1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you all a bunch of weaklings? (rant, sorry)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T_red7882, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

Tim, yours is the rig i want the most, PR mic-ed up is what i dream of. I just get concerned reading all the posts about guys complaining about the weight of amps that should be within the realm of a healthy individual's ability to lift.

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Friend of Leo's

Nobody's saying they CAN'T lift the weight, they're saying they don't want to lift the weight anymore.

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Yeah, guys like to ***** and moan! It doesn't mean we CAN'T move the gear! :D

As a gigging bassist, I carry a much heavier amp rig than my brother (our guitarist)... and being careful of my back, I use a hand truck to move it!

Cheers, Tim

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Discs can degenerate with age... many older weight lifters have disc problems...

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/byname/Lumbar-Disk-Problems-in-the-Athlete.htm

5. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, when you're setting on the floor wondering why your legs are numb
    and won't move you get a different perspective on life... :D

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I would have to agree that the abillity to lift heavier things doesn't make you more of a man or a healthier person. Statements like that sound awful pretentious.

7. RiverDog

RiverDog Tele-Afflicted

Nicely put! Can't argue with that!

8. RumorsofsurF

RumorsofsurF Tele-Meister

I play through a '71 SF Twin. 80lbs. of pure pain to carry. I have a furniture dolly that I now use, but it's still a pain.

I love the sound, but I'm thinking about one of these:

[​IMG]

I'm only 25, and I already suffer from almost daily back pain from my job. I really appreciate rehearsals, as I get to use my Roland Cube 20!

All the other guys are correct. At 2am, everything weighs twice as much. Especially that long walk from the car to the house with all your stuff. I thought carrying a Twin would be no big deal either, until I bought one.:rolleyes:

9. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Ya know, when I was a kid of 16-18 and weighed in at a whopping 160 dripping wet with my football pads on, I could carry and throw two 55-75 lb bales of hay. Could hay all day and have energy left over for what ever.

When I was 25, I could still handle loads like that all day, and have time for my wife all night (if you will) and not worry that I only got two hours sleep. I finished college at 27, getting about 3 hours of sleep on average a night (working full time and taking a full + extra credits engineering load).

In my 40's I carried 70-80 lb backpacks so my young kids could go with me in the wilderness for several days at a time without getting too tired to keep up.

Now I am an old fart. My back if fine. I no longer relish the idea of carrying around 80 lbs of amplifier. I can still do it, for sure, but it seems stupid when I can get a dolly and use mechanical advantage instead. Call me a weakling, or testosterone challenged if you will. It is easy to have this kind of rant at 25. Tell me about it when you are over 50.

10. candh

candh Tele-Meister

Hmmm....I'm disappointed..a "guns a blazin" 25 year old stud....... with a twin...pfff

I was expecting a tripple rectumfrier 4x12 with 2 4x12 extentions and amp rack for the wet. I'll bet your Twin doesn't even have JBL's...:rolleyes:

Just having fun with ya pal.

11. Telepatio

Telepatio Tele-Meister

geez...what a bunch of geezers!!! i bet you wear a brace to lift your glass of metamucil in the morning too!

just kidding fellas! i'm a young, strapping lad of 28 with a big ole Super Reverb, but i tell you what, i hate packing that thing around, so usually i don't. i had a TR too and it was a complete pain to haul to gigs. i also go to the gym 3-4 times a week and for a living pack around light kits and heavy cameras.

there has never been a time when, the morning after carrying that Super up a flight of stairs and my back is tight as a virgin that i thought to myself, "i sure feel like a REAL man today!"

12. RumorsofsurF

RumorsofsurF Tele-Meister

Am I the only one that feels like this thread was a little "trollish"? Isn't that discouraged here? I think that the original post was a little inconsiderate...Just my 2 cents.

13. candh

candh Tele-Meister

I just built a cab for a 73 Super chassis I had laying around. I bought some of those new EH ceramic '10s not knowing anything about them other than that they are cheap. WORDS OF WARNING... these EH speakers have HUGE magnets and this 4x10 Super is a beast to carry. Re-thinking a separate head and 4x10 cab.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

T red is probably on the right track in the sense that we should be able to do more lifting; we're showing our age and then some. I sense that musicians as a group do not take the time to do flexibility and weight training, and have been also involved in other occupations that tend to concentrate on 'get 'er done' and not on longterm muscular and skeletal health.

