1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You Driving a 200K + Mile Car ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Aug 25, 2020.

1. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

100K miles, or Km ...hahaha. Many get rid of the car as soon as the warranty is expired. You can get good deals on low mileage , 4-5 year old used German cars from the rich folks in South Florida.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

See my post #120 in this thread.

Brendan likes this.
  3. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

We had a 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser that had over 260,000 miles on the odometer - but likely more because the odometer worked intermittently. Vehicle was solid and drove well.

It was totaled a couple of years ago in a freeway rollover crash.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My buddy traded an almost new 1984 Subaru wagon for an almost new 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser. I finally stopped riding with him in that thing. At least on high speed roads. Perfect, perfect for serious back roads and washed out bridges and etc., on whitewater kayak trips. But it truly did seem like a matter of time before it rolled.

5. Theorage

Theorage Tele-Meister

1998 Toyota Camry => 272K
    1994 GMC Sonoma => 198K
    2000 Nissan Quest => 155K

All running strong.
    Maybe I should sell a couple and buy a newer one, like a 2005, maybe...? :D

SnidelyWhiplash and slauson slim like this.
  6. Doorlord

Doorlord Tele-Holic

2001 F-150 with over 206,000 and 1990 Jeep XJ with over 283,000. Just did a compression check on the Jeep and all 6 cylinders have 183 - 185psi.
    The Ford was not so good.

7. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

I have a 1998 Toyota RAV4 with over 240 k-miles. She runs like a champ. I've replaced the battery and the alternator, and the tube coming out of the steering fluid pump.

8. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

First new car my wife and I ever bought was an '89 Toyota Corolla. Got 310k out of the original clutch! Man that thing was a tank.

9. MervsMods

MervsMods TDPRI Member

1993 Ford Ranger. 279k miles. Runs like a champ! I drive it daily back/forth to work.

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2009 Nissan Altima that just hit 150K ( Uber driver and lots of 'long local' gigs)
    I got it in August 2018 and 70K miles in 2 years I've owned it- yikes!

200K is gonna come sooner than I figured, but I want to hold onto it, drives great, and I'm trying to keep well-maintained.

Ate there any ' deep dive' maintenance issues I should be staying on top of?

Like timing chain, gaskets, cooling system, etc., I do stay on top of oil/tires/brakes and we have 30 years at same garage...

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Daily driver to work 7.4 miles one way.

'96 Chevy 2500 extended cab 5.7 Vortec. Still reads 60# oil pressure.

371,000 miles

Theorage likes this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, by a long shot. The larger tires have made my odometer useless, but I bought it with over 200,000 already on it. Engine rebuild time next spring. IMG_2800.JPG

13. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

My Versa has over 291,000 miles on it. The other day I was driving in Omaha, Ne. to pick up my butterscotch Squire Tele from the guitar tech. Getting off at the exit to go to the shop the car wouldn't go into gear. Then it started moving and I got it going about 20 mph. I made it to the shop and picked up the Tele.
    I made it back to the interstate OK but as I was leaving Nebraska it started stalling out again. I pulled off the road with just enough room to stop without getting rear ended. A lot of semis come that way going fast and wouldn't be able to avoid me if the car didn't speed up in time. I looked behind me and there was a lull in traffic so I went for it.
    Luckily the car speeded up and I made it back to my present hometown about 60 miles away. After I got off the interstate again the car would not go above 20 mph. I crawled the 2 miles to my driveway. It'll stay in my driveway until I can change the tranny. :D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  14. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

2011 Kia Sorrento- 205 K

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Chet, c'mon.

I'm not timid, out on the Interstate but this is kinda reckless, don't you think?

This is the reason my chest tightens most every time I even see a Versa - at least a non-hatch version. We tell people you cannot "buy safety" by simply writing a $ 50K check for a big Volvo, but you're at the other end of the continuum. With kindest regards you're basically off the continuum. Now you have us concerned about your safety.

Doing high mileage is not about scoring the most miles before the car takes you with it. I'll drive a car with a mashed in door, smashed out side glass. Or broken AC. But that vehicle is still mechanically a match, or better, for the other cars out there. And if it isn't a match for them, it gets parked and it stays parked until it is really ready to do more than roll.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  16. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My 04 Jeep Liberty is cruising towards 195,000. So far still running strong. As with all my cars I will drive it until it drops, then call the local Auto Recycler who will come and give me scrap value (around $200) and haul it away.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  17. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Next oil change, I will be, I think. so, at the right we're going now, that should be in a nother couple years or so

18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

392000 km's 2008 VW Caravelle runs
    great
    And a fleet of older Volvo's , they have a lot more on the clock

19. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

Thanks for your concern. That was kinda reckless, I admit but it was sweltering hot and I had my guitar with me so I had to give it a shot. Yeah...it will now sit parked until I decide to try and fix the tranny or not.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I've had two vehicles in the last twenty years.

Toyota Tacoma crew cab, from the 90's, got close to 240k; needed something a little bigger for travel with family, etc.
    Current is a 2010 Ford Explorer with 213,858 at last fillup. Mechanically fine, the little electronics, not so much.

Probably only got another 150k left on me anyway...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.