1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you a pedal fiend?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Richie Cunningham, Feb 7, 2021.

Are you a pedal fiend?

1. Sure as the signal runs right to left.

2. Probably. There are indications.

3. Maybe.

4. I doubt it. I control myself pretty well.

5. No chance, English bedwetting types!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I’ve been playing for a long time, but just got into pedals a couple years ago. It’s been fun, but now I think I’m pretty much good with what I have.

I actually sold off 18 (!) pedals this past weekend and only have one on my radar to buy.

I still have about 15, but they’re not on a board. I only use 3 or 4 at a time.

2. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

I have two boards- a small board for the blues band/cover band I play in, and a larger board for the worship band. The small board usually stays static, other than swapping out the drive pedal.Boss Tuner, 2 overdrives (although I could get by with just the J Rockett Blue Note -fabulous OD) Boss DD-3 delay, and DanElectro vibrato. Since all my amps have reverb, no need for that. And the Dan Electro is a great cheap tremolo pedal.

The big board has all the swapping done to it. I need more sounds for worship, hence the Blue Sky, MXR Reverv (2) delays and Vertigo tremolo, and volume pedal. And am always changing drive pedals, although I think I'm pretty stable right now with the Browne Amplification Protein Dual Drive. Handles everything I need.

I'm a sucker for OD pedals, especially when the killer players on Youtube make them sound so good. And of course if I get that pedal, I will sound just like them...so sitting on the shelf now ? Zen Black Magic OD (Robben Ford) Mad Professor Royal Blue (Matt Schoefield), J Rockett Melody (Matt Leterri9 Fulltone 2 and Fulltone 3 (great pedals), Bad Monkey, and a few more I can't remember. If I practiced as much as reviewing, buying OD's, I'd be ... IMG_5497.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Doomguy

Doomguy Tele-Meister

I have 13 lying around the house, of those 10 are used regularly, 1 semi regularly, 2 not at all. Of those 10, only 4 are on my board (wah, Big Muff, flanger, OBNE Dark Star).

The rest of the 10 tend to be more situational. Not too much flexibility in an HM-2, FZ-2, or a Metal Zone, you know? At least in the way I use them.

4. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I used to be. I've one two purges and I'm down to about 25 pedals now. I recently started to look at what else I'm not using/haven't used/will never use that I could sell.

I'm not a pedal tweaker, I tend to find one that does exactly what I need and use it for that. For example, I have four distortion/overdrive pedals on my board. I could probably get by with two, but each one does a specific sound that I really love, so they stay.

5. Danny B.

Danny B. TDPRI Member

I really don’t like pedals. I like being able just plug into my amp. Fortunately the sound I like is very straightforward. I like a nice clean tube amp with lots of reverb and tremolo. This is easily found with a lot of amps. I don’t like having cords and pedals laying everywhere, it’s inevitable that I’m going to break or unplug something, then have to track the problem down, meanwhile the song has left the station. A long time ago a friend asked me “ are you playing the pedal , or is the pedal playing you”? My brain is cluttered enough, I keep things as simple as possible. I would like a nice, full size tube reverb/tremolo unit, not a pedal, but a full size unit.

6. CinPA

CinPA TDPRI Member

I'm a cheap mofo, (translated = broke) & a backroom in the basement hack - but I amuse myself. That said, I scour blogs, websites, and YouTube for reviews of cheap/clone pedals. Other than a few multi-effect pedals bought eons ago, the only pedals I've paid more than $50 for are a BOSS RV-6 digital reverb and EHX Soul Food. I've gotten most for $20 - $35 (Joyo, Caline, etc.) and though I go through phases of thinking they sound pretty good to hating them I'll yank em for a few months and try again. I'm a knob tweaker and am constantly making tiny changes and they usually sound pretty good as long as I can keep my 2 year old granddaughter from playing with the knobs - then they really sound like crap and get shelved for a few months. Like I said, I amuse myself.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of guys use multi-effect pedals or multi-effect devices—I’ve used a few in the past as well.