I still know a lot of mountain bike riders, runners, kayakers and hikers in this age category so many of us are in, and they collectively are getting around way better. We as a group really do need to take better care of ourselves that way, even if it does not involve gigging Twins.

15. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I lot of these men clearly know how to lift. What you lack in experience you can't make up for in intellect or expertise. Sometimes what you know is only half as important as how you know it.

16. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

OK, I'll play ...
    I'm 45, in pretty good shape, have always exercised, played sports all through school and stay pretty active now. I'm married to an awesome cook and the only 6-pack I have anymore is Tecate, so cut me some slack - she made pizza tonight, homemade dough and everything - so that's what I'm up against - Lol! So anyway ...
    Up until 2 years ago I lugged Boogies, a HR DeVille, GT solo-75 w/2-12 cab, gig bags, pedal boards, double guitar gig bag - all kinds of different things to different gigs. I've been doing this since I was 16. I make my living as a musician so it's not like it's once a week or anything. And, I was hauling all this ****e around in a sedan. Pulling it in and out of the back seat or trunk. Man, I just couldn't do it any more. I bought a used Explorer to haul my gear.
    It's not so much the actual weight of a 'twin' (or Boogie), it's pullin' it out of the car, lifting it up the curb, over and around some funky club door or hall way or even stairs god forbid. Lifting it up on to a stage and then the reverse of all that. And, doing it maybe in the dark, when you're tired and under a time constraint where you're not always going to be careful about how you lift.
    I was getting some neck, shoulder and arm pain that I thought was the result of just playing guitar everyday for 30 years. It wasn't from playing guitar at all, it was from lifting the freakin' amp out of the back of an Accord for 15 years. Since I got the SUV I feel fine now - proper lifting right?.
    I'm in total agreement about staying in shape and that muscle is good for you. But brother, I don't care if you're Charles Atlas, you won't be haulin' your twin around willingly in 20 years.

17. candh

candh Tele-Meister

Agreed on the topic of fitness.

Back to the Twin..lol.

Like someone else said,,it's not that we can't,, but rather, why bother??
    I'm a world class kayaker (four time All Japan finalist) and I CAN lift a twin... actually with not too much effort. It's all about streamlining. A Twin (or Super for that matter) is silly for the majority of gigs I (and dare I say most of the members of this forum) play.

Of course this is a troll thread but I'll partake in the festivities as long as it remains civil.

18. Telelicious

Telelicious Banned

To address the core post:

Spoken as a true 25 year old. I remember when I was invincable too.

Reading thru the replies and the digressions we do all sound like a gaggle of old ladies.

I'm nursing one of those phantom back twinges right now myself.

I forget who, but someone here on on this forum has a sig line that comforts me.
    How does it go?.......

Old and crafty beats young and stupid everytime?

something like that.

19. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

I'm 55, twenty years ago I herniated my #5 lumbar (lower back). I've been living with it ever since. I exercise daily and I'm in good health, however, once the damage is done, there is no going back.

I started playing again after 30 yrs off. My amps are a Pro Jr., DRRI, and a 59 Bassman RI. Before I bought the bassman, I pick it up, then I picked up a twin. The bassman stays in my basement most of the time; if I carry it, it's with a bear hug.

20. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

to the original poster.....

young sir, you talk like a man that is fortunate enough to have...so far....escaped any serious injuries, health issues, or other physical calamities that can happen to someone that don't have ONE CRAPPIN' THING to do with anything but ....life happens.......

some here are confined to wheelchairs
    others have had heart attacks, some multiple
    some have resperatory illness
    some have had major surgeries

the list could go on...but it won't...

i agree totally...this thread is nothing but an attempt to incite one's wrath, and i'll admit, in my case it worked...but i ain't gonna play any more..

i think you owe several of us here an apology for your inconsiderate tone, but as always...that's just My opinion....carry on, i hope you stay strong and healthy forever..others less fortunate than you haven't and can't.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.