1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you like me? Only a 3 saddle bridge seems right?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Torz Johnson, Sep 1, 2018.

1. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Personally, I like the look better, and a three saddle brass bridge seems to feel better than a six saddle bridge. I will freely admit that it's probably all in my head, but I like what I like. ;)

2. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

This is on the Sweetwater web site.

"Professional Telecaster blends the best of old and new is its bridge design. Back are the three brass-barrel saddles that helped imbue vintage Teles with their unmistakable twang. But this guitar's brass saddles are compensated to achieve flawless intonation all the way up and down the fretboard. And the "ashtray" bridge plate is designed to give your picking hand plenty of room, even while palm muting."

Does anyone know what difference the new saddles have compared to vintage ones to obtain better intonation? Yes the shorter height bridge plate is an improvement and I thank them for that.

3. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I’m sure we could go find multiple threads on this topic... but here’s my tuppence-worth:
    First, accept that all guitar intonation is imperfect. That’s just science (guitar strings aren’t “ideal” strings, able to transition instantaneously at the bridge, nut or any fret from immobile to flexing at the same rate along the string). If you have perfect intonation at the 12th fret it will not be perfect at other frets. So we’re in a world of compromise anyway.
    Second, here’s some suggestions on how to get pretty close:
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/...donahue-on-telecaster-style-bridge-intonation

thegreatwent likes this.
  4. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have three saddle bridges and modern ones and appreciate them both and avoid words like "real" and hyperbole about the past.

When I'm the road I only bring one Tele and it's a modern bridge and noiseless pups. The modern bridge is more stable and easier for me to adjust myself in less than ideal conditions. When you're on tour finding a tech who can work on your guitar the same day is next to impossible and my eyes make it difficult for me to see fine measurements. I play sometimes with singer songwriters in acoustic bands where things can get real quiet and delicate and many clubs have questionable power sources The noiseless pups, while not "real" by some standards are a godsend. Right tool for the job. Sounds just like my real ones:)

When I'm Bloozing around town I bring whatever one matches my shirt:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought that was a poor design when I tried it. Even with 11s, the strings often wanted to rest where the little seams are and then wouldn't sound right or sometimes would barely ring at all. I'm not the most delicate right hand player which may have something to do with it - I once flipped a saddle over (180 degrees) on one of the stock Bibsby Tele bridges! Happened during a show. Every time I strummed the pitch dropped about 1/2 step. Luckily I figured it out between songs, flipped it around and kept rocking.

Ricky D. and Chicago Matt like this.
  6. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I got a 6 saddle bridge years ago for a partscaster before I knew much about them and I didn't know about the difference between modern and vintage style. The guitar plays nicely and souds great so I'm OK with it.

[​IMG]

Revelation and Chester Burnett like this.
  7. Chester Burnett

I feel ya. Note the coin tucked between the E/B saddle and the bridge lip:)

[​IMG]

MilwMark likes this.
  8. Chester Burnett

I had a long career as a pro musician without ever thinking about what kind of saddles were on my guitar. It was only after I semi retired from touring that I found the time to go down the rabbit hole with gear. Enjoy your guitar, looks cool. You should get a Swiss Army knife decal for it:)

9. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I don’t have any spacing problem. The strings can get close to the height adjustment screw holes, but close doesn’t affect the sound.

IMG_1589.JPG

10. thegreatwent

thegreatwent TDPRI Member

The JERRY Donahue technique absolutely works. How many thousands of recordings were made on three straight saddles. How many high level country artists (Vince Gill, Brad Paisley) use instruments with three straight saddles?

If it ain’t broke...

I have and do use compensated and uncompensated three saddle bridges and it spends on the instrument. I love Glendale’s products. Vintage vibe and great quality and attention to detail.

AAT65 likes this.
  11. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

For me... the 3 saddle is just a big part of the soul of a Tele. And as allready mentioned there are ways to solve intonation issues....if you have em.

12. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That’s what I immediately thought!

13. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Does “ everything” include sound and intonation? You did it for the appearance, correct?
    I have a close friend, a real musician, who feels the same way. When I asked him why he prefers 3 he told me “it’s hard to explain”.
    I get it because I feel the same about 6 saddles.

14. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I might do that!

[​IMG]

15. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pointless discussions are us, bring 'em on!

hellopike likes this.
  16. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

for me, it's more of an esthetic thing than "tone" -- I like the old style 3 barrel look. I have 4 tele's, got 3 saddle bridges on 3 of them:

IMG_2028.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2029.jpg

I DID actually remove a 3barrel from my 4th Tele (A classic vibe) - but that was because I was doing a Keef tribute w/ 5 saddles :cool:

IMG_2030.jpg

MrHamburger likes this.
  17. Torz Johnson

Torz Johnson Friend of Leo's

I do prefer the way it looks, and to me it "feels" best. I concede that there is likely a placebo effect, but if it makes me happy then I'm happy.

As far as intonation goes, unlike my other 3 saddle bridges this one is unusually close using a regular tuner. I'm sure a strobe would show that it's off a fair bit. But I don't care! :D

bcorig likes this.
  18. cosmiccowboy

cosmiccowboy Tele-Afflicted

On my newest and "SCAR" nothin' but 3 saddle bridge :cool:

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I kept checking the date to see if this was a zombie thread, with so many posting that they still believe they need a six saddle bridge to set the intonation.

Maybe the hobby guitar tech movement where we set up guitars to youtube, has created mass confusion in the misinformation age?

But in the misinformation age, repetition is king, and truth is passe.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well. a lot of the outcome depends on the willingness of the player to make various sacrifices. Some guys will not have this string or that one just a little higher or lower than its neighbor (vis a vis the fret) and some will insist on using 9-52 sets and so on and not every commercially available set of compensated barrel saddles will get them every single bit of the way (because of their refusal to make these adjustments). And so I think the 6 saddle guys will not listen to what you're saying, since in their world (where the string height is set with a feeler gauge and cannot be off, even a little, and/or where the choose a type of string set that defies simple intonation) what they're saying is information - and what you're saying is mis-information.

I think a guy may have to change certain things in the setup of his guitar, to make 100% best use of compensated barrel saddles. But one more thing: I think you have to change the way you actually play. It is a subtle thing, and those who have played a long time may be absolutely unaware of what they're doing, but the 3 barrel guys do things to disguise or eliminate the sourness that some notes should have. Or, at least that what I think I am seeing and I would say that's what I'm doing. I think the worst of the bad notes are when people resolutely play every note like its neighboring note; play like a robot as it were.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.