One guitarist in my band said, “Ha! You have an overdrive, but I have 300 of them in my board!”

“Yeah, but this is the *one* that does everything that does what I want it to do—and how many of the 300 do you use?”

“Um...”

Yes, they may have 300 overdrives and 250 delays, but I wouldn’t even know where to start using that many...plus, I’ve figured out *which* OD, Fuzz, Phaser, Delay, Boost, etc., works best for me, and I went after that one.

8. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Scale model I did in MS-Excel as I was planning my board... the Source Audio pedals are on order... (I already have the Nemesis delay and the Ventris reverb).

Mounted a Strymon Zuma PSU and a GFI System Cabzeus on the underside with Velcro...

Pedalboard 1-30-21 (proposed scale model).jpg

Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 02 back.JPG

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. Shaolin Wolf

Shaolin Wolf NEW MEMBER!

I buy a pedal or two a year, which was never a financial excess for me. I've been playing for 43 years. I used to play out a lot, not that much any more, but I do go to a standing weekly jam I've been part of for 30+ years (before the pandemic, of course).

I have 70 pedals (average 1.6 pedals a year lol), the pile is a little OD-Distortion-Fuzz heavy, but with a couple in just about every category. I don't usually sell stuff off, so pedals have been pretty much accumulating the whole time (the times I sold something I usually regretted it, so I stopped.)

I usually put together smaller boards that make sense to me and swap out same function pedals from time to time. It's nice to have options and it's pretty fun trying different combos.

So 70 pedals seems excessive to me, but one or two per year doesn't. That's my story and I'm sticking to it haha.

Mojohand40 likes this.
  10. MyLittleEye

MyLittleEye TDPRI Member

I've assembled a vast virtual collection of pedals as an Amazon wishlist which greatly helps assuage my GAS. In the meantime I get by contentedly with a Bad Monkey and BD-2 and less contentedly with a vintage Zoom 9000
    Does me fine though as a hobbyist.

11. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

When I'm playing a mixed bag gig with a three piece band I like to use my pedal board. It's pretty basic, by comparison, but it gives me a little variety.
    Going to a jam session, I try to pick an amp that I can be happy with for the duration.
    If I'm hosting a jam, I hook up a tuner, a wah wah pedal and a TS9 through an appropriate size amp for the guests to use. If you can't find a sound with that, you need to go home.
    That's harsh, I realize, but I can't help but be amused by people who need an elaborate pedal board to play some blues.

12. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

Maybe...
    I have two pedalboards.
    1. Vox V847-A -> Ibanez TS9 -> EHX Nano Muff -> MXR Carbon Copy -> TC Ditto Looper
    2. DOD Carcosa -> Tone City Golden Plexi -> EHX Green Russian -> EHX Bad Stone

I'm eyeballing a few pedals in the meantime.

13. JanOak

JanOak TDPRI Member

9 pedals on my board including a tuner. I have twenty or thirty pedals in boxes and draws unused. It's taken me a while to find out what works for me but with those on my board I can get all the sounds I want.

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

He built a scale model of his board. Let that sink in. A scale freakin' model.

You are the Sensei. We are the grasshoppers.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  15. daveIT

daveIT Tele-Holic

I have 26, but some of those are used with synths instead of guitar and a couple are duplicates so I can leave my pedalboard somewhere and still have a similar setup at home.

16. noise86

noise86 TDPRI Member

I'd say I control myself well as the only pedal I own and use currently is my Boss TU-3 tuner.

17. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

11 pedals on my board, 6 off and getting ready to sell one of those. I tend to buy, try and if something better comes along, upgrade. I have liked my TC Flashback delay, but the Source Audio Collider (Delay + Reverb, or Reverb + Reverb, or Delay + Delay) will probably be next.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

"Sure as the signal runs right to left"

I have over 100 but only five on my board.

loopfinding and jays0n like this.
  19. waynereed

waynereed TDPRI Member

OK, since you asked! LOL FYI: When I say "recently" I mean right before I moved into the house we most recently bought. When I say "just" that means within the last months or so.

