Are you afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 25, 2018.

1. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Friend of Leo's

:lol:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Rumor has it that the dark is afraid of me, too!
    It only comes around when I’m at work, or asleep.
    I guess the dark is a fraidy cat!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I was not afraid of the dark growing up or as a young adult. In my mid-30s (1987) I was stabbed, came very close to death while doing water supply research in South America. After surgery and some weeks in the hospital I went back to the U.S. weighing just 115 lbs., but recovered and dove back into work and grad school. A couple of months later a short film started playing in my head; I got off a bus in the Ciudad Antigua of Quito, Ecuador and started walking along a cobblestone city street, white sheets flapped in sunlit courtyards deep inside buildings on either side...I won't drag you through the details but the film was the story of getting stabbed and what happened immediately before and after, and then repeat, and then repeat. Eventually, the film was the only thing happening in my brain. Dropped all my classes, quit my job, and felt - my image at the time - like a jigsaw puzzle sliding off a tilted table with all the pieces coming apart in the air in slow motion. Went to a psychiatrist who after a couple of sessions diagnosed my situation as PTSD and took me through a series of exercises/treatments that helped me arrive at half-a** recovery, enough to go on with life. But for approx. the next decade I would be overcome, awash with fear of, e.g., what might happen as I left work late at night and walked a half block to my car, etc. It wasn't rational. Just fear. So that's my long-winded story about being afraid of the dark. At his point I've still got some small, peripheral issues, but am no longer afraid of the dark, and lucky that I've gotten to some real recovery. My heart goes out to others who deal with more severe, more long-term PTSD impacts.

A Foot Thought: I got back to the states only to learn that I'd been awarded a full 3-year research fellowship by the Organization of American States to replicate my Quito water supply research in rapidly growing cities throughout the central Andean region of S America. I stood on the airport tarmac in Madison, Wisconsin reading the letter from the OAS. My oldest daughter, then 5, looked up at me as I read and warily, shakily asked, "Daddy, are we going back there?" Looking at her dear face I thought for just a moment then said, "No, Honey, we're not." I turned down the award and walked away from that part of my career. I mostly just tumble through life, but that's a rare, clear moment when I chose a different path.

4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

true 100% sensory vacuum darkness, I'm afraid of tripping over something or walking into things.

Otherwise, no. It's kind of fun.

I was horribly terrified of the dark as kids, and always had the same nightmare where a monster slid the wall open to reveal itself. Not sure why I thought leaving a night light on would do anything to stop them!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I grew up in the English countryside surrounded by National trust and Ministry of defense land. used to get a bit skittish walking along some of the public pathways between houses and woods at times but I'm not scared of the dark. We had a private paintball club and used to go and play in old WW2 bunkers and at the tank training ranges at Oakhanger when the live fire flags were down. The bunkers were pretty creepy but not exactly scary. Might have been because we carried thunderflashes for hand grenades and could have scared the poop out of anything there if we were scared ourselves and there's very little that's dangerous over there except other people.

The only time I got scared in the dark was when we saw Ball lightning one night when my mates and I pulled up at the temple of the four winds at the top of Blackdown, and this weird ball off light started drifting along weirdly in uor general direction with no sign of a person attached. We legged it back to the car and left in a hurry lol.

My wife is scared of the dark, and I have trouble going to sleep if there's too much light. One weird thing is that lights often go out when I approach, not just the sensor lights but some streetlights when I approach when walking my dogs. My wife always kids me about it, I can often walk right up to the house without the porch light coming on unless she activates the sensor. Might be a useful skill if I were a burglar lol.

6. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love it in the dark. Miz Diane complains about me padding around the house without turning on any lights. Don't need 'em for the most part.

This area is full of caves (actually we're the home of the National Speleological Society) and as a Scout, we often went on 'caving' trips...sometimes overnight down in the bowels of the earth. Never a problem. Camping/tramping out in the woods, no problem. I used to enjoy riding my bike (which has great lighting) on the local bike trail at night..but discovered some people like to walk the trail at night and rarely wear reflective clothing.

