Are you nervous leaving your guitar with a tech?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by haggardfan1, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Bull crap and attitude can take you far. Crazy helps too !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

Since I've been moved to a small town, I've been using a luthier/technician who is about 30 miles away to do stuff I can't. He does great work, building and restoring guitars, and doing setups and repairs. He has several apprentices working for him who are learning the trade. They are sloppy and do subpar work. They make me nervous.

About a year ago, the luthier moved back to Texas, sold his business to his apprentices, and left guitarists who need work done with his staff. I had some work done on my Tele, installing new pickups and a reversed control plate. They screwed up the plate. They had messed up the neck binding on a 335 while doing some work on the nut. The luthier had to repair that before he left. Now that he's gone, I guess I'll need to find another tech.

There are no other good techs within 30 miles, though I may have found one within 60 miles. I'm considering replacing some pickups in a Carvin. I guess I'll have to get him to do it.

3. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

No offense, but I wouldn't worry about an Affinity Tele under any circumstance, as they are easily replaceable. A '50 Broadcaster; YES I would worry. But I do all my own work, so...no.

But I DO worry leaving my Harley off for repair, even though I have been going where I go for 17 years & they have always done right by me.

SAguitar likes this.
  4. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

I do nearly all of my guitar work, and actually love tinkering with them. I decided early on that I should learn to work on them and have purchased a few good tools to help in that endeavor. In 50 years of playing, I have only left one (a Les Paul) with a luthier. It needed all new frets and resurfacing of the fret board. That one did make me nervous, but it turned out great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.