So in a short span of time between getting ready to move, and getting settled into our new home, I decided to thin out. I literally filled 3 vans, and a generous space in the moving company's 56 foot van/truck with music gear when we moved!

I sold (as close as I can remember) 36 guitars, 12 or 13 amps, and about 40 pedals! I recently thinned out some more. I packed 3 medium size boxes (about 30" x 24" x 14") full of pedals and shipped them to a re-seller I know on Reverb. Then sold 2 Vox AC15's and my Marshall amp, along with a 2x10 speaker cab, and 3 full PA systems. And I still have gear I'll be selling in another sale shortly! (Two Fender Princeton Chorus amps, a couple more Fender tube amps, a few more guitars, probably another couple dozen pedals, a couple guitar effects processors, etc.) I own some sweet processors, but obviously, I'm a pedal guy! I just don't care for multi-effects processors in general. Not my thang! LOL

That will leave me with well over a dozen guitars, half a dozen amps (and 3 Fender SFX satellites), lots of pedals, a sweet 1959 Valco tube amp, guitars from the 60's and 70's. a ton of PA gear, etc. BTW: I switched to Bose L1 Compacts and Fender Expo PA systems. Killer sound! Light weight. SMALL foot print! I have 2 Bose L1's. Incredibly transparent! And 3 Fender Expos. They are sweet, warm sounding. So I use all 5. Expo-L1-Expo-L1-Expo spread across the stage. Plus I have 3 Mackie DLM-12 2000wt full range powered cabs for BIG gigs, or large stage outside gigs. My backing tracks run through the PA.

So I sold way over 100 pedals. And still have pretty close to another 80 to 100! LET'S TALK PEDALS AND PEDAL BOARDS!

As you all said, there are multiple reasons for building a pedal board. (Other than the obvious, being, functionality: keeping them all together, connected, and not sliding all over when you step on them.)

One reason, it's just fun! Having pedals is fun, and spurs creativity! As long as you're not taking food off the table by buying pedals, buy all you want! How many back yard mechanics have dozens of tools they rarely ever need? MOST! LOL

Gigging is another reason. You build your board so it's appropriate for your gigs. You have ALL the pedals you need to sound how you need to for every song you do! You can either do this, or settle for your sound. I don't mean use pedals as a crutch!!! But if you do Doobie Brothers songs, and don't have a decent Phase Shifter and Flanger, UGGHHH!!! OD/Fuzz/Dist/Gain pedals each sound different, and stack differently. Fuzz before OD sounds different than OD before Fuzz, right!?! That's why I use 2 Fuzz pedals. One on both sides of the OD pedal.

Chorus pedals, reverb pedals. (Reverb: Many options, different verbs, shimmers, echos, etc.) Delay pedals. If you like to cover The Shadows, you need TWO delay pedals, working in tandem! Each set differently!

So here are 3 pedal boards I have. One for fun, 2 for gigging.

Ohio gigs: I live in Ohio, so most gigs are here. I have a dozen pedals on the board. The tuner is also a power supply for 8 pedals. A few of the pedals have dedicated PSs. And I have another power supply that goes under the board. I have several "always on" pedals. The tuner, a Radial, a compressor that is definitely always on, and an EQ. Fuzz, and distortion/gain pedals running to front of amp 1. Wet pedals (reverbs, chorus, phase, delay, etc.) going to effects loop of amp 1.

I run everything through a TC Electronics Mimiq stereo doubler, into 2 amps. One wet, one dry. The amps each have their own pedals. And a looper pedal allows me to use both amp's effects loops, AND allows me to send different pedals to either/and/or amps! (wet/dry, not stereo) Both amps are Boss Nextone Stage 40wt 1x12s. One runs through a MojoTone 4 x 12 with Celestion Neodymium speakers. The other runs through a custom built 2 x 10 closed back cab.

Plus a Morley Power Wah/Vol pedal.

That pedal board covers all the tunes we do. Surf, CCR stuff, Clapton, Hendrix, Zep, Pink Floyd, Santana, Doobies, Joe Cocker, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Yardbirds, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Jacob Dylan & the Wallflowers, Dave Mathews, etc.