LOL, when I turned 16, my Dad allowed me to take the boat to the local lake and go night fishing. Took along my best friend at the time. We went almost completely unprepared to spend the night out on the water (it was late Sept, as I recall). Nearly froze to death, etc. I had a radio and we listened to a midnight performance of "Inner Sanctum"...scared both of us silly. We finally decided to pull into shore and camp but we found that our chosen campsite was overrun with spooky noises (cows, squirrels, etc.) and we chose to anchor just a few yards offshore. We tried to sleep but there was so much spooky crap going on that we stayed up all night. At some point we heard some crazy splashing/thrashing in the water...and it sounded like it was getting closer...closer...closer. I flipped on my flashlight and there was a cow standing in the water next to the stern of the boat. I nearly soiled myself.

We didn't catch any fish either.

Guran likes this.
  7. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

When I'm out in the woods, I have no fear of the dark whatsoever. I can sleep, stargaze, go for a walk, take a trip to relieve myself away from camp, whatever. Bears, wolves, mountain lions, wolverines -- no worries.

When I'm out walking around the neighborhood and the streetlights are off, though, it gives me the willies! If there's a chance there might be muggers, psychopaths, and/or killers about, the thought of that gets under my skin. I'm sure it doesn't help that shootings and other crimes are in the increase in my city. When I moved there 12 years ago, I swear, it was like Mayberry. In the last few years, though, we've had several shooting fatalities, a wounded cop (he got shot), and even a case of someone harboring an escaped convict in their home -- all within a half-mile radius of my house.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  8. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

only at night! drum roll!

play music!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Not until I saw Psycho as a kid. I still have clear shower curtains. NO I'm not posting pics.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  10. pdmartin

pdmartin Tele-Meister

..”breathe deep the gathering gloom. Watch lights fade from every room...”. I embrace the darkness.

Praxis and Toto'sDad like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

Great topic.

In OA, we were led up the mountain road and pushed off at 100 yard intervals for part of the ordeal. Pitch black, sleeping bag, knife, one match. Light rain, too, which sucked. It wasn't pure alone time: I could've found the next guy up or down the mountain. But I didn't. I made a little fire in a stump and couldn't get comfortable enough to get more than twilight rest. Not miserable, but not real happy.

Even in a tent with other guys, the darkness can be infinitely bigger if you wake up in the middle of the night in a hollow and hear screech owls. That'll raise the hair on your neck.

It's never the dark: it's what's *in* the dark.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

I guess not. I like solo backpacking and moto-camping. Never lie awake, never feel afraid, although if I’m honest I’ll admit i’m very alert for unidentified noises. But yeah, I like being beyond light pollution and the hubbub of other people.

However, on a recent moto-camping trip, I found what looked like a great campsite a little way off the Blue Ridge Parkway on a forest service road in the Pisgah National Forest. To make sure I was in a place where I wouldn’t be bothered, or BE a bother, I reconnoitered a little turnout just down the trail. There I found a small, neatly-kept woodland cemetery.

Now, I’m not superstitious, or normally scared of the dark, but I’ve seen enough movies to know that camping alone in the woods by an isolated cemetery is probably just asking for an unusual experience. So I rode on.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

night light for sure.It keeeeeeps the monsters under the bed!

chemobrain and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Not normally but I was headed in to my deer stand about 5:00 one morning and I could hear a pack of coyotes running something through the woods. They kept getting closer and closer. I have never been so relieved to get to the stand and climb the ladder in my life.

15. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

to answer dismissing any allusion of metaphor, "the dark" used to hold just out of reach and sight disembodied spirits that I could sense as a child. In the dark, so dark I could not see anything at all I could feel them as I now understand feeding on my attention, getting my attention and feeding on it, they wanted attention being lost out there on the astral plain. I have lived in haunted houses people insisted that I not move into, I worked at a restaurant that could not keep the graveyard bakers or janitors, who at times got so freak out they would walk off in the middle of their work leaving everything were it was and quitting, heck it wasn't even dark.
    I worked at Mount Zion hospital as a security guard , being and old hospital there had been a long history of people dying in the ICU, there was a cancer ward, , so nurses of the 4th floor called me insisting that somebody was in a room in a end of the floor with no patients, I go down and check the room the bathroom, ,the closet under the bed , nothing
    I told the good nurses that no one was there, they insisted that there was "something there" I checked again and nothing and left ,they called again more insistent than someone was there the laundry cart had been moved they could hear the wheels squeaking, a door closing , yes I could see the the heavy cart had been moved into the middle of the hallway ,moved back against the wall checked the room, nothing. honestly they were freaked out. they believe that "nothing "was there, whatever nothing was.
    I too believed that "nothing" was there , I could feel it.
    This happened in different unused parts of the hospital near areas that were staffed at night, the night staff was all ways talking about someone being there. I never told them about the number of times that I had been called to assist with nothing, you don't tell people that they are right that the hospital is haunted, this is medicine, science logic, working models 21st century, security cannot tell the hospital supervisor to call in ghost busters ,or a shaman , I'm a security professional , who, where, when, why, how, doesn't have room between the lines of an incident report for ghost stories, a ghost scaring the crap out of long term professional nurses with degrees and specialties.,...
    by this time I had learned that whatever it was that scared all these different people with similar experience could only play with your mind and play on ones doubt, fear, and uncertainty to get the attention that was it carved, there's more, much more but hey, I just leave it alone, sweep the floor take out the garbage bathe and play some blues.
    have a diet sprite and toast Bobcat Goldthwait my hero.:lol::D:rolleyes::twisted::p

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

:rolleyes:oh really.....:twisted:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Really. Grouse are startling when you spook them, but that's in the daylight.

18. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

I've been prescribed blood pressure pills but am having bad reactions to them. 2 nights ago I had a dream where I became concious but I couldn't wake up, struggling and becoming more desperate because I couldn't move. I finally did wake up but I was still dreaming and I only realised when I woke out of that dream. I was so weird I felt very uncomfortable last night, not wanting to sleep in case something like that happened again.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The only time I ever got spooked in the mountains by myself was because of a bad rain. Usually my sleeping bag covered with an oil skin tarp would keep me safe from the rain, but I didn't do something right with my preparation and I started getting wet, so I rolled up my bag, and lay across the seat in my 4WD pickup truck. It was a big Ford so I could kind of make do. After I had been asleep a while, the rain stopped and I about jumped out of my skin, because something was banging on my truck. I grabbed my light and my pistol and jumped out of the truck, and couldn't see a darned thing and the noise had stopped.

I stood there for a while, then the noise started again! I walked all the way around the truck and still couldn't see anything and then I looked up and saw a large swarm of bats and some of them were running into my CB whip antennae! I had a one of those big long whips on there because of some extra equipment I used on my radio for emergencies. The noise from the bats hitting the whip which was mounted on my truck bed was reverberating all through the truck. I laughed at myself for getting spooked, I even told my brother in law later who knew that I was never uncomfortable in the dark. I wasn't terrified or anything, but it did cause me to grab my light and pistol, and check it out.

chemobrain likes this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

An old hound hunter showed me a neat trick one night in the woods. He said if I ever got lost and still had a light with me, and a means of building a fire, that I should look around a find a tree where dove were nesting. If I got lucky I might even find some quail but they usually nest on the ground but not always. Anyway, I kind of looked sideways at him and he said c'mon lets take a walk. Sure enough, he found a small bush and shined a light on it, and it was full of dove! He walked slowly up to it, and calmly put his hand around a dove, and walked back to where I was standing. He said if you don't spook 'em you can catch as many as you want. he then tossed the dove in the air and it took off. A trick I filed away but never needed.

chemobrain likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.