1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You Driving a 200K + Mile Car ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Aug 25, 2020.

1. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I drive my cars into the ground after I have driven the wheels off of them ... i may have hit 200,000 miles, maybe once....

Then i crashed, and banged my skull ...

What was your original question question???

Karljoris likes this.
  2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

About a year ago, we bought our son a 2009 Camary. It had 155k on it. After bringing it home, we learned from the paperwork that the first owner put 150k on it in 5 years and the second owner put 5k on it in 5 years. For the first month he drove it, it smoked a bit and used some oil but that has all stopped now and it purrs like a kitten. Moral of the story...cars were built to be driven, not parked.

3. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

1990 Volvo 240DL Automatic. I have had this car for 3 years. The odometer says something over 285,000 miles, but it was not working when I bought it, and may have quit working 10 years ago, who knows? I have had to make repairs, but the basic engine is still very strong. New muffler kit, new catalytic converter, new exhaust downpipe, new head gasket, new intake and exhaust gaskets, new oil seals, new belts, new water pump, new idle air control valve, new fuel pumps (there are two), new fuel filter, new fuel pressure regulator and accompanying vacuum hose, new mass air flow meter (that one stung), new speedometer chip (fixed the odometer!), and last but CERTAINLY not least, new heater blower motor.

Every time something was wrong with it that needed a repair, it was done within a weekend; even the head gasket replacement, and the compression is still VERY strong (I have the numbers around here somewhere...). It does not eat oil or coolant. If I ever need another beater car, I'm thinking a Volvo anywhere from 1988 - 1995 or so will be just the thing. Earlier 80's Volvos had a problem with the biodegradable wire insulation (what were they thinking?) and later than '95 saw the demise of the famous "Red Block" engine. Those things last almost forever. Almost.

RomanS likes this.
  4. Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson Tele-Meister

2007 Toyota Sienna van--206,000 miles.

5. Karljoris

Karljoris TDPRI Member

Bought a 1996 VW Passat Variant 1,9 tDI with 60000 miles in 2000, drove it till 2017 and sold the car with 32oooo miles, still running excellent (too much rust). Bought a BMW E46 328i with 178000 miles after this, now 199089 miles and I am sure to cross 200000 miles this year.

6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

we still use my dads 1988 silverado pik up. 247,000. leaks oil. he bought his last new truck in 2013 an they told him give him 500 dollars for the silverado. he told em it would rust out and rot away in the drive way for 500 bucks, and it still is. WE do use it all the time for home depot runs and get gas for the mowers. Its been a tank.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

An occasional oil change will extend vehicle life ...

A lot ...

My late Dad put 200,000 on a Chevy Chevette ..

aging_rocker and MarkieMark like this.
  8. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

My ‘89 LXi had 336K on the clock and didn’t owe me a thing. She was a 5 Speed, looked like a mini version of
    a 560 SEC. Pearl White nice ride.

9. Timjag

Timjag TDPRI Member

volvo 240.png Need you ask?

edvard, aging_rocker and RomanS like this.
  10. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Driving a 2006 Highlander Hybrid with a little over 350K on it...every day...about 100 miles a day. Was previously owned by a woman who commuted from Boston to Bar Harbor Maine 3 times a week!

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

1989 Toyota LE 4X4 cargo minivan, 220000 km

Van Toyota+.jpg

1991 Toyota Previa LE minivan, 475000 km

1991 Toyota Previa DLX minivan 375000 km

2002 Toyota Sienna SE minivan 412000 km

Previa VS Sienna côté.jpg

Presently driving a 2013 Sienna SE with only 189000 km on it

180902 Sienna SE 2013-.jpg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The most mileage I’ve ever put On a car was 125k.
    My current car has 28k on it and I would be over 80 if I kept until it has 200k.
    It could be my last vehicle which has made me consider whether I’ll trade it before it’s time. There are newer safety features being added all the time as a result of “autonomous vehicle” R&D. That will be probably be helpful as I become an older geezer. Plus, maybe there will be more electric models available. EVs require less maintenance.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you.

I think part of the issue is, people using cars just for short errands. As I suspect the "second owner" did on your son's Camry. Modern IC cars don't really get to running properly until there's some heat in the motor, and the fluids. I would like to suggest, that you drop the oil pan and see how much coke and sludge may have accumulated in there - if you haven't already.

