1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You Driving a 200K + Mile Car ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Aug 25, 2020.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

2009 Subaru Forester with 225,000 miles on it. I just had the engine replaced with a newer one, due to gasket leaks. It would have been more expensive to fix the leaks than just swapping the motor out.

FYI: if you have an older car and want to do this, Japan does not allow people to drive cars for more than 50 thousand miles. So there are a bunch of fairly new Japanese engines being imported into the US. I got mine for $1,500.

2. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Yes I do

I drive a Honda Accord from the 2000. I got it with 100K for 1K and I did the rest, the one before was a SEAT Ibiza my wife broke with 350K, and before I had a Peugeot 106 I gave to a cousin with 320K.

I really always buy cheap second or third hand cars for less than 1K, keep them for 5 to 10 years and when I am done with them I give them to a friend or relative

Now I am looking for a kinda van to carry amps and all that stuff

3. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Sorry... I talk Kilometers, not miles.... 300K should be 482K Km... I have only done that to an old Peugeot 505 I had when I was young... I got half a million Km on that car

koen likes this.
  4. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Afflicted

Nope- Mines a 2004 Ford F-150. Purchased new. (Won't be able to do that again given the cost of new) Have about 225k I think.
    When he gives up the ghost, I, going to completely rebuild the truck and likely go with a crate or reman engine.

Peace,
    Jim

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

Here's my 2003 GMC Yukon. Always changed oil and filter every 3000 miles. Preventative maintenance done always on time. No cheapo replacement maintenance parts. Pictures taken within the hour today. 20200901_124743.jpg 20200901_124652.jpg

koolaide likes this.
  6. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

232000 on my 01 zr2 s10

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

That's an unusual one. I saw a white one in the carport of an apartment complex near me, that wasn't too bad - but then they told me motor was hurt. Most seem to be gone.

We drove the Dickens out of these things - they were a well respected whitewater kayak vehicle. These and Mitsubishi Montero SUVs were rugged and yet fairly cheap. You could buy it and feel OK leaving it for a week at a take-out point for a very long kayak adventure. One of my best friends finally did get stranded out there with one. They came off the river, and a porcupine or something, that had developed resistance to the poisonous properties of anti-freeze, and the porcupine had eaten through his radiator hoses looking for dietary minerals.

But mostly, I'm sorry to say, we didn't mind if they got trashed. We thought something inexpensive like this would always be available.

So funny that Suzuki Samurais somehow survive in numbers. But you can't really drive 10 hours on the Interstate in one of those - nor will it hold very much.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I did not know that.

Thanks for the tip.

9. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

My wife and I traded both of our 200k+ vehicles to get another couple of used cars a few years ago.

We traded off a Dodge Caravan and a Mazda Protege 5 for a newer Dodge Caravan and a Dodge Ram 1500.

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I just found this out a few months ago. The motors imported from Japan are advertised as having anywhere between 30K and 60K on them (the exact mileage of each individual motor is unknown). Apparently there is some emissions requirement law and that's why they do not allow cars to be operated beyond 50K. Look up JDM engines.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.