1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You Driving a 200K + Mile Car ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

Closing in on 200K with my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe.

2. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

LOL!

Oh, I got way more than that.

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Had two F-150's make 250K. One a straight 6, the other a V-8.

4. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

I'm currently driving a 98 Subaru Forester that's about to hit 260,000.
    It's been through the wringer.
    My brother gave it to me a couple of years ago & I've been driving it every day since I got it.
    He had done the heads about 2 years before he gave it to me.
    It looks rough after surviving fights with a school bus and a hit and run driver, both while parked.
    So body damage front and rear, but still running fine.
    I had a 1990 Chevy pickup a few years ago with a v6 and stick that had 209,000 when I got it. I drove that for about 5 years.
    Replaced the clutch and brakes.
    Other than that it never gave me a problem.
    I got rid because it didn't have ac.
    Probably had about 290,000 by then. But the odometer stopped working.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  5. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

But.... He was getting his tele.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

04 camary 205,000. Any issue with the vehicle is do to my Wifes harsh treatment of the car. Her book, "how to start your car, slip it into gear immediately and take off" is a ladys best seller.Warming anything up is not an option for her.

7. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am driving a '98 Chevy Pickup with 85K miles on it. I bought it new and took care of it. It's still in very good condition and I couldn't buy anything nearly as dependable for what it's worth. It is likely barring an accident that someone in my family will inherit it when I leave this life

8. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

2008 Honda Civic EX - 331,000 miles - still my daily driver (90 miles a day).

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Our neighbor across the street was a Dean at Xavier and IMO a brilliant man. But he and cars, never got along. I happened to mention to hima couple times, that he should keep the '70 he had but someone tricked him into replacing it with a heavily Smogified version of the same car. And it wouldn't idle in the morning and so he started it and placed a brick on the gas pedal and let the car "warm up" for 15 minutes at something like 4,500 rpm. He was a happy man the day we had one of these Monster rainfall events and all the cars in most of the Xavier parking lots got inundated - and he got to replace his nemesis car, like this.

[​IMG]

10. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I haven’t had a car with more than 40k on it in 15 years. I lease them with little money down, drive it for 3 years and then get another one.

11. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, but I'm driving a 13 year old car that has barely over 70,000 miles on it. I've gone and become the little old lady who only drives to church on Sunday, but I don't drive to church on Sunday. If it weren't for our now annual trips down to and stays in North Carolina each winter (where I have to drive much more than I do at home because we're not in walking distance of any shops or restaurants there), I'd probably still have about 60,000. I used to love cars and driving - now I accept them as as an occasional necessity. But I think there's a good chance I end up getting 25-30 years out of this car, which may be as long as I need to drive.

-Ray

12. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Most vehicles built within the last 30 or so years, do not require a "warm up" per say. As long as you drive moderately until the engine reaches Normal Operating Temperature (NOT). What kills vehicles is excessive short trips, where the vehicle never reaches NOT. My ex went through 5 mufflers on our Volvo.

RomanS and boris bubbanov like this.
  13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Exactly.

People drive 3/10ths miles, park and go in and work out in the gym. 2 hours later they stop at the dry cleaners, then back home to shower. 2 hours later they go over and have their hair styled and 2 hours after that they go over and practice with the choir for 45 minutes. Every time the car has to go through the painful process of getting motor oil back into the areas from which it has drained and that oil is ambient temperature. Never did get up to operating temperature.

This turns ordinary oil into sludge, or coke. This degrades even fairly decent synthetic oil. Condensed fluids of various types, acids and so forth marinade in there and this is not what internal combustion motors are for. Problem is, of course, far worse in Connecticut than in Georgia, and insofar as Alberta or Minnesota, yeeowch.

RomanS likes this.
  14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Cold starts to gear? I don't care who says what 30 seconds. Instead of starting the car and making sure everything is ready. She has everything ready, starts the car and goes to reverse ASAP, with light aggression. SHe can make your car blow blue smoke too. THere is a fee. Aggravation.

Mike SS likes this.
  15. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

2003 Toyota Tacoma I bought new. Closing in on 236,000 miles.

16. Prairie Phoenix

Prairie Phoenix TDPRI Member

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 ~ 345,000
    1997 Chevy Blazer 4.3 ~ 330,000
    Both were still running just fine when I got rid of them. A little maintenance goes a long way.
    The wife's '04 Dodge Dakota just rolled over 200K. Not sure which engine off hand. It's a V8. Still a real clean and nice truck.

17. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

My 1991 GMC 3/4 ton van showed 141114.1 original miles two days ago. The worst thing about it is the crummy paint job is flaking off and the AC doesn't work (temps can range beyond 120 F during the summer).

18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

My 1998 Isuzu Rodeo is still going strong at 117K miles. A garaged car for most of its life - still looks great.

19. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

I just had to replace my 2005 Toyota Sienna in December. The engine finally went after only 428k :cool:

20. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

One of my prize, non-guitar possessions is a 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Station Wagon with the 350 LT1 Police motor in it. It was bought new at one of the local dealers by a school teacher, who had a stroke 3 years ago and couldn't drive anymore. Her son who was a doctor and not a mechanic, was selling it for $1000 the summer I graduated High School. It only has 128,000 miles on it, but man if I could actually come up with a $1000 I could buy it from my dad instead of sharing it with him. I love that wagon. The police motor just makes it even more fun. Although Chevy says it only makes 140 hp, all you have to do is ride in it to know that's a lie. You can take modern mustangs of the light with it...not that I've ever done that...Stock Corvette Transmission, Stock Corvette/police package engine, stock heavy duty suspension, and stock 235-75-15 tires make it a monster of a car. Its got room for all your buddies, a cooler, and camping gear for at least a two week stay, and two canoes on top...or you can put your band and all their gear in side and still have room to spare.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.