Are you a mediocre guitar player? Congratulations!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Kelleycaster, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Kelleycaster

Kelleycaster TDPRI Member

90% of those who attempt to play guitar abandon the pursuit within 1 year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mu...tar-players-give-up-within-a-year-says-fender

A lot of y’all I’m sure have already heard this statistic from Fender a year ago. I just heard about it today, and although it doesn’t surprise me, it is interesting to ponder the fact that someone who has been at it for a couple years and knows just enough to be scary is already in the 90th percentile for sticking with it.

It takes many hours of practice to become a terrible guitar player, so give yourself a pat on the back!:D

2. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Encouraging news!

3. PlainAllman

PlainAllman Tele-Afflicted

If this is true then there is a lot of 1 year old barely played used instruments out there for sale. I need to visit the pawn shops more. :D

4. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Buying a cheap un-tunable, horrible action guitar undoubtedly contributes to a chunk of that 90% .... kids are like, this sucks! I always tell any parent that asks, get 'em something at least a half-decent, you can always sell it if interest is lost.

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Been playing for years, and yes I would say I'm a mediocre player.
    I sometimes watch some youtube, which confirms my mediocrity.
    According to Dunning-Krueger, I'm either better than I think I am, or worse thank I think I am.

Don't really care - I enjoy myself. IMO that's what really counts.

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

ive been playing on and off for 30 years...i still consider myself a beginner

7. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

I started playing in 1968. I played with a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee a few years back and we had a good time. That was a big deal to me.

And once, a young man ran up to me as I was leaving the stage and told me that he had all my albums at home.

After all these years here’s the way it works:

I wish that I was a much better guitarist.

Non-guitarists who hear me think that I’m amazing. I appreciate their enthusiasm, but don’t give it much heed.

Other guitarists who hear me don’t say much, but now and then they’ll say, “Hey man, show me what you just did!” I take that as a complement.

So, mixing all that down, I guess I’d conclude that I’m an adequate guitarist. They haven’t tarred and feathered me, and rode me out of town astride a rail for my playing. No one has said, “You suck!”

But I don’t think there’s any danger of anyone declaring me the next Hendrix.

I can do an adequate job of it without embarrassing myself, but there are many, many better guitarists out there than me, both on stage or on their couch somewhere.

The only complements that I take to heart are those occasionally expressed by my fellow guitarists. I value those, though I like others as well.

Yep! Adequate. That’s me.

kuvash, Gene O., Wildcard_35 and 14 others like this.
  8. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Holic

I’ll second this emotion!

Kelleycaster likes this.
  9. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

My playing is a fixer-upper.

tubedood, willie ray and Dismalhead like this.
  10. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

On a good day...

Old Plank likes this.
  11. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Holic

I can't afford to quit. Do you know how much I've spent on pedals in the last few months alone????

12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yay for me!

Kelleycaster and Dismalhead like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Those of you who remain upon the battlefield suffering from extreme GASOTITUS will be not only be expected, but required to do more in purchasing an ever increasing number of instruments to fill the gap left in purchasing by those would be guitarist who have fallen away from their duty.

14. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

90% seems a bit bold to me. I'd hafta look at the research methods Fender used; however, I know my own retention rate over the past few years of teaching roughly 3,000 lessons has been quite a bit better than that. I'm pretty sure the retention rate of a lot of my colleagues has been better than that too. Remember that the drop out rate of the instructors themselves is pretty high. I've seen quite a few instructors get their butts handed to them in a lesson room on a daily basis and quit within a matter of 3 months...so yeah their students didn't last a year, but neither did they as instructors. I kinda wish those students didn't count as having taken a lesson at all, lol but I'd guess they still do. Heck, maybe Fender wasn't even assuming the person was taking lessons, even though you'd think they would if they were taking to monetize the whole thing...

I strongly believe that if you are a hiring good music educator, you shouldn't be looking at Navy SEAL training attrition rates. That sounds like a number that insecure teachers would pull out of their rear ends (and potentially worse yet, then strive to meet) to make themselves feel better about losing the vast majority of their students in a relatively short period of time. It strikes me as borderline preposterous to lose that many students in a year's time.

I would further guess that Fender's statistics don't bother to take into account people who quit for a year or two and then pick the instrument back up. When statistics are being floated by businessmen, I always assume they have been intensely massaged in order to portray the most flattering picture possible.

Kelleycaster, Asmith and Hari Seldon like this.
  15. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@Steerforth - you should know that "adequate" is the Only rating the social workers will give a prospective adoptive parent, and then approve going forward.

Whenever Mrs Deeve wants to give me a compliment, she says: "that was adequate, hon..."

Peace - Deeve

Old Plank likes this.
  16. Steerforth

Steerforth Tele-Afflicted

Hey! Maybe I’m doing better than I thought, Deeve! LOL!

Deeve likes this.
  17. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I aspire to mediocrity...

18. ChuckC

ChuckC TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

NO matter what anyone might say , we all know in our hearts where we stand, but we need the encouragement, it really helps.

Wildcard_35, Deathray and Frodebro like this.
  19. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup, and thanks.

Cheers,
    Geoff

20. Stardog75

Stardog75 Tele-Meister

Man I suck and I have been at it for a couple years.no where near as good as I should be but I wont give up and I love it.i cant wait till I'm good.

barfly69 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.