Are You A Military Veteran?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Torren61, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Only once....

2. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I spent 60 days around Mobile area on decon barges for Deep Water Horizon. What a mess.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Torren61 and po-boy like this.
  3. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

There were rumors that if you committed suicide while in the US military, you were charged with destroying govt property.

Torren61 likes this.
  4. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Thank you to our service members, alive and lost, and to everyone who appreciates what our military and police personnel do, and have done, and what so many of them have sacrificed - and will sacrifice, to help keep us safe in this amazingly incredible country, the USA.

5. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

i worked with the pershing nuclear missles. when i pee at night, my balls glow! good that i have the VA!

play music!

Skamania, Torren61 and Jim622 like this.
  6. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

it wasn't restricted to suicide. if you got a sunburn or injured yourself while on leave, you could be charged. i never saw it go to fruition tho.

play music!

verb boten, Milspec and Torren61 like this.
  7. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

God bless I hope he is doing well.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Skamania, DHart and Torren61 like this.
  8. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

God bless - it may seem hollow, but thank you for his and your sacrifice

Skamania, DHart and Torren61 like this.
  9. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's

I missed this post. I'm sorry for your son and your family. I wish we never had to have troops in harms way. Whenever I hear "boots on the ground", I wonder if they REALLY understand that those boots are worn by men and women who have lives and family. They love and are loved. Is it really worth it? That's as far as I'm gonna go with that. I thank you and your son for your service and sacrifice. I hope we give him the respect and help that he needs and I hope he does well.

Jim622, Flakey, Skamania and 2 others like this.
  10. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

You two go to the supply room and get me a box of grid squares. :)

11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

No rumor, it is true, you are considered government property. I faced an article 15 once as a Pfc for a severe sunburn under the charge of damaging government property.

I have never seen it applied in a suicide case, but I suppose they could. The only buddy I had that comitted suicide was on the rifle range. His dream job was to command the Edson Range and when he made Lt. he got his dream only to take his own life at daybreak on that same range. Strange thing about it was that there was no suicide note and the cause of death was a shot to the chest and the head simaltaneously....which takes quite a bit of skillful timing. Still, it was declared a suicide to avoid paying the life insurance.

verb boten and Torren61 like this.
  12. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Just a bump.....

I'm glad to see all willing contributions here of those who served and certainly enjoy reading your personal experiences.

I don't usually discuss the military or my experiences as it can too easily come off as self serving and tooting one's own horn.
    Plus, why would anyone who hasn't served or walked in the mud covered boots really be interested....it's a very personal experience.
    We all have them from our time in.....many profound, many poignant, many brutal, many heart wrenching and all are life changing.

That's all I have....for now anyway. :)

Back to topic......

Jim622, verb boten, Chud and 4 others like this.
  13. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I painted rocks, and policed a lot of cigarette butts, as well as some other things USMC 0311 2/5 1st MarDiv

verb boten, Skamania and Torren61 like this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Yup, for 8 years. Mechanical operator on submarine [i.e. nuclear] power plants, U.S.S. Springfield. We launched some of the very first salvoes of our still-happening war in Afghanistan (this is, obviously, back in late 2001). Before that, I had spent two years as an instructor at Nuclear Power Training Unit (NPTU) in Charleston, SC, following about two years of schooling (boot camp, mechanic school, Nuclear Power School, NPTU).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

Please folks, don’t get me wrong. I don’t want to be disrespectful. It’s nice when old comrades-in-arms share their experiences.

I just wonder how openly you guys tell your service history here in public forum. Nowadays it doesn’t take a genius to track you down.

As being in active service, I’m very careful what I say about my career and what I don’t. OSINT is everywhere. I’ll reveal that I’ve been in FDF active service since 1996, an infantry officer and that’s it. Would have a lot more tales to tell, but this is not the right place for me.

16. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

My grandfather Elbert, aged 22 in 1920. He spent 35 years at sea after joining up aged 14. He's lied about his age (and his height!) He served during the first world war on submarine suppliers, and survived being torpedoed twice. Went on to the merchant navy till grandma was finally sick of him being away all the time.

grandfather.jpg

17. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Funny story .
    One of my buddies got hold of some tabs that are when heated give off a gas .
    Like the crowd control gas that escaped my mind at the moment.
    Anyway he puts these tabs that are in a foil packet in his pocket .
    Well the military really doesn’t want you standing around with your hands in your pocket , but this guy takes his hand out of his pocket and rubs his eyes.
    Ha ha you had to see his reaction when his eyes started burning it was hysterical!

verb boten, Torren61 and LutherBurger like this.
  18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

One day in garrison, somebody "accidentally" popped a CS grenade in our S3 (Operations) building. That was a hoot.

When questioned, nobody knew how it had happened. :)

19. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

I haven't done it - but I saw a guy grab the barrel of a LMG soon after firing a belt or two through it. Learning from other peoples' mistakes is much more pleasant....

verb boten and Torren61 like this.
  20. DFB1

DFB1 Tele-Meister

We used to throw CS grenades at each other for fun.
    Just a bunch of dumb grunts having fun.

duzie, verb boten and Torren61 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.