Memorial Day weekend I picked it up and haven't been able to put it down since. The pickups, satin neck and appearance really make it a winner. Try one!!
    Note - it had been set up with DR Black Beauties so that may have added to the spankyness, I'll know for sure after I change the strings.

13. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

If you check out the Squire CV club thread, which is as long as War and Peace, I don't think you will find one person who says they got the bad apple. I say, long live Chinese craftsmanship.

14. Linkinbassist

Linkinbassist TDPRI Member

I liked my tele so much that I bought another when the opportunity came up. They're great guitars, I've been looking for a humbucker-loaded guitar or a decent machine to mod and I always mentally came back to the CV teles. Stick with what feels good, I guess =]

15. papaphaedrus

papaphaedrus Tele-Meister

I have a black and chrome Tele standard that I have esquireized, a 51, a jaguar bass, and just traded for a vm custom. I love my squiers. I have fenders too, as well as Ibanez, epiphone and Jackson guitars, but the squiers get the most love and play time.

16. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Fender Setup Specs call for 4/64" on the bass side at the 17th fret. When mine is 4/64 at the 17th, it is about 3/64 at the 12th. Do you get any fret out on bends or buzzing with such low action?

17. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Tele-Meister

I believe it was 9.5.

18. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bought a white , maple neck Squier 70s Jazz bass vintage modified sight unseen , a couple of weeks ago .
    Couldn't be happier !

19. thegiftofyears

thegiftofyears Tele-Meister

This will probably sound crazy to people who own the CVs but I also like the Affinity telecaster. I'm fine with a top loader so that's no issue. I swapped out the pickups/electronics and have a real winner. In fact, I just ordered one of these: Lake Placid Blue

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  20. jon@home

jon@home TDPRI Member

My mistake, I have mine set at 2/64 at the 17th, not the 12th.
    Yes I get fret buzzing but I can bend most strings without them fretting out.(I can play Jessica no problem) My hands are not as strong as they once were so I'm going for low action/small strings. I'm hoping leveling the frets will help with the buzzing. I have some high frets that are causing most of the buzzing. Setting up the action at 4/64 gets rid of some buzzing, but not all. But then it's too hard to play, for me. Again, not a big deal for me and the tele still sounds great and the uneven frets are the only thing "wrong" with the guitar. I replaced the bridge with a Callaham for better intonation and lower edges. I have no other "mod" plans, just fix the frets and then play the hell out of it :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.