Are you a mediocre guitar player? Congratulations!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Jan 23, 2020.

1. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

Once I got my first guitar and started learning to play I never even once considered giving it up. Even through sore fingers and all that I considered it something enjoyable and fascinating to myself that I could make these sounds on my own. The more I learn the more I want to play. It can be relatively easy to learn but almost impossible to master IMO. Some people just have the desire and determination to stay with it and many just don’t. I guess they’d rather be tweeting or whatever.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  2. Tek1

Tek1 TDPRI Member

I might be sub mediocre. Evey time I ask Siri "Whats that song?" I get "Sorry I don't know that song" So I'm going to buy a louder amp. Cause must be her hearing.

bromdenlong likes this.
  3. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

I’ve been at the guitar for almost 6 years. I’ve graduated from terrible to okay.

Kelleycaster and Fendereedo like this.
  4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I pride myself on my mediocrity! :lol:

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes, I'm playing it in 6/8 time...I also do 3/4. Try to keep up! Hey, after >40 years I'm still learning (with limited potential for taking anyone's place at the top of the pageo_O).

6. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I dream of being mediocre, but I enjoy myself.

7. Terramara

Terramara NEW MEMBER!

Good news for me, though I'm just mediocre in playing guitar.

8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We made it everyone!

(Except TDPRIers who have been playing less than a year. See 10% of you later... :p)

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Well, you are obviously much more than adequate, though the modesty is admirable. Most of us could not aspire to anywhere near that level.

10. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

I’m Definitely a mediocre caliber player then. Always trying to do too many things and spending lots of time doing it. Let’s see, I want to be a Tele picker, play classic rock, play solo acoustic, sing and play acoustic, sing and play electric, play jazz standards, play jazz fusion, Etc... it’s endless. But that’s how I spend my retirement. I made it my goal to get as good as I can before I can’t anymore. Which is of course adequate. I see A lot of experienced folks on here and I too have my share of experience and in my little pond I was pretty good but in reality I was just adequate. Now I help support the gear industry! Thank you for the compliment!

duzie likes this.
  11. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

I would love to be mediocre. I settle for 'not very good'.

12. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I fully agree that lower priced guitars in general these days are better than in years past, but there are still plenty of crappy, unusable really, cheap guitars that are sold in department stores, online etc., that parents buy because they're not sure if the kid is going to stick with it so they don't wanna spend much. Not tunable, forget intonation, and the action is a mile high and not adjustable. I have just seen some that kids got for Christmas so i know they're still out there, unfortunately.

Kelleycaster likes this.
  13. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I’m admittedly lazy, but I do love the guitar. I’ve definitely improved gradually in the 22 years I’ve been playing, with spikes in inspiration here and there. YouTube has helped in learning more songs and techniques, actually, but I definitely don’t challenge myself as much as I could.

But, consider me part of the 10% for sticking with it! To mediocrity!

Kelleycaster likes this.
  14. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

YAY for Torrenz!

Kelleycaster likes this.
  15. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

True!

There's always another hand, though, right? So, on the other hand, my first guitar was dreadful. My parents knew I wanted a guitar, so when I turned sixteen (1968) they bought me a cheap, less-than-half-decent Goya (i.e. junk) classical. Happy birthday!

The neck was massive, the sound was plunky, the strings kept rolling out from under my fingers, it couldn't be tuned, and I had no interest in playing classical music. (I dug Eric and B.B.)

I played it constantly, anyway—usually hiding out in a bathroom where no one could hear me. Pawed a best-of-Dylan songbook to shreds.

Won't say I've ever gotten good, but I will say I've kept playing.

Or: Consider the diddley bow: a wire stretched between two nails hammered into a board or porch post. You can barely call it an instrument, half-decent or otherwise. But a lot of the Delta and Chicago greats got their starts on diddley bow.

A musician needs an instrument to play. But it's the musician that makes the music.

Old Plank likes this.
  16. Charlie Bernstein

I'm as good as you think I am.

Kelleycaster and Sounds Good like this.
  17. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I can believe those numbers. Guitar falls in line with all those ( at least from my generation) that played an instrument in the school band or took piano lessons etc as a child and never kept up as an adult.

18. Charlie Bernstein

I wish Fender all the luck in the world turning more new players into lifelong customers.

But in spite of all their schemes to get beginners to stick with it, there's one thing they can't change: Beginners who truly enjoy banging away at a guitar for hours on end will stick with it, and those who don't won't.

19. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

42 years later I finally know all the notes on the fretboard, scales, arpeggios, intervals etc. Now I just have to put little melodies together that sound good to my ears. Just getting started!

20. julmust

julmust TDPRI Member

Yes!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.