Are you a mediocre guitar player? Congratulations!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

The amount of money I have spent on guitars and gear I cant give up now too much money invested but I wont spend anymore for awhile on gear maybe lessons but I love all the gear I have and it forces me not to give up

stormsedge likes this.
  2. RB522

RB522 Tele-Meister

I needed to hear that. Thank you !

stormsedge likes this.
  3. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Dude I'm hip.same thing. the pedals alone are as much as an american guitar.forces us brother!

Switchy likes this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I consider myself a “project.”

Kelleycaster and stormsedge like this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I don't really view music as a contest. I view people who can play a musical instrument as lucky to have access to one of the great pleasures of life. Same goes for knowing a foreign language. The more skilled you become in any of the liberal arts, the greater they reward you. I don't know if it's true for every guitar player, but for me, the more skilled I become at my instrument, the more pleasure I derive from practicing it. I don't even consider it practice any more; it's more like hunger or a sex drive these days.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  6. ROADMAN

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

should be handicapped like golfers ...then you'd know if the local jam was 90 per-centers or a talent show ....

stormsedge likes this.
  7. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

Given that its possible you may have played at a 'higher level' than a few of us on here, could I ask what you would you improve on to make you a better player?

Wildcard_35 and PlainAllman like this.
  8. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

When I think about all the people I remember starting to learn to play guitar but quickly giving it up, it does seem that the survivors are relatively few.

9. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I started playing the same year, and I think if myself in pretty much the same way.

10. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

I'll never be as good as I aspire to be, but I'm better today than I was yesterday. I have no money so my guitars are all partscasters, but they play and sound very nice. I only have like, 4 or 5 pedals. None of them boutique a couple of them very old. Made the board myself out of Home Depot for like $7.00

Have 1 Fender 2 x 12 60w Deville and a lighter Bugera v22 with a kickass speaker in it. I like those EL34 tubes. I'm about 18 months into learning what I never did as a young guy playing punkish kind of music in the 80's. Not Sex Pistols punk more like The Police live or very early U2. Haven't played in 35 years, maybe 6 more months I might even venture into some kind of jamming situation. I must be crazy.

stevemc and gimmeatele like this.
  11. JohnsonNavinR

JohnsonNavinR TDPRI Member

Sorry, but there are almost no unplayable etc. guitars made anymore, even the cheapest are light years beyond what was available previously. Guitar is hard, period.

stevemc and JuneauMike like this.
  12. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I’m sitting here, having just listened to the remastered 50th anniversary edition of Let It Bleed and currently listening to Fleetwood Mac’s Boston Tea Party live album (the Greeny era one – Coming Your Way is on right now), all on headphones. And basically, the question in the thread title just makes me feel depressed. If I were to draw a linguistic analogy, not only can I not construct a sentence, I can’t even form a single word yet. All I do is dribble.

At least, that’s one way of looking at it.

I find it interesting, how we assess and judge guitar players (I guess other folk into other things do this too though, for their ‘thing’). It seems like, generally speaking, many hold the idea or real-life exemplar of a stylistically well rounded and very technically capable guitar player up as some kind of standard – be it labelled average, good enough, competent, great, fantastic, or whatever.

Sometimes though, I realise that there are guitar players (and bass players, and drummers, and vibraphonists, etc.) who actually don’t rank well on the aforementioned system at all. Yet they kill it at that ‘limited’ thing they do. I guess what I’m saying is, it’s possible to be great, without being, you know, great.

So, mostly I suck, but sometimes I kill it.

Pax/
    Dean

13. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

In fact it's one of the easiest instruments.

14. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

My students remain with me on average 3 to 5 years, many longer.
    Very rarely one quits in the 1st year.

15. LightningPhil

LightningPhil Tele-Meister

There are degrees of mediocrity and quite convinced I'm lurking in the depths, swimming round in circles, in a very slow mostly upward current.

And I'm imprisoned here by having more fun modding and building amps than learning new songs.

But I'm ok with that. Electronics is my career and messing about with audio kit had always been an interest. And a few years of playing while being exceedingly fussy about tone has greatly enhanced my appreciation of music.

So it's all a win, except for the fiancee, who has to put up with an ever increasing invasion of noisy boxes and pretty bits of wood with strings on.

Gaz_ likes this.
  16. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Not necessarily - closets do exist in almost every home :D

Kelleycaster likes this.
  17. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Probably true. Stats dont lie but the party representing them can omit certain details here and there to paint a pretty picture which screams buy my ****. Where do you even take your data from to get a reliable consensus that represents the world population. I still think more quit than stick it out but a 10% success rate?

Kelleycaster likes this.
  18. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

Steerforth has summed it all up. I've play for to many years to keep count, supported Pro acts, gigged to hundreds, occasionally thousands and consider I can hold my own in most band settings. Whether I'm good, bad or indifferent is irrelevant to me. I do what I do and have never been told to get off.

I play because I'm compelled by some inner force. An annoying passion over which I have no choice and it's both incredibly satisfying and frustrating in equal measure. It is what it is so I just go with the flow.

Danbgreen and bromdenlong like this.
  19. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Maybe many give up because lack of time to practice, i had many hours because was at home here as a carer. Also many may need a teacher to get them going i think, some try it alone and get stuck so just pack it in i nearly did a few times when i started.

20. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Fully paid up member to Mediocrity here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.