Are you a steak purist? Or do you get fancy with it?

How fancy do you get with your steak?

• Just salt please, I'm here for the beef

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Salt + pepper, but nothing more

Votes: 53 55.2%
  • Dry rubs are not a crime!

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • Steak au poivre s'il vous plaît

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Pass the ketchup

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Just heat - no seasoning whatsoever

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

srvy

Tele-Meister
Salt and Pepper and set it till its at room temp. Then grill to the desired doneness rest it with a pat of butter and dive in.

srvy

Tele-Meister
I will say that McCormick Montreal seasoning is really good on some cuts. Like Tenderloin thats tender king but short on flavor or Sirloin and Chuck Eye. Even patio steaks are decent with the Montreal stuff.

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
None of the above. I know real purists will tell you that a Filet Mignon/Tenderloin needs nothing but alittle salt and pepper, and marinades are taboo, but I marinade mine in a little black cherry or blueberry vinaigrette and cook over charcoal. There is no better tasting steak.

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
As for A1, I've no idea why anyone would want that garbage slop on any cut of meat, whether premium or grade B. Just tastes horrible to me.

Poster Extraordinaire
Dry Brining. You'll never go back after a juicy steak. I took cooking lessons from a Master Butcher. 45 yrs in the business. Like he, I want to taste beef!
ed: He said there are 3 grades of meats. Prime, Choice, and road kill.
Ever try dry aged beef?

Road kill rules.

Hodgo88

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
As for A1, I've no idea why anyone would want that garbage slop on any cut of meat, whether premium or grade B. Just tastes horrible to me.
Okay, hear me out. A1 isn't great. But I make a sauce occasionally that is more like A5.

1/3c of raisins, currants, really any dried fruit could work
1/2c boiling water

Combine and let steep for 10 minutes or so when the raisins have softened

Mix this water and all with 3 tbsp each Worcestershire and ketchup, 2tbsp each Dijon mustard and white vinegar in a blender and strain in a mesh strainer.

Yes, this has ketchup in it, I get it. I promise you this will fix up a cheap cut of anything. Really good on pork chops too. Sweet, savory, acidic, with a big dose of Worcestershire funk.

Hey_you

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I don't know what Flatiron qualifies as, but it's not very expensive so it may just be road kill. But I like it!
It's odd, The least used muscle (more tender) have less flavor then most used muscle tissue. Filet Mignon is the most tender. Flatiron is #2, but it has a decent flavor! I love a flatiron steak. They hadn't been around a long time, as opposed to other cuts, due to a special technique to produce it as sold. They go over the shoulder. Something I learned from the 3 cooking classes I attended with that Master Butcher. I've taken many classes including with Chefs that appear on television shows. I am a food snob! I make no bones about that. Cook better than many hi-end restaurants I have been to. Over a decade I made $$$ restaurant visits a hobby. I love to wine and dine!! Well, use to. Keeping my weight where it is healthy has caused that habit to cease.

Doomguy

Tele-Holic
I know that my opinion on steak is controversial and probably wrong, but bear with me.

I don't love expensive cuts. I'd rather grab a strip or skirt then anything else. Marinated in something, cooked well done (burnt, please). I think that just a plain steak, seasoned with salt/pepper is a pretty boring meal. I don't love the taste of the meat on its own and salt/pepper do nothing for me really. I want my food to well... Taste like something.

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
If you ever eat a steak in a restaurant, they are happy to have customers like you.

(it's how they sell poor quality meat lol)
As a person that does BBQ on a weekly basis and so far... A few metric tones of meat passed through my hands and my BBQ i can tell you that a restaurant is happy with people that need their meat half-done. They are even happier with tartare steaks that they dont have to roast at all, they serve entirely raw.

Making a well done steak and keeping it Juicy takes real skill, leaving it half raw to retain its juices literally takes 0 skill.

Sadly we live in the opposite sides of the planet, otherwise i would instantly invite you to my Sunday BBQ day and show you how 8 well done steaks are literally swimming in their juices inside the heat isolating pan i leave them to rest before we eat them.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't like to chew on the meat for 30 seconds to get it down. Well done for me.

Cjteleforum

Tele-Meister
I like a t-bone grilled on a smoking hot cast iron pan with salt and pepper, then the bone rubbed with raw garlic and drizzled with olive oil while it rests, Florentine style. And a bottle of Lea & Perrins at the table. I have it a couple times a year these days. Just don't love it like I used to.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
I will say that McCormick Montreal seasoning is really good on some cuts. Like Tenderloin thats tender king but short on flavor or Sirloin and Chuck Eye. Even patio steaks are decent with the Montreal stuff.
I use it on burgers, mostly. Really good stuff, just not too much and it tastes great.

A friend of my cousin will take him out for a steak dinner every now and then. They always go to Kelsey's Steak House in Valparaiso, IN. The guy always orders a nice filet. Really well done, and drowns it in ketchup! Yuck!!!

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
As a person that does BBQ on a weekly basis and so far... A few metric tones of meat passed through my hands and my BBQ i can tell you that a restaurant is happy with people that need their meat half-done. They are even happier with tartare steaks that they dont have to roast at all, they serve entirely raw.

Making a well done steak and keeping it Juicy takes real skill, leaving it half raw to retain its juices literally takes 0 skill.

Sadly we live in the opposite sides of the planet, otherwise i would instantly invite you to my Sunday BBQ day and show you how 8 well done steaks are literally swimming in their juices inside the heat isolating pan i leave them to rest before we eat them.

That's great that you pass a few metric tons of BBQ through your hands, but that has nothing to do with preparing a good steak.

People can eat steak however they want, but doing it well done is a culinary crime. :lol:

Colo Springs E

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It's odd, The least used muscle (more tender) have less flavor then most used muscle tissue. Filet Mignon is the most tender.

I've often wondered why some like filet mignon, unless they're choosing it as a relatively healthier choice due to lack of fat (and flavor). I'll eat it if served to me, but it would never be my choice if I'm picking what cut I want. Far too lean for me.

Big_Bend

Poster Extraordinaire
Ok my turn.

I moved into an apartment this year and don't have access to a charcoal grill anymore, so I grill my steaks on a cast iron steak griddle.

1667735633565.png

I get rib eyes.. I'll take them out of the fridge around 4 hours before I want to eat, and I coat each side pretty heavily with just salt and pepper. I also poke the steaks on both sides with a fork multiple times.

Around 30 minutes before grill time I make a marinade of 1/4 lemon juice, 1/4 olive oil, 1/4 worcestershire sauce and 1/4 soy sauce and some cajun seasoning and I'll soak the steaks in this.

Right before grilling I take the steaks out of the marinade and I pat them dry on both sides with paper towels... then I put them on the griddle after its been heated to the hottest possible temperature.

I grill on one side about 3-4 minutes then flip them. At this point I put a pretty big tab of butter on the grilled side which is face up. When the 2nd side is done after another 3-4 minutes I take the steaks off the griddle and put them on a plate and put another big tab of butter on the 2nd side. I let the steaks sit for around 5 minutes.

Then it is time to feast.

I clean the griddle with Kosher salt and wipe it down good and then coat it with Peanut oil, ready for the next time.

These rib eyes are just perfect for me and I'm very pleased with how they turn out.