1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you all a bunch of weaklings? (rant, sorry)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T_red7882, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TexGoneNW

TexGoneNW Tele-Afflicted

OSHA regulations suggest 80# is an accident waiting to happen.

2. trag-o-caster

trag-o-caster R.I.P.

I'd like to have you at some of the gigs that I played last summer. I had to park WAYYY in the back of the lot, and carry my Pro Reverb (I don't know the weight, but it's two 12" 80 watt Celestions) all the way across the parking lot, into the building, down a LONNNNNG hall, turn left and down another LONNNNG hall, through the door, into a large ballroom, all the way across the crowded room ("excuse me sir, excuse ma'am...) to the stage. I did that for a couple of gigs before deciding that I should just take the Deluxe Reverb.

I don't care HOW young or fit you are - THAT'S a workout!

3. peteb

peteb Friend of Leo's

An 80 pound amp I can understand why it is not for everybody.

I just don't understand what is too heavy about an 8 pound guitar that is hanging on your shoulder.

4. voided3

voided3 Tele-Afflicted

I'm currently in college and in my 20's and I always have preferred larger amps until I left home for school in the city. I knew before I came out here that I wasn't going to be able to use or move my big 'ol Kustom K200 2x15" rigs around without a car or elevators (which I currently have neither). I bought a used Carvin SX-100 1x12" and it was a perfect size with great tone. Now I'm probably going to be selling it because I bought a (lighter) Valve Junior stack and a Champion 600. The Valve Junior has worked well on bar gigs UNMIC'D with a blues band and in large jam sessions and my C600 fits in my backpack for practices. Right gear for the situation, but I have kind of moved from using vintage 100 watt solid state amps to 5 watt tube amps simply because the volume, while not immense, is enough for what I do and they take up less space (that and they are so right for blues when they get crunchy!). That said, when I'm home, those large amps still come in handy because most of the venues there are larger or outdoors, plus I have access to a truck. Only downside is all of gear is in the basement, so when I'm home I always just leave one of my 2x15" cabs upstairs or even in the truck because they are a pain to move, even though they sound great. I've decided though that for playing in a city, which am in for school, I'll never get anything bigger than my VJr. setup. If I need more power I'll get a ~30 watt tube head for the VJr. cab or maybe a Vibrolux (the REAL mini-Twin!).

5. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

Ok... I'm feeling a little bad for T_red. I can see where he is coming from. At 25, most people here would probably agree with him.

I agree with everyone else though. Why haul something heavy around if you don't have too?

6. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

None of your amps have wheels / castors ?
    Not good for crossing car parks etc , especially if you don't want to shake your amp to bits , but on a smooth indoor surface , they are a godsend .

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

In my duo at the end of the night I also have to pack a PA, Speakers,lights, 2guitars, pedalboard, amp,three suitcases of cables n cords, mics n stands. HMMMMM don't ever call this 56 year old wimpy cause here in Idaho we also pack!!!! hehehehehe... I can't help it....one of the best local bands I've seen in a while were...I'd say in their 40's or so and looked good on stage but when they took their break and walked off it was funny in a sort of macabre way as the lead guy must have scoliosis cause he walked kinda sideways... the bass player was gimp on the right side and the drummer was gimp on the left side...kinda had to be there but it was a chuckle.

Cheers
    ce24

8. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I have a nice folding hand truck/luggage cart. Very good for bringing my bass cab/head in, and then going out and getting PA gear, too.

Wheels are our friends!

Cheers, Tim

9. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

hey, i've got an arthritic hip from years of track and cross country and i've had three hernia surgeries (congenital, not from lifting). I'm not bullet proof, nor have i ever been of that state of mind. I'm also not totally into the bigger is better theory, if i could do like tim and afford a mic-ed up PR with me at all times i'd do that for sure, and i am currently building a 5e3 kit. I don't play my twin for volume, but for the clean channel. I also plug my guitar into my pod at home. I think many people here aren't lifting correctly, which definetely could lead to injuries. I checked the stock weight of a twin and its actually 64 lbs. I just become amazed at the amount of men here complaining about the weight of some amps. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with smaller amps, i just think that its not that much of a big deal to carry around a twin. Its just not that heavy.

