Are you going out on New Years Eve?

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
This is pretty much coming through the way I thought it would.

The big question is what movies to stream. I have some good filet mignon at home; that will work.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
Absolutely not. I lost the desire to go out and party until midnight many years ago. Great thing about living on the west coast is all the TV celebrations are over by 9, then they replay, so I can go to bed at 10, then get woken up by fireworks at midnight, and go back to sleep. The New Year doesn't care if I'm awake to welcome it in or not, it's going to come anyway.

john_cribbin

Tele-Afflicted
Don't think I've done a nye this century.

Paying to get into a bar that's free for the other 364 days and then spending 20 minutes trying to order a drink that usually takes 2 minutes while being jostled by strangers who probably haven't been there since last nye ...

Nope, I shall enjoy a somewhat more civilized evening.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
Unfortunately not this year.
Waiting on an endocrinology intervention and can't afford to get as much as an ingrowing toenail.
Hogmanay is usually a free gig I do with a singer from Denmark who comes over for the occasion at an outdoor shamanic event in the Highlands, complete with fire walking and other bizarre practices.
The Scottish government have cancelled all events this year so at least I won't have FOMO.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
We are going to dinner at our favorite restaurant. Reservations are for 7:30. Should be home by 9:00-9:15
The restaurant is pretty much open air and the tables are distanced

Now if we can just get the tourists to remember they are not back home and follow the rules here

Maybe go to the beach on 1/1 for a while. Maybe not. That’s too far away to decide right now

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
Gigging about an hour away from the house, the major concern is winter weather moving in. I may have to spring for a hotel but my preference is to make it home, we'll see. My wife doesn't want to go because this particular club allows smoking, we played NYE there two years ago and she was sick for a couple weeks after. Last year's NYE gig was called off and we haven't played since the first of November because our steel player had a nasty bout with..um...something that caused us to cancel a couple gigs. I understand the club is sold out so it should be a fun night. I'll hang out in the green room between sets away from most of the folks; I don't drink when we play out, particularly on NYE with weather coming in.

I'm looking forward to playing but I'd rather stay home with my wife but I could use some gear bucks but the weather is gonna suck and I'll probably have a smoke hangover but it will be good to see my band brothers and play some. I suppose it's what I signed up for but I'm thinking I'll do one more year and evaluate it again at the end of next year.

kLyon

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
I remember when everyone - everyone! - who could play and sing, even a little - had a gig on New Year's Eve. One-handed accordion player? Booked. Tone deaf trumpet player? Working. Everyone.

About five years ago that changed. After a lifetime of being a professional on New Year's Eve, I could never make the switch to amateur. I stay home))

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Nope, but I don’t usually. Years past we’d have a do at someone’s house and stay over, but those kinds of friends are now several states away.

We’re also expecting a big system to move through, peaking tomorrow night… Taos already canceled their NYE event as a result.

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Not a chance.
Even when I was younger and was out 4 to 5 nights a week, there were always 3 nights I avoided going to the bars...

St. Patrick's Day
Halloween
New Year's Eve

Those were the nights all the amateurs came out. I just can't stand large crowds of drunks.
Even when there not in the same place as me, getting home always ends up with encountering a few of the walking (or driving) brain dead..

You can go ahead and add Santacon to that list. Nothing says 'amateurs' like a bunch of Drunken Santas slugging it out in the street.

We stay far, far away from Santacon. I'm surprised they even let it happen at this point.

- D

BobTheOwl

Tele-Meister
All night NYE parties are a thing of the past for me. This year it's a quiet night with the mrs and a couple of friends, a few quite drinks and a curry.

Pubs/bars round our way are far too full of dickheads on new years eve to venture out.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
It is such a simple matter
Must have been the 1970s when I noticed humans were herd mentality crazy.
How many calendars do humans have now and how many do we know of from past civilizations?
What exactly happens at midnight Dec 31?
Ever been to actual Times Square for the "event"?
I tried once circa 1990 and the pulsating non negotiable mob stopped us 1/4 mile from ground zero.
New Yorkers?
They SEEM smart?

But then I used to choose to get on the highway at the same time every morning, with four times as many other cars as the capacity of the road to work.
What gives with humanity?
Scientists keep testing humans and concluding humans are more intelligent than almost every other living thing.

How do we keep gathering en masses to make just terrible decisions, resulting in basically crapping where we eat and sleep?
I love people, but mob mentality is people at our worst.
Let me break it down for everyone. If you give the average person a chance, he will be "stupid" on you. Along with herd mentality, hate and tremendous selfishness is being inculcated in our society. Purposful lack of common sense is teetering our society. And hey, lets just "dance" around the Elephant in the room cause that's where things lye, denial of reality.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Gigging about an hour away from the house, the major concern is winter weather moving in. I may have to spring for a hotel but my preference is to make it home, we'll see. My wife doesn't want to go because this particular club allows smoking, we played NYE there two years ago and she was sick for a couple weeks after. Last year's NYE gig was called off and we haven't played since the first of November because our steel player had a nasty bout with..um...something that caused us to cancel a couple gigs. I understand the club is sold out so it should be a fun night. I'll hang out in the green room between sets away from most of the folks; I don't drink when we play out, particularly on NYE with weather coming in.

I'm looking forward to playing but I'd rather stay home with my wife but I could use some gear bucks but the weather is gonna suck and I'll probably have a smoke hangover but it will be good to see my band brothers and play some. I suppose it's what I signed up for but I'm thinking I'll do one more year and evaluate it again at the end of next year.
It's weird to hear about--and especially, to be in--places that still have indoor smoking. That's been over with in these parts for over 10 years.

I have sick people (fortunately mild illness) in my house, so no NYE plans--fine by me.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
This is pretty much coming through the way I thought it would.

The big question is what movies to stream. I have some good filet mignon at home; that will work.

Seen Squid Game yet? I usually have no interest in that kind of stuff, but admittedly got hooked and the series builds in tension really well.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
No, just like the last 34 years. When my gigging days were over my New Year's Eve partying was over. Now all I do is have to listen to all the "Bangs & Booms" of fireworks being setoff in the neighborhood. Sometimes the fireworks last so long I think to myself that I could buy a new Custom Shop Tele for about the same cost of money being spent on fireworks LOL!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Absolutely not. I lost the desire to go out and party until midnight many years ago. Great thing about living on the west coast is all the TV celebrations are over by 9, then they replay, so I can go to bed at 10, then get woken up by fireworks at midnight, and go back to sleep. The New Year doesn't care if I'm awake to welcome it in or not, it's going to come anyway.

We have identical New Year's Eve plans. For the world has those born unto it, who are called noisemakers, and the world is home also to those who are forced to listen to them.