Are you a lover or a fighter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Jan 15, 2020.

Lover or a fighter?

1. Lover

43 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. Fighter

8 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Fight to Love

10 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Love to Fight

5 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I realized earlier that I have never been in a physical confrontation with another person. Sure there have been tons of time where my brother & I would "fight", but they always were broken up before we really got out of control. And of course I've had arguments with countless people, but they never came to blows.

I wouldn't know what to do if I got into a fight. Everyone thinks they have a plan until they get hit. I would probably lose my composure and start wildly swinging hoping I landed a few & didn't get beat down too badly.

How about you?

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I put some years into learning how to fight. The first lesson was always, "Don't fight if there's any way to avoid it."

Probably the best thing I got out of it was enough confidence to handle most situations without physical confrontation, or backing down.

Matt G, JSMac, KWal and 2 others like this.
  3. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

Neither. My mom says I'm a peacemaker.

OldDude2, Skydog1010 and Bassman8 like this.
  4. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

Once at a haunted house (think I was 24-25 at the time) I got drawn into looking at this oil barrel thing with realistic body parts in it (just like they wanted you to), then when you look up from it there was a scary butcher looking man that pops out to startle you. My involuntary response was to punch him square in the face. This was, officially, the first man I had ever punched. I just remember him looking at me like he wanted to rip my head off while he was rubbing his face. I know I tried to apologize, but at that point they kind of shoved us on to the next section. Apparently this sort of thing happens a lot at Haunted Houses. Anyways, I say all that to say that I realized I better learn how to kick or something in a real fight, cause I can't punch for nothing, or just not get in them in the first place. Oh yeah, my hand also swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. Thankfully it was picking hand!

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i'm a trickster.

6. Slap Axe

Slap Axe TDPRI Member

I’m gonna say both, but leaning more towards lover I suppose. I haven’t been in a real fight since high school, but I’ve come close, and recently. My neighbor damn near pushed me right over the edge just yesterday. That was the 2nd confrontation we’ve had since he bought the house next door a couple years ago. The first time he was so disrespectful that I feigned a punch and flinched him, his next words were, “that’s assault!”. I’m not proud of it.

He’s a disrespectful privileged young rich guy that just doesn’t get the whole being a good neighbor thing. I’m a nice guy, but I have my limits. He got my Irish WAY up yesterday when he slammed his snow shovel against the outside wall of my office/music room. It was very loud, shook the wall, and it made me jump. The 2nd time it happened, I stormed outside fuming and just went off on him. Once male dominance was firmly re-established:D, and things calmed down, we talked it out, shook hands, and I THINK we have an understanding going forward now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    richiek65 likes this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Growing up a runt, I found at times I had to teach people that just because I was small, they'd still best not **** with me.

8. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I grew up in the '50s/early 60s midwest rural small town environment where we kicked each others asses just for something to do. Seems bizarre now but it was just life then. No guns or knives.

9. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've always been big and even-tempered. Nobody in my neighborhood ever offered to mess with me. Whether that's due to my good nature or being bigger than others, I dunno.

I do know that my Dad scared the crap outta the neighborhood teen-rowdies when I was about 10. After ten minutes of US Navy verbal abuse and promises of dire consequences, they didn't slouch outta the neighborhood, it was flat out "run away!" Geez, I miss him...:D Def. a fighter.

carpenter likes this.
  10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Unfortunately, as a younger man, I was a fighter. Not particularly proud of it. But I learned how to get hit in the mouth and take it standing up. Also, I may have one of the hardest skulls in the history of mankind. Seriously... I can take a blow to the head from a Mack truck and not really have any immediate effects that I’m aware of... I’m sure that long term effects are different... we’ll see.

But the last bonafide fist fight I was in was 20 years ago... with a roommate.

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m an ex-lover, and an ex-fighter.
    Now I’m just a guitar player.

Matt G, 39martind18, matrix and 15 others like this.
  12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You forgot the “Gangster of Love” option...

JSMac, McGlamRock, matrix and 10 others like this.
  13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Both fighter and lover. Had a couple fistfights in restrooms in junior high, and one outside a bowling alley in my early 20s. Nobody ever “wins” in a fight. As stated above, it’s best to avoid fights.

I had some close calls over the years that were luckily defused in some way or another. Just last summer, my deranged nuisance neighbor was in my face, and he took a fake swing at me. He is probably in his early 30s. Hallelujah, he moved in March.

Chick-N-Picker and stormsedge like this.
  14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I look like a farmer...

Wallo Tweed and brookdalebill like this.
  15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

I’m a lover. I’ve only been in one real fistfight, many years ago. Even though I won I feel some degree of shame for having engaged in it- even after all these years. That said, if you hurt my kids, I’d end you.

Nubs likes this.
  16. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

In high school, I was an occasional punching bag. I am definitely not a fighter, but at 6'5", there have been a handful of times as an adult where someone with something to prove pressed the point to the point where I had no choice. It wasn't pretty, although I came out generally unscathed, sometimes more so than the provocateur. Confrontation in general is something I avoid.

I am also not a lover. 'Nuff said about that.

The sad thing is that in my 40s, long after such things stopped, I got a theatre degree, and 12 of my 120 credits were in Stage Combat. It's amazing how much you have to learn about real fighting in order to fake it. Kinda wish I could have a few do-overs. And, I can run you through with a sword before you know it.

stormsedge and brookdalebill like this.
  17. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been in a heck of a lot more fights than in love

Matt G and Vibrolux59 like this.
  18. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Uhh, no. I'm a lighter.

19. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm more of a leave-me-the-hell-alone-er.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That's me as well. Never been much into fighting, but I'll stand up for myself if somebody is trying to cause me any grief.

Fiesta Red likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.