1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You Driving a 200K + Mile Car ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Aug 25, 2020.

1. gtrwrks

gtrwrks Tele-Afflicted

My current truck is a 2011 Silverado that I bought new. It's at ~168,000 miles at this time. Prior to this vehicle I had a '99 Chevy S10 Blazer that I drove to 320,xxx miles. Lasted a long time and lots of miles. The 4.3L Vortex was a killer motor.

telestratosonic likes this.
  2. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Do it yourself. Its a worth skill set, a rewarding task, and best of all it can save you money! Why pay $70+ an hour for labor when you can do it in your drive way with a ratchet and an pen ended wrench, $20 for oil and a filter? teach your children how to do it so that they will always have some way to make a few buck on the side, or get the band home from a gig when the car breaks down.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Buick is such a mysterious brand. Around Memphis and in North Mississippi, the streets and roads bustle with Buicks, with special emphasis on examples of the Golden Age you speak of for Buick quality. By comparison for a full generation, in California, you could go for a hour, easy, without seeing a Buick in use. This has IMO finally begun to change, because in China the Buick marque has always been very popular, and now some of this preference has bubbled up IMO in various built up parts of Southern California - also because Buick's #1 and #2 traditional competition, Olds and Pontiac, are no longer sold as such.

4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I just love all those brands. Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac, I wish they were still that quality.

5. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps 20 years ago. I’d say not now. Good make and service history...

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I look at it like winning the lottery or otherwise somehow suddenly becoming filthy rich. There will be many who will say "money can't buy happiness". May be true. But I've never been in a position to actually test that theory, if you catch my drift.

I would very much like the chance to decide for myself whether commuting in a Jeep or Bronco will be hard on my back or not. :D

7. boris bubbanov

Agree 100%.

But can I add, that cars may actually start requiring MORE maintenance now, at least measured in terms of miles. I think some of these integrated maintenance programs in cars will not account for the degradation taking place when the car is sitting and is not in use. I would like to see people move from All Dino or Part Synthetic crankcase oils, to fully synthetic ones and this might carry over to some of the other fluids as well. I would like to see people switch from 0W16 to 5W20, because gas efficiency is much less important as usage plummets, and because the super thin oils have a way of draining off parts - the film can be disrupted. Go a little thicker with your oil; keep those bearings and wear surfaces protected when the car sits.

8. boris bubbanov

:^)

I bought my S-2000, knowing full well it would rough me up. But life is for living, so I plunged ahead.

I'm just saying, maybe rent a sedan for any long distance trips, or keep one as your second.

9. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Two of the best vehicles I ever owned were Pontiacs: a 1982 Grand Prix with the big V6 (4.3 IIRC), and a 1992 Bonneville with the 3.8. Both were high mileage used cars when we got them. That 3.8 especially has to be one of the best powerplants GM ever built.

My first wife drove each car for several years, with nary a hint of engine trouble. We had issues with the A/C on the Grand Prix, and the antilock brake pump once on the Bonneville...but that was about it.

10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Right. I was actually surprised to find that depreciation on an accord was higher than I thought. Not a big deal. But it limits how much trade in value it can provide. Better just to keep it, even if I get something else mo' funner.

11. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

To those saying brand doesn’t matter, they will all hit 300K+ if maintained. It’s true they will. With maintenance.

The question is what is that maintenance costing you? My brother had a Ford Focus, 178K before he finally gave up and sold it for $500 after spending well over $2500 in the last 6 months of ownership to keep it on the road.

My Honda’s have only ever needed the new muffler and some motor mounts and still run like new.

jh

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

We were assuming we'd get at least 250-300K out of a 73 Volvo 740GL wagon. At 148K, tire smoke drifted past my window as I looked in the rear-view at a full-sized Dodge Ram 4-wheel drive desperately trying to stop.

13. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No, just to be different my 2013 Avalanche has a little over 80k and my 2015 Buick 60k.
    My previous Avalanche had 160k on it. If they wouldn’t have stopped making them in 2013 I might still have the 2002.

14. Riviera Daddy-O

Riviera Daddy-O TDPRI Member

266K on the mighty Honda Odyssey

15. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

My wife's 1998 Altima is approaching 300K Castrol High Milage 5w-30 since 75K
    My daughter's 2003 Outback wagon is approaching 400K Castrol Edge synthetic since she got it at 175K

I do almost all of the maintenance on both. Timing chain on the Altima at 275 was a royal PITA. Timing belts on the Outback are far easier.

16. NigeG

NigeG Tele-Meister

My Wife drives a 1998 VW Transporter. It shows a little over 200k on the clock.

We estimated it’s actually done closer to 250k as the speedo was replaced at 39k according to the service book and we’ve run it for about 18 months with no speedo working (now fixed). I used an iPhone with a GPS SpeedTracker app taped over the speedo on long runs.

Starts on the button every time, has rarely let us down in 12 years of ownership. Returns over 40mpg most of the time.

It’s cost a lot sometimes. New cam belt and water pump is over £650 fitted - done twice. Dual mass flywheel was £900+

Unlikely we’ll ever sell it as he’s part of the family

17. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Daily driver = 2011 Nissan Rogue with 241K miles.

18. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

I picked up a 2001 Civic as a cheap commuter in 2016. It had 160K when I bought it and someone rear-ended me at 225K last year. It was totaled, but the damage wasn't that bad cosmetically. You had to smack it like Fonzie to get the trunk lid to latch. 233K and it's getting sold off next month. I'll probably get $500 for it. Aside from a timing belt change and radiator, I didn't have to do anything else to that car. Original starter, alternator, window motors, fuel pump, etc.

Fuelish likes this.
  19. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    My ‘15 Honda Fit has a ways to go, but am sure it’ll pass 200000 as I have no intention of ever getting rid of it...probably the last car I’ll ever have with a manual, it’s small on the outside, big on the inside, reasonably quick (as quick as the dismal “muscle cars” from the later ‘70’s, anyway), great mpg, fun as all get out to drive... it’s a funky lil thing, love it to death

20. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I drove a 2001 Civic EX 424,000 miles, mostly interstate commute 100 miles per day, then sold it in 2016 for $1000. Still had the original clutch; never needed anything other than normal expected routine maintenance.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.