14. boris bubbanov

Yeah, folks are in a sort of pickle right now. Working from home, maybe for some time to come. Not commuting anymore and so trying their best to keep whatever vehicle they have going until more is known about where The Future is going.

I acknowledge it seems like a horrible thing, to be logging maybe 50,000 miles per year and of course it will be much less, this year. Will the plan I laid out in my "9-5 wagon" post above, of owning 7 vehicles (six on the road at the moment) make sense if my mileage is cut to 1/3 (just guessing) of what it had been?

Folks keep thinking that the electric vehicles are for people who drive a lot of miles. IMO that's wrong. Maybe it will be for those who drive a lot of hours, stuck in congestion. I mean if you seldom use a vehicle, how do you justify something like Tesla. But, IC vehicles are at their very worst, going to the nail salon and dry cleaners and other things you could probably just walk to if the weather permitted. Electrics do this sort of thing, far better but are there enough people who are excited to spend $ 50,000 for an e-vehicle to go to the grocery store?

mgreene likes this.
  15. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

The 2012 Daage blew up at 150K. Apparently a well known fault - the lifters eat the cam. Called SRT customer service; said what they always say: "Derrrr.... sorry cant help."

Amazing catch 22 - the top end rebuild kit for this engine is backordered for months - maybe forever, as this engine, the 396 Hemi is apparently discontinued.

I bit the bullet and got a new engine - not rebuilt, but actually new. In some hidden warehouse somewhere that big engine guys know about, new "overstock" OEM engines are sometimes available.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I have almost 90k on my 2015 Accord. Just paid it off. :cool:

It will go far over 200k, I'm sure of it. The question for me is whether I want to keep it that long. It does the commute, trip, and family hauling thing just fine. And with ~30mpg. Cheap trunk bike rack is working perfectly for me to and from the local park for mountain biking (one of the few things keeping me sane right now).

And did I mention it's paid for? :):):):):) Right in time for my oldest to start college, and the other next year.

I have absolutely no reason not to keep it until the wheels fall off.

But I'm also almost 50, at near peak of my career income potential, and could probably afford my mid-life crisis car in a year or so. :twisted: I've never had a new 4X4. I've always wanted a brand spanking new 4x4. A real 4x4. Not a unibody grocery getter in disguise. They ain't cheap, and not getting any cheaper any time soon.

That's always been a Jeep, Taco, or 4Runner. Until the new Broncos were announced. Just about the right time frame for peak mid-life crisis for me.

Will be watching these very closely the next 2-3 years. No hurry, obviously. But the closer to maybe I get, the harder it is to wait. We're only on this planet a short time. Hopefully I'll still be here long enough to put 200k+ miles on something like this.

[​IMG]

17. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Ah yeah, I’m 35 and already thinking of my mid life crisis car. My kid is 5, so I have probably 13-15 years to think about it.

Should have my credit cards and student loan paid off by then....hopefully.....

Whatizitman likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

[​IMG]

Go talk to a local orthopaedist before you 50+ somethings buy something like this as your daily driver. Short wheelbase and choppy ride will mean backaches.

I've got an S-2000 and I need to go soak in a tub of hot water after driving it 600 miles or sometimes, just half of that. Miata, almost as bad. In comparison I can do up to 1,800 miles in one of those Saabs, just stopping for gas and restrooms, then set up a tent and sleep on the ground.

19. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Not quite 200k but my 2000 Buick Park Avenue is at 196800+ right now. The plan is to drive it until the state tells me I can't. The goal is 450K+ miles. Shes beautiful and drives like a Cadillac, easy to work on, a 4.0+ star crash rating, 28.9mpg+ on the highway for a full size 4000 lbs car, and she will drive through almost anything. She's also almost dead silent. Like you actually can't hear it running when you are in it doing 65-70mph. I've gone places a Jeep couldn't go with it. Never, ever, gotten stuck. Not only that but its big enough that I can get almost a full three piece band in it, including people! Also they are nearly impossible to kill. I had a 1999 Park Ave that was completely rusted out at 189,000. It still ran like a top but leaked oil. I drove it 50+ miles one day with less than half a quart in a 5 quart motor and it never had an issue. A stunt like that would kill a lesser car. I mean, I've seen newer cars with far less miles totaled by less. Not only that but it just plain looks good. The lines are perfect, and it has just enough teeth to get you in trouble.

20. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I've barely done 100 miles since March now that my daily commute is about 20 feet from the bedroom. I'm not sure whether I should bother with the scheduled maintenance my car dash says is due in October.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.