Are you afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

A Kimber cures fear of darkness

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not afraid of the dark. I used to be afraid of the monster that lives in my closet that only comes out in the dark, but then one night we got to talking and it turns out he's a pretty nice guy! His name is Bill and he's a member of Kuromon Local 101 ("kuromon" is a Japanese portmanteau of the words "closet monster," just as "pokemon" is derived from "pocket monsters"). He's been having some problems with his marriage lately, but I think our conversations may have helped. Fingers crossed for Bill and his wife!

perttime likes this.
  3. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

You sir are making a very bad assumption... Did I say I shoot dogs?.....I just stated a fact here in Idaho that dogs chasing animals get shot..... Sometimes...I hunt every year and i get every year so I fully understand what hunting is all about.... However in today's world I don't view hound hunting as hunting.....I know many that do and mostly let the dogs out to terrorize the woods while they drive around in their trucks drinking beer chasing their dogs. . That isn't hunting...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Depends.

Me and my father in law went out fishing one night on Fontana lake when they had the water way down. When the moon is out up there the light on the black water makes vision a near impossibility, we could actually see better with less moonlight.

That is pretty scary because navigating a boat in pitch black darkness is not fun or safe.

Being in total darkness in a room or something where you are certain of your surroundings is very relaxing to me.

But darkness with a hint of uncertainty is when it starts to get scary.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Back in 2010, money was still tight and so people were really turning the lights off, up in the mountain towns and communities.

So, at The Cabin, when the moon set, it could be quite dark. Kind of disconcerting, to go from so much moonlight to virtually no light at all. Made you wonder if your eyes had quit working, you know, permanently.

But the economy got better, and better, and the ambient light from Sweetwater and Madisonville and Tellico Plains and even Maryville means Light Pollution at night - nothing like the darkness of that first year. It was like being in a Mine or cave with the lights off.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I myself, nor any of the hound hunters that I knew, and that belonged to the houndsman association ever engaged in the behavior you suggest. From the tone of your post, I don't think I made a very bad, or even a bad assumption about what you wrote. You simply stated that dogs chasing animals get shot. I have no reason to know the laws of Idaho, I don't hunt there, never hunted there, further I can't think of anything that would ever make me want to go there. You demonstrate again by saying the hound hunting is not hunting that you know nothing about the subject. You can't haul enough dogs in a greyhound bus to catch a field rat without proper training. Hound hunting is an art form, and takes many years to learn. It's not sitting on a stump, or in a tree stand and waiting for an animal to wander by. The people I've seen in the woods drinking and acting a fool are those with shiny new 300 Winchester Magnums, and bright orange vest fresh from the retailer. However, you are free to feel as you wish about it, I will of course do the same.

ce24 likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Well, that's a bit extreme, wouldn't it be easier to just turn the light on? Oh, wait, uh, never mind. :oops::oops:

ce24 likes this.
  9. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

tery likes this.
  10. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Not particularly but we used to take a LSD and spend hours in woods watching the branches waver and glow worms on the ground. When I was about 18 and without a car I used to walk about 2 miles home from the main road out in the country late at night. One night I or something startled a flock of birds in a big pine grove as I was passing by. That freaked me until I realized what I was hearing. A 1000 flapping wings sounds pretty odd at 2:00 am.

Telecasterless and tery like this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Roger Scruton wrote an excellent book on riding to hounds.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Those monsters and such that live under the bed? I met 'em all when we lived in Thorson's camp in the early 50s. My mom was a night cook, and worked from 10:00 pm, until 6:00 am six nights a week. By the time she had her breakfast that was part of her salary, and saved money for feeding me, and walked home, I was usually on my way to school. Sometime we would pass each other on the way across the gin storage lot where I crossed the railroad tracks as a shortcut to school.

We lived in a very modest little shack that had a front room where I slept on a couch, and a bedroom where my mom slept on a cot. The windows were simply screened openings in the wall that had an outer covering made of wood and isinglass that could be raised in the summer months. During the winter months, when the wind would get up, all of those contraptions would bang and rattle all night long. The wind would howl, things would go bump in the night, and I was terrified. Old man Thorson didn't want any lights on after 10:00 at night because the power was furnished as part of the rent. After a while when I found that I had not been eaten during the night, and the sun came up and I was still alive, I got so that the night didn't bother me at all. I rummaged the alleys and found odds and ends of tube radios and put together a skeleton chassis radio by blind luck that actually worked. I spent many nights lying on the counter top by the sink with my head pressed close to the speaker hoping old man Thorson wouldn't hear me and make me turn the radio off.

Poverty, and necessity are indeed the mother of invention. What seemed like eons was only a couple of years that we lived like this. My mom met a guy and married him, and we were a family though that too would not last long, a few years, maybe three. I was glad to get old enough to make my own way in life. I found that hard work, and some luck allowed me to know luxuries I had never known in life.

tery and william tele like this.
  13. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

If we were found of the dark, we wouldn’t play Teles...

Bright time is the right time.:cool:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

An old running song . . .

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Sounds like your cabin is in my neck of the woods...?

16. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I'm afraid of sharks, prison, ALS/Parkinsons/Alzheimers and the IRS. I think that's about it.

Toto'sDad and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Friend of Leo's

Dark? No.

Unknown unseen things in the dark...yes.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sounds like it.

We can shave 20 miles off the mile count, by using the "back way" over into the Tellico Basin, up the small North River drainage to Stratton Bald, East on the Cherohala to get to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. The Poplars and Basswood look as grand as ever, but the conifers up there are basically all wiped out. Won't really be right again for another 20 years.

These little sons of guns
    [​IMG]

Still, so much of this region used to be so heavy with Chestnut trees and there's just some growback here and there, now. We adjust to new Normal - we have to, I guess.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    tery likes this.
  19. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Days are getting shorter Downunder as is natural.
    When we have daylight saving the days can be long and HOT ( 40C/110F) and no lower than about 32C ( 90F) overnight. Sometimes we get too much sun and daylight. There are parts of Australia that are never really cool.
    The red centre is desert like in winter, mild days and freezing nights. Great time to see Uluru ( native for Ayers Rock).
    Up north, Darwin, is like Indonesia, down south, Adelaide,where I live, it may even snow once a year.

20. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Have the Sourwood trees been affected ? They make the best honey I have tasted .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.