1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You Driving a 200K + Mile Car ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PCollen, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

....which leaves a huge pool of great, cheap cars, for guys like me. ;)

boris bubbanov and Crowcaster like this.
  2. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

2011 Corolla 202,444 - I bought it commute 100 miles a day and it just won't die. I retired 3 years ago.

telestratosonic and getbent like this.
  3. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

My current ride is a 2017 Prius, I have put about 50K on her, but I am sure I will take her well beyond 200K...

20161106_224142573_iOS.jpg

Prior to Prius was a 2014 Ford Focus. I actually swore to never utter that name again so we won't talk about that one.

Before the car that shall not be named again was a 2001 Ford Mustang GT. Had her for 12 years and over 200K miles...
    She spent most of her life with two car seats in the back as a Flashy Red family hauler :)
    She still had a lot of life left when I sold her, I am sure she is still driving around town somewhere...

2760dsc00020.jpg WP_20140227_16_50_24_Pro.jpg

jfgesquire likes this.
  4. Crowcaster

Crowcaster Tele-Holic

2002 Buick 3.8....next trip to town will turn over 230,000. Before that a 95 Pontiac Bonneville that got me 245,000. I'm hoping to get over 250 K ion the Buick.

No car payments = more guitars! :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    haggardfan1 and joe_cpwe like this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Close. My 05 Kia Optima has 190 k on the clock

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought my ‘06 Volvo XC70 from the original owner with 199,990 on it.
    Around 230k now.
    It was funny, the seller went from listing at $2600 when book was around $5k, then later lowered it to $2200, I offered $1850 as I pulled out the envelope full of $100 bills out and he was so happy to get the CL selling over with he countered with $1800!

It needed some brake work and tires plus was scuffed up but had all dealer service records.
    I like post 200k late model better than low miles sat for years can’t get used parts last century models.

7. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I put 239+K on an '87 Dodge Omni 2.2L 5spd. between late '87 and 2002. I sold it and from there
    unknown how much further it went. It was very low maintenance.

jfgesquire likes this.
  8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

Those Mopar 2.2L were very easy to work on. I had an '85 New Yorker with the Turbo 2.2.. Cracked a head at 145k and I was able to replace it with a brand new loaded head in my driveway in about 2 hours! I got another 40k on it before I sold it.

The Shelby Omni GLHS was way ahead of its time (think Focus RS and Suby WRX) I love what GLHS stood for...

Geo likes this.
  9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Those were really cool "econo rockets".

10. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

well my car has 36000, but I have a ranch truck (f150) that has over 500000 miles it's on the fifth time around. (says 34000)

11. badger51

badger51 Tele-Meister

We have a 2003 Toyota Avalon with 230k miles on it and it drives great and is still in good shape. Rides quiet, good mpg, and costs me about $12/ month for insurance. It’s perfect

telestratosonic likes this.
  12. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

My car bought new in July of 2017 now has about 2,800 miles on it.

The 2000 Cadillac DeVille I had prior to that had 53,000 miles on it in its 17 years. Most of those miles were from yearly trips to visit my parents in Florida.

At almost 73 years old I doubt I could live long enough to ever get 200,000 miles on a car.

13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

2007 Silverado Classic, not quite 191,000. It's the first new vehicle I ever bought in my life, and most likely will be the only new one.

I'm hoping to get 300k plus. The truck is so clean that I'd consider replacing the engine or transmission if necessary, although there are zero complaints at this point.

14. joshote

joshote Tele-Meister

2005 Subaru Forester at 242,000 miles. Drove it across the country at 175,000.

15. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

My daughter seems to have a habit of writing off our high mileage cars. We had a 2003 Corolla with about 235k until she ran a stop sign and got T-boned about 7 years ago. That was replaced with a 2011 Mazda 3 which had 245k on it when a deer jumped in front of her and destroyed it 3 months ago. She now has a 2018 Mazda 3 with 20k on it. My wife has a 2011 Ford Fusion with 230k on it and I am currently driving a 2018 Hyundai Tucson with about 20K. Based on my daughters luck with high mileage cars, she's not driving the Fusion any time soon.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

I don't know if this car looks old, or very old, or just confuses the observer. But this is my way of getting off the Another New Car treadmill. It is fun to walk out into a parking lot and have no trouble at all identifying which car is yours.