Florida gigs: When I'm going to Florida (before pandemic, about once every 2 or 3 months or so) I made a phone call, and my future son in law sets me up with a "gig a day" for however long I'll be there. Usually a week and a half to two weeks at a time. I have 3 kids who all live in Cape Coral and Fort Meyers.

I have a full rig in Florida. 2 Bose L1 Compact PAs, mixer, mics, etc. Strat, Fender tube amp, and . . . a pedal board! I use pro backing tracks that I make in my home studio. So I can do any songs I want. I've made over 700 tracks. Blues (100's - Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Clapton, Buddy Guy, ZZ Top, Joe Cocker, etc.), Surf, Classic Rock, Rock-a-Billy, etc. So my board has to cover a lot of ground. There are 17 pedals on that board. Plus the amp's channel switch/effects pedal. Everything is there so I don't need to bring anything with me, except maybe another guitar. I only have the Strat in Fla. So I bring a Tele, or a 335. Sometimes my electric solid body 12-string. (I cover a lot of songs by the Byrds, Tom Petty, etc.) Depends on my mood when heading to Florida.

For Fun!: It's not totally finished, but is actually gig-able now. 29 pedals! Mounted in the top/lid of a modified 42" x 28" x 7" trunk. (Lid and bottom separated. Hinges ground off. Replaced with hinges that allow me to slip the lid/bottom apart.) 3" of room under board for power supplies, etc. I ran lights under the board. Pedals are mounted on a 1/4" thick 41" x 27" pegboard. Easy mounting with zip ties! And the lights shine through all uncovered holes. COOL! I use a Joyo 8 channel pedal looper. Can have up to 48 "patches". The looper sits in front of the board. No tap dancing! 8 pedals (front row on the board) are not through the looper. So they are available any time. One row. I have the "usual" pedals in that row.

Next to the looper is a 3-in-one pedal with a very good Delay, Dist & OD. Right of the looper is a Morley Power Wah/Vol pedal.

I run everything through a TC Electronics Mimiq stereo doubler, into 2 amps. One wet, one dry, just like my main Ohio pedal board.

So, just on the 3 boards I use, there are 66 pedals. And I have pedals on a shelf in my studio, and another dozen or so pedals in another box. Plus a 2nd 8 channel looper, and a 4-amp amps splitter.

Do I have too many pedals? You tell me!

PS: As to having too many . . . It's all about having fun, AND creativity! Example . . .

My favorite 2 amps in the whole world, from the beginning of time, are a Fender Super Reverb 4 x 10, and a VOX AC30, 2 x 12. No question about it. The best! Both weigh in at over 70 pounds! I'm 72. And admittedly, they both weigh too much for me to lift and haul around any more. I recently sold the Fender for about $3400. It was/is a '73, and mint! I was gonna sell the VOX, too. I already sold my 2 VOX AC15C1 amps. My wife asked me why the heck I sold the Fender!!! And why was I gonna sell the AC30?!?!?! I told her I loved the sound, but couldn't gig with them any more because of the weight. Plus I don't do many HUGE gigs any more. She says . . .

"You love your AC30! So what if you don't gig with it! if you play it a couple times a month, in your studio (19' x 19' with 10' ceiling) and enjoy playing it . . . then KEEP IT!"

I rest my case!

PPS: You say "Your WIFE said keep it!?!?!?! Yeah, that's what happens when your wife is also a singer in some of your bands! She understands. She gets it! Plus . . . we've been together almost 46 years!

bigbean likes this.
  20. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

I’m not overly particular about them. I like them and have probably 12 or so total. I only run 2 or 3 at a time. Pretty straight forward kinda guy.

I’m basically cool with some low end classics from Boss or MXR or whoever. I’m just as happy with a Boss sd1 and dyna comp as I am with some keeley gear or whatever.

I did order a big muff the other day though. Should be here tomorrow. I am actually really looking forward to it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    waynereed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.