are you into skateboarding ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Apr 25, 2016.

1. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I ve skated for fun a bit, but never landed a ollie. And i m watching skate videos and i m wondering, if i ever have to do any sports this looks fun. Moreover i love the sound of skateboarding, the sound of the wheels on the pavement.
    But i m not so young, mid 30 s , and i m wondering if any of you kind of started late. I don t care much about about landing tricks, this would be the cherry on the cake. I just want to try and have fun in a healthy way, meaning i m trying to avoid breaking any bones at all.

Or should i try scooters ? ;)

2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Shoot man , I'm 67 I do not do extreme stunts - but go for it !

Mjark likes this.
  3. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I made my first skateboard in 1967.

Nuff said.................................

4. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I still skate sometimes, I started when I was like 11 and then picked it up again in my mid 20s. I still can't really ollie either though, lol. I finally pulled a couple off but can't do them reliably.

I mostly just skate around the park, it's a pretty good workout. I don’t worry about doing tricks or anything, that's where the injuries usually come in.

Get some big, soft wheels and you can cruise around pretty easily. Might also consider a longboard, but personally the big soft wheels have made the biggest difference (the ones I got are called Satori Super Kush - made skating so much easier than the tiny trick wheels most boards are paired with).

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Kind of hard to avoid watching skateboarding on TV, what with all the people smashing their nuts on hand rails and spitting out teeth after a spill at 70 mph downhill...

I hope to never see you in one of those clips!

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

When I was but a wee Bairn, my Family moved to Miami, Florida for a year while my Father worked on his PHD at the University of Miami.

During that year, I met a bunch of guys my same age who went to the same Elementary School.
    There was a kid from Houston, Texas that got us all hooked on the idea.

Back in those days they had just came-out with Neoprene Wheels and a decent Truck.
    But the everything was Plywood and the trucks were only Riveted on to the plywood.

Still, it was a blast. The State of Florida is very flat and that made for some great rides.

Our favorite places to ride were the Shuffle Board areas. Very smooth, shiny Concrete. We could almost Drift on it. Much to the Chagrin of everybody who like to play shuffle board because of all the skid-marks we would leave.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

NO gloves, pads or, helmets.

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

i hope i ll never see me in one of the clips either. But i don t intend on going that fast, maybe a nice confortable 50 mph is enough. I need to find a cheap skateboard and go to the park when there s no one to shoot videos, maybe at 2 am on a cold december night would be fine.

I ll keep the advice for the big softer wheels. A longboard is just for strolling i guess, and i might want to try at least land a ollie, so i wouldn t settle for a longboard.

9. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

I'm in my forties and still do it. Don't let age stand in your way, it's only a number, as long asyour body will let you.

10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm 43 in a couple weeks. Gave my last board to my daughter a year or so ago. But I hopped on it again just the other day. No need for tricks anymore, just fun to cruise around on. Great way to stay active.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Soul surfin' yo.
    Get you a longboard, a gentle hill and carve.
    I was around for the first wave of vertical in the '70s, but those days are long gone for me.
    Jay Adams is dead and I ain't feelin' so good, myself ;)

12. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I don't and I got a feeling this forum is more folks of an "advanced age" than young enough to skate... That being said, I always wished I could. I loved watching Rodney Mullen videos in the 90s. I can't keep my balance on one to save my life. Lol.

13. morkov

morkov TDPRI Member

I started to skate when I was twelve, in the mid eighties. I still enjoy to roll around now and then. I'm 41. I don't do to many tricks anymore. But it is still a lot of fun. I would advise you to learn to do a proper ollie, even if you are only crusing. It will be much more easy, and fun getting around. Not having to step of your board getting up and down curbs. It may take some time, but you will get there if you put in some effort. Just like playing the guitar really. Skate for fun, thats what skateboarding is all about. And by the way check out Mark Gonzales on you tube, one of mine alltime favorite skateboarders.

14. Pawnzito

Pawnzito TDPRI Member

Got my first board at 5. Got really into in my early teens then stopped until I went back to college and started hanging out with a guy who skated. At 24 I learned how to do tricks i couldnt at 13. Ive seen guys eat it bombing hills and walk away with a few scrapes and Ive seen guys go to the hospital from falling off there longboard just cruising flat. If youre go na get hurt you might as well have fun doing it.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I was way into skateboarding starting about 1964. Major resurgence in my 20's invading empty swimming pools and lots of illegal trespassing of huge culverts. A few too many scrapes and bruises ended it about 1980. Great sport and translates to tons of other sports like windsurfing, snow boarding and surfing. Go for it, but just know that you don't bounce off of pavement like you used to.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And here's where it all started. Between the skateboard and the guitars I went with the latter...

Obsessed likes this.
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried.... I've been a regular surfer most of my days, yet could never rip on the skateboard.... other than a few basic stand up and roll kinda stuff...drop into a few pipes and make it once in a while.... never got any air...

18. Dune736

Dune736 TDPRI Member

Been skating since 1988, and still do when i have time. I'm 42 now and run a skateboard company on the side.

Get yourself a regular street deck or a snapped cruiser board with soft wheels and just cruse the streets. Just the freedom of rolling is such a stress reliever. No need for tricks or ramps when it comes to that.

Stay away from long boarding though, that world is full of kooks.

here is the brand I run sleepskateboards.com

Also check out this interview with Jeff Grosso and John Lucero.
    two old schools pros who are or pushing 50. Touching to hear 2 guys talk about something they love so much.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

This thing of skateboarding, I understand the thrill. I remember some of my buddies having them in the 1960s, but they definitely didn't do any of the stunts that the future generations bought to the table. I wasn't allowed to have one, because my parents thought that I would "shoot my eye out".

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

In our younger days boards were a bit more rudimentary, roller skate trucks with softer rubbers, wood or glass boards..

We skated the rough side walks, roads and drive ways and petrol station concrete on weekends.. ones on a slope were more fun

... we never tried pipes, skate parks were few and far between, like a kids dad might make one in their back lot ..

just like the acoustic guitar, most vans going surfing had a skatey or two in the back for rainy/no surf days.... and we always were on the lookout for a new slab/drain to try and skate.... often losing skin and getting a few bruises...

I kinda figured I'd save my fall offs for in the water... much more forgiving than concrete....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.