Now, normally having an older car, or an "orphan" car is fraught with issues and hardship. But before GM tried to euthanize this brand, they agreed to see to the manufacture of a huge treasure trove of replacement and maintenance parts. And with almost all the dealers gone, the whole Inflation Cabal of marking up these kinds of parts didn't come to pass and parts are weirdly cheap. Most of that trove will apparently still be there 20 years from now.

And it just so happened that cars, especially certain cars, reached a level of reliability that never used to exist. And so, it mostly doesn't matter that you're out there driving something with no dealer network behind you. Why? Because many of the kinds of things that go haywire these days are, a complete dealer network can also be flummoxed by a problem, same as you and me. So my highly unorthodox approach is this: Buy FOUR of them (maybe buy more, they're cheap now) and then if one or the other of them develops one of those mystery electronic issues that can sideline any modern car (especially luxury ones with lots of features) you just park that car, and drive the remaining ones. Just make sure they're mostly the same product, with minimal differences (a little variation seems good). At some point you could use the parts from one to fix the other, but that's not proven necessary yet.

I just bought four sets of Bosch rear brake pads for these four cars. None exactly needed it yet, even with as many as 234,000 miles on one, but the price at Rock Auto (yes I hate their adverts) were $ 12 per car (not per wheel, per rear end of the car). 16 premium Bosch rear brake pads, for $ 50. So much for the myth that all parts for expensive European cars will crush your pocketbook.

The real secret to the success of this model, is a cast iron 2.3 liter, high pressure turbocharged motor. With high end engine internals. Not that I abuse the motors in these, but knowing they are designed to tolerate really high levels of boost assures you the motor is not heavily used up at 250,000. I still see various people trying to sell decent used examples of these with 300,000 miles on them, and more. I'm talking original motors, never overhauled, original timing chain and tensioner.

So, when you someone driving something like this, blasting up the Cuesta Grade or Monteagle Mountain, leaving the small Japanese and Korean cars far behind, nonetheless averaging 29 miles per gallon, that might be me.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    bromdenlong and aging_rocker like this.
  17. TimmyM

TimmyM Tele-Meister

I had a used 1992 Ford Explorer (I bought it in 1995 with 32,000 miles on it) I drove it everywhere when my boys were growing up. Both of them were playing year-round sports and we had games or tournaments almost every weekend. It lasted forever and would not die. My older son drove it when he got his license in 2006. When we finally let it go, we turned it in to the cash for clunkers program because it wouldn’t pass the smog test without putting to much cash into it. When all was said and done it had Over 284,000 miles on it.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Lets see, there are two in the driveway over 250k, and I donated a third one earlier this year with 287k. I put a new transmission in it, had new tires, everything worked, and it still had shiny white original paint when we handed over the keys. Went to a mission for battered women. There are TWO more in the driveway both have over 140k. And the last one in the driveway has about 10k. And I can think of three others that we turned 200k, and traded or gave away. We've burned a lot o' miles over the years commuting, hauling kids and visiting family. Glad that foolishness is almost over!

elihu and joe_cpwe like this.
  19. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

360,000 km on my 2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 4.7L V8. I t runs great. Just had an oil change on Saturday. I use synthetic oil and burn premium (91) ESSO (Imperial Oil) or Shell V-Power unleaded gas. I don't use gas with ethanol in it. IMG_2117.JPG

20. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I think I have about 265k on my '03 Park Ave. Last year the digital display for gear position and odometer went out so I'm guessing. Not much driving, working from home since Covid in March otherwise the could have been gone by now...who knows :)

We've taken multiple cars well over 200k miles including:

Chevy Astro
    Chevy Cavalier
    Cadillac DeVille
    2x Ford conversion vans
    2x Buick Park Avenues

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.