I do understand that bodies break down with age (although this can be battled with consistent weight lifting, hrt and nutrition), but its not a huge amount of weight.

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I am not a rock and roller though, I play country and bluegrass. I lift 100 lbs feed sacks and heavy bales of hay on a regular basis, why do I have to have a Heavy amp that takes up space when I don't need it?

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

T_red7882,
    Remember... no matter how strong you feel now.... we all get the same discs seperating the bones in your spine and a compressed disc will pinch a nerve and it won't matter how strong your muscles are...

It is truly amazing how bad your back and pinched nerves can hurt... trust me.

I can pick up a lot but I try not to anymore... I had 4 Super Reverbs at one time... still have a couple, post back when you're 50 and you been carryin' big amps for another 25 years...

12. Colt W. Knight

My freshman year in the dorms I didnt have an elevator or air condition and i lived on the 4th floor. I dont think Id want to pack a twin from the Stadium parking lot across campus and up 4 flights of stairs. I just took my acoustic and banjo.

13. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Friend of Leo's

I thought you were joking with your first post. I'm sorry to see that you're serious here.

So I have a hatchback car. That means I have to lift the amp up over the back lip and set it down in the back of the car while all the time lifting with my legs. Well, I can't lean over and put the amp in the car while lifting "Correctly." I certainly can't get it out of the car correctly either.

How about the fact that picking up that 63 pounds with the handle puts tremendous strain on the tendons that you're about to use for fast and accurate control of your fingers. It doesn't take much to damage or strain you hands and forearms with the weight. Not good before a night of playing.

I'm big and strong. If I wanted to play a big amp I would, but I'm not a big amp guy. Never have been. One thing I can tell you for certain, you WILL eventually change your tune. I hope that TDPRI is still here so you can admit it.

14. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

As a certified trainer i can tell you with 100% accuracy that lifting weights keeps your back to its natural curvature and the more muscle you have, the less stress your spine/discs have to deal with. the stronger you are, the better.

15. scoots

scoots Tele-Holic

hey T red, tell ya what i figured out. at 30yrs old you discover your body parts have warranties. at 40, these start wearing out. at 25, bigger is better, let er' rip bro!---i know i did...

16. Colt W. Knight

I started out with a 16 pound banjo, now that sucker would seperate your shoulder after being at a festival for a few hours.

17. candh

candh Tele-Meister

If I didn't know better I would swear this was a Harmony Central troll thread.:D

T red,

What he man rig are you using? Please don't tell me you're using a VJ head and 1x10 cab.:lol:

18. Colt W. Knight

I would like to see the scientific literature to back up 100% of that statement.

19. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

twin reverb
    tele
    strat
    pedal steel (way heavier than any twin reverb)
    pedal board

thats whta i'll have at any given gig.

20. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Read back over this thread and you'll see that there are more than a few of us who've hurt our backs over the years. In my case, I was a professional brewer and hurt it picking up a 165 lb keg (and yep, despite lots of training and experience, that ONE TIME I lifted incorrectly...).

I've certainly picked up heavier amps than Twin Reverbs, though! I used to own an Ampeg V4b head that was a mankiller! Seriously, I suspect it was heavier than a Twin, and it was just a head! I often gigged a Music Man HD130-115 (and was glad it came with casters) that was probably about Twin weight.

Heck, I used to own a Hammond M-111 organ that took two strong men to move. It was so heavy that, when the band broke up, we left it in the basement apartment that we practiced in, because no one wanted to try to carry it out. I still kinda regret that, but really, it was damned heavy!

One final note: you might not have intended to (or maybe you did), but your posts seem to imply that REAL men carry Twin Reverbs without complaint, therefore those who complain aren't real men, or at least really manly. Coming from a 25 year old, that kind of thing can seem mighty insulting to those of us who are significantly older than that...

I'm just saying...

Tim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.