1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you all a bunch of weaklings? (rant, sorry)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by T_red7882, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T_red7882

T_red7882 Tele-Afflicted

Now, i'm not trying to be inflammatory here, but i often here people complain about how heavy certain amps are, like the twin reverb. Now, i know its not the easiest thing to move, but they only weigh 80 lbs, tops. If you can't carry 80 lbs around, you should probably see a health professional. I'd like to think that we as a sex (since most of the members here are male) haven't become so immasculated that 80 lbs scares us into buying smaller, lighter amps. Maybe its a sign to get your butt into the gym, lift some weights and take advantage of those powerful shoulders, chest, back and legs evolution blessed us with. same thing when i hear about people complain about heavy guitars around their necks, hurting their shoulders. thats about the most un rock and roll thing i've ever heard. If its hurts your neck, do some shrugs and man up.

Sorry, had to vent.

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

check back with us in 15 years

3. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

A good number people end up with back problems later in life. At that point, I'm sure anyone would consider reducing the amount of stuff they have to carry around. They probably will not appreciate being told to "suck it up" when they have a metal plate holding some of their vertebrae together. Lifting heavy objects (if done incorrectly) can also cause back problems. Maybe some would not like to take the risk? Understandable to me.

Also, even though I am a healthy individual, I admit to preferring a light amp if it sounds good. Lugging 40 extra pounds is not something I take as fun.

4. TeeBird

TeeBird Tele-Meister

My friend, who is my age and is a fairly beefy guy (he surfs) just broke his bicep pushing a boat. Had to have it reattached to the bone with screws.

When you get older stuff breaks.

5. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted

Uh, listen here, dude:

Time has a way of lowering testosterone count and bringing about certain changes in the way one's vertebrae align. It also reveals conditions in knee, hip, and shoulder joints that perhaps you can't yet imagine.

Rant if it makes you feel better. The years ahead may well cause you to change your tune, no pun intended.

I would point out that I've lived with a lower back injury since I was your age, acquired an abdominal hernia moving a stack of firewood, and have had numerous cancer surgeries. Enjoy your youth!!!

:eek:

6. Steve McGinnis

Steve McGinnis Tele-Afflicted

Man up!

An interesting phrase usually used to justify doing things the hard way. Personally I prefer the easy way.

7. camari

camari Tele-Meister

Ya ever hear of the story about the old Bull and the young Bull?

8. Telakaster

Telakaster Tele-Meister

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
    We'll see how you're doing in another 25 years. :rolleyes:

9. f69tele

f69tele Tele-Holic

this is funny.....

I remember when I was 25. I thought "bigger is BETTER".... everything I bought had to be big and bad enough to play a concert in the Astrodome. I thought "small" was for sissies and people who play in their bedrooms. I played keyboards mainly, at the time. I assembled for myself an 18-space rack on wheels that had all kinds of sound modules, mixer, amp, etc... It took atleast 2 of us to life it on a stage. Everyone hated me for it. Now, I'm happy to have my one keyboard that does everything. I'm happy to plug my Telecaster into my POD and into the main PA. I'm happy to play through a Blues Jr. instead of the 65 lb. Peavey Stereo Chorus I had in the '80's. But I'm no whimp... I'll walk 2 miles and grab the 55's to do butterflies with and bench 195 right with ya...

As said before, most people don't care anything about lugging that kind of weight around night after night, after you've put in your 4 hours and it's 2:00 am. If that's your thing, then knock yourself out. If I want to lift something heavey, I'll go to the gym.

10. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Lifting

At the end of a long night of playing. If you have given your best and it's cold you walk out into the parking lot, perhaps a bit sweaty from playing.

You are carrying your 80 lb. amp. You drive a smaller car because you are either cheap or green conscience. The trunk is full of stuff so you think, " Hey I'll throw the amp into the back seat". You pull the passenger seat forward and try to swing the amp into the back.

That's when feel that first......... void in your back. A little jab. An emptiness that sort of goes away as you drive home that night. The next day you wake up and your back is tight, a bit achy perhaps but not too bad.

That was 25 years ago and it's been getting worse every year.

Gary

11. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

Hey..... that's right! I remember back in my late 20's. I had a freakin' half stack and big ass Peavey Roadmaster head....120 watts, 6-6L6's!!! Now that's how you Man up!

Cut to 5 years later..... big ass SKB 10-space Rack with power amps and big extension cabinets.... but these had wheels!

Cut to 10 years later..... stopped using the racks and got a big ass 4x10 Fender Blues DeVille combo 60-70 pounds, but it had wheels too. Still, lifting that sucker into the back of a station wagon was sometimes difficult.

Fade to present day: back hurts and I'm freakin' 55 years .....69 Fender Princeton and pedalboard..... tone for days in a small box.....ahhhhh!

12. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

you get old, stuff starts to wear out, things break -- my first thought when I read your post was to look at your age, and when I did, it all sort of fell into place.

one thing to keep in mind -- as you age gracefully -- is that carrying an amp one-handed is a lot harder on the various parts than a two-handed lift. I learned this in my time doing sound reinforcement, where I rarely touched anything that didn't weight 2-300 pounds. I could carry two heavy cable boxes -- one in each hand -- a lot more safely than I could carry just one.

but heck, you're bulletproof. none of this stuff applies to you. I'm just a bitter old fart, who thinks it's unfair that the twenty-year-olds get to smoke but the fifty-year-olds who get the cancer from it.

13. Joisey

Joisey Tele-Holic

Head and speaker cabs for me from here on out. I have a twin I need to unload. Hell, I can't sell it fast enough. You aren't getting younger kid, enjoy it.

14. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I guess us geezers told YOU! :p

Age and cunning beats youth and vigor almost every time!

Here's another thing most of us old guys know that you probably scoff at now:

Low-to-moderate volume and great tone beats loud all to hell.

You're dragging your big, heavy, powerful amp up those stairs, and once you start playing the sound man is complaining you're drowning out the vocals, the singer is complaining because he can't hear himself in the monitors, the bartenders and waitresses are complaining because they can't hear the drink orders, and the manager is yelling at you to turn it down before he pulls the plug on you.

Mean while, I have an SM57 on my Princeton Reverb, it sounds absolutely glorious, the soundman is in heaven, I can hear my vocals in the monitor, the bartenders are selling drinks, and the manager is smiling and asking me if we're free for several more gigs.

...and I walk out at the end of the night with my Tele in one hand and my amp in the other...

:D

Cheers, Tim

15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

once I played my telecaster stright into my '55 tweed deluxe I decided that it was foolish to cart around a bunch of heavy stuff.

As far as "being a man about it"... well, I never met a woman who gave a hoot how heavy my amp was. And I'm not bringing out a bunch of heavy gear just to show other men how strong I am.

I play guitar because I like it. When I was young and single it was a great way to meet girls. If I wanted to meet other men who were impressed with my physical strength I would probably have hung out at a gym lifting weights. Whatever turns you on, I guess.

GreenMagicMan likes this.
  16. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Small Amps

It's funny.

Big Amps for me were more of a "What you are supposed to want" sort of thing. I, for the most part always had small amps. In fact it's a bit of joke with my bass playing friend. I had my loud beast for a short while but I never could manage the sound volume. A small amp got the tone w/o the associated problems. After my back issue the largest amp I had was a Deluxe Reverb.

What more do you really need?

Gary

17. crawdad

crawdad Tele-Afflicted

While I DO believe its a good idea to exercise and strengthen the body--and good advice to any age group--it does get harder to maintain the body at 55 than it is at 25. I went to a chiropractor at 27 and my spine was curved somewhat. Guess why? Playing a heavy guitar for five sets a night.

I've been through back troubles on and off for years. I remember carrying Hammond organs, Twins, huge PA speakers, power amps, etc. A year ago I found out that I had three herniated discs in my back. I don't even know how those discs failed, but I have some ideas.

When I went to the neurosurgeon, the first thing he said was: "the sad truth is that backs are designed to fail." The sad truth for you, my friend, is that the day will come when you will lose some of your muscles mass, your strength and your body will not repair itself as quickly as it does now.

Take a look at athletes. These guys work out and have a regimen of physical discipline that goes way beyond what most of us do. Few continue to play their sports at 40. By 50, their careers are over and it doesn't matter how much they exercise, diet and take care of themselves. Its not because they don't want to "man up," its because their bodies can no longer do what they used to.

You may be ten feet tall and bulletproof now, and lugging heavy gear may be a cakewalk, but I would advise that you really watch what you are doing. One bad move and you could have your first herniated disc--even at 25. Take care of yourself. Its not about being a man. Its just about taking care of yourself and using common sense.

18. Chikuzan

Chikuzan TDPRI Member

I thought this thread was a joke when I first read it. :rolleyes:

There are definitely more worthwhile things to rant about.

19. Flat357

Flat357 Banned

You mean you guys don't have roadies ? :eek:

Amateurs :D

Since hurting my back , it's a feat in itself to stay standing for 90 minutes , let alone carry amps .
    I've not played out regularly for a while , but when I do , the guys help me out :p
    A little 2 wheel truck is very handy too .
    If you feel like you have just come out of the gym by the time you plug in , then your playing isn't going to be that great , so be nice to your band mates , and they'll be nice to you lol :lol:

20. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Oh, but it WAS a joke, although it seemed to be an unintended one!

:D

Cheers, Tim

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.