Are you a mediocre guitar player? Congratulations!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Good progress report. Congrats on all that!

I know my brain isn't big enough to rule the fretboard. So I've stuck with major CAGED scales, the usual minor key scales, mixolydian scales, major and minor pentatonics, and a few voodoo/swamp/gypsy/Celtic scales I've stumbled across.

And I mostly use melody just to dress up chord changes.

Life's short! And luckily for my music, I'm a pretty good lyrics guy.

NewKid likes this.
  2. chet again

chet again Tele-Afflicted

I aspire to someday be a mediocre guitar player...

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I'd have to woodshed for 5 years to look up at mediocre guitar players.

4. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

I'm pretty crappy but I don't care. Playing makes me smile.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

This was a fun read, but not for obvious reasons. I'm so happy that I've graduated from my early years of measuring myself against others (guitar is such a testosterone driven sport).

I've got guitars strewn all over the house and I can wake up early on a Saturday morning and just noodle around or bang out a couple of songs that are on my mind for whatever reason, or maybe learn a new one that I've been humming for a bit. And I can appreciate the skill of other guitarists without envy. Finally.

My teenager is a jock and consumed by football and baseball and fitness. And it warms my heart lately because he keeps picking up a guitar and fumbling through chord progressions or trying to pick out a melody that's rambling around in his head too. I play guitar for my own pleasure (therapy, if you will) and it's gratifying to see him approach it the same way. (Ever seen someone who had piano lessons as a kid sit down to the piano after a long absence. They are stiff as a board, constantly frustrated trying to recall what was beaten into them by a teacher. They aren't making music, they are punishing themselves?)

I'm long past caring about whether I'm mediocre, or intermediate or a ripping guitarist. I just make music, and leave it at that.

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I still aspire to mediocrity.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am not mediocre at guitar.

I am an Ungodly combination of brilliance, total cluelessness, laziness, and urges to play loud at 4:00 AM.

Mediocre players show up on time; they play the parts set out before them, and they seem not to get bored and then they go back and do the same thing again, 4 more nights that week. I am the polar opposite of that. I get distracted. My stamina at guitar is quite suspect at times. I stop writing one song so I can write another one.

8. JD15

JD15 TDPRI Member

That's a drummer there, missed opportunity

kbold and boris bubbanov like this.
  9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

50 plus years of mediocrity.that's what the m in stevemc stands for.

10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Me too!

I guess we get trophies for just showing up?

11. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Meister

I was an acquaintance of Hiram Bullock shortly after he arrived in NY and while he was touring with David Sanborn, etc. I asked him how he liked NY. He said that there were a ton of great guitarists, almost as if he didn’t belong.

12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

My observations are that this will include a lot of people who never have formal lessons, and a lot of people who should never have started but done it at school out of obligation. Lessons also often teach things no one wants to play, whereas if a kid got the riff he adores, he will repeat that for a month diligently, delighted with the achievement

Also, I think every learner guitar should be hardtail, for tuning stablility

13. Rasmuth

Rasmuth Tele-Afflicted

As a mediocre player, I've come to understand that to the majority of folk, it's meaningless....because I can play and perform, they think I'm good, so I'll take that...

14. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

That is the good part to me is endless fun, i admire your patience btw.

NewKid likes this.
  15. stonetone7

stonetone7 TDPRI Member

My greatest asset is my ear, and my willingness to go for it.

Other folks know more chords and inversions, more scales and modes. They have better manual dexterity in both hands.

But I can learn most songs in a hurry. I can drop into a strange group of players and contribute to songs I never heard before by the time the first chorus is over. I can sing and play at the same time. I know how to be an asset to a band.

So yeah, I’m a mediocre guitarist, at best. But I’m also a pretty good musician.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  16. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm far from mediocre, but at the same time I am well aware of where my limitations are. Most of them are related to genres outside of my wheelhouse, though, which is why I haven't really felt motivated to address them. I can't chicken pick, I can't shred, and I wouldn't fit in stylistically at a blues jam, but throw me into a classic rock environment and I can hold my own just fine.

17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

My tele sat in a closet for about 10 years. I knew I'd pick it up again, but I wish I hadn't waited so long. If Youtube had existed 10 years ago the way it does now, I'd never have stopped playing. It's just so much easier to play guitar with the technology these days.

Frodebro likes this.
  18. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is so true. When I was learning to play, my "parents friendly" rig was a portable cd player, a Radio Shack four channel mixer, and a Scholz Rockman. Everything through headphones, and my selection was limited to the cds I owned. Still, I put in at least 2-3 hours almost every night.

I guess there's an upside, though, because to this day I have no issue with playing through headphones when the mood strikes me. Only the Rockman has been replaced by a Kemper, and the cd player and mixer are now an iMac with an Apollo Twin interface.

19. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Those 2-3 hours a night way back in my beginner stages, playing barre chords etc., paid off a lot when I came back to it. A few Youtube videos and a bit of focused practice and I was doing things I couldn't have dreamed of back when I was at my beginnermediate best around the year 2004.

Kelleycaster and Frodebro like this.
  20. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

This shirt has my motto.

Attached Files:

Kelleycaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.