1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are you a guitar, amp, or effect guy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DeepDangler, Apr 4, 2021.

Favorite gear to collect

1. Guitars

63.1%
  2. Amps

25.5%
  3. Effects

11.4%
  1. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

All three subscribing to the philosophy of "collect them all, trade with your friends". But, I voted guitars.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I love amps...but when I found “The Amp” for me (‘63-reissue Vibroverb), I haven’t found anything else (within reason) that makes me separate my money from my wallet. I wouldn’t mind a different amp, but not enough to buy the ones that turn my key.

I love pedals...a good pedal can be inspiring for new sounds—or even song ideas based on a cool modulation effect or some such...and I have a lot of pedals at my feet; but outside of stumbling upon a new effect or replacing something that has broken, I’m not investing much more time or money into pedals at this point.

But for me, it’s gotta be guitars.
    Yes, I always end up sounding like myself, but I like the variety of being able to sound like myself on a dreadnought or a parlor guitar or a 12-string or through P-90s or humbuckers or a Strat or a Tele or...

You get the point.

Also, different guitars—different neck profiles, body/neck balance, overall weight, levels of sustain—make me play differently...

...and I just like to look at the different guitars as well...just looking at a tough, funky Telecaster or a beautiful Stratocaster or a streamlined Flying V makes me happy.

So I guess I’m a guitar guy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  3. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

Guitars. I have an acoustic that I like to play. No amp needed.

4. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Definitely guitar. Amps and pedals are just ... necessities.

5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have multiples of everything but guitars get my vote. Amps do not "move me" to play more or differently.

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I don’t know if I collect. I have a pretty hard rule that anything not getting played for six months, gets put up for sale. I don’t care how cool or sentimental it is, if I ain’t playing it, it’s gone.

I’m very satisfied right now with 7 guitars and 3 amps:

-2012 Gibson Les Paul Junior Special
    -2013 MIJ Fender Telecaster ‘52 RI
    -198? Kasuga ‘Northern’ SC (MIJ LP copy)
    -2018 Yamaha Revstar w/ 498T/490R pickups
    -1989 Yamaha Pacifica with Tex-Mex pickups
    -2020 Godin Metropolis Classic QIT acoustic
    -1985 Yamaha acoustic 12 string
    -Orange Rocker 15 Terror
    -VOX Night Train 15h G2
    -Peavey Bandit 112

I have and use more that 10 pedals, but feel mostly content with my board.

7. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

Yes.

8. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

I have 31 guitars, seven amps and only six pedals. I guess my choice is obvious.

9. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I don't have a single effect pedal.
    I have one amp.
    I have 9 electric and an acoustic guitar. Plus a bass.

So....

10. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Where’s the yes option?

11. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I have lots of guitars, but I'd like to get rid of half of them.
    I have many, many pedals but I like having all those choices so they will be staying.
    I have quite a few amps, but I'd love to have some really cool classic ones. That won't be happening, mostly due to practical considerations.

12. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My "collection" (I hate to call it that, but there it is) is heavy on guitars with a small smattering of amps. No pedals, but I've had hankerings sometimes to make myself a pedal board.

13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Afflicted

To answer the title.

Yes.

But to expand. I have a Johnson Millennium 150 at home. I can plug any electric guitar into it and it will sound good.

A great guitar will sound like garbage through a garbage amp as will great pedals.

The Johnson lies to me constantly. Guitars that sound great on it sometimes sound terrible on a real amp. So the amp makes all the difference.

But I still like great guitars and pedals.

To clarify, I'm not saying the Johnson is a great amp, I'm saying it makes all guitars sound "great". The cost is each guitar losing its character and that's the point of having other guitars.

My 75 Twin Reverb is great at showcasing each guitars character but not great at everything a covers only band (like mine) might want to do.

I use a Hot Rod DeVille and guitars, pre-amps/pedals fill in the gaps.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  14. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I just set out to create the tones I was hearing in my head. All of the above were required many times over. I had no idea my head was such a busy place. I mean .... from the outside it's a relatively quite rider above and between my shoulders that grows hair, speaks softly and tends to nod when I'm tired. Inside .... it's a crowd on a subway car waiting for the door to open.

Torren61 and G.Rotten like this.
  15. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I put effects because I have way more of them than anything else. I think I am in the 100ish area. I can’t honestly say how I got that many or when it happened. I am a little embarrassed by it truth be told.

northernguitar and Torren61 like this.
  16. GBfun

GBfun TDPRI Member

Ha. It's the long and dreary Seattle Winter !

I bought far too much stuff myself....and that's my excuse ! ;)

(a reluctant Washingtonian)

17. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Not a new question on TDPRI. There's probably even been a poll on this before. But I don't begrudge the OP the question, and I'll play along. (And that choice of idiom is a clue to how I voted.)

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: Tell people you're a musician, and invariably someone will ask, "Oh? What instrument do you play?" I've heard this asked of others, and I have fielded the question myself more times than I can count. Never once have I or any of my musician friends replied, "Amplifier." Or, "Effects pedals."

And the whole question assumes that the discussion is about electric guitar. However, many of us old codgers here on TDPRI (the OP is just a few years older than my oldest grandson) began guitar-playing life with an acoustic. The Folk and Folk/Rock genres were all the rage when we began playing. Shoot, even a lot of the early Beatles' performances and recordings were done with Gibson and Epiphone acoustics (Gibson J-160E & the Texan).

I get it. An electric guitar, especially a solidbody, requires amplification to be heard, and the amp and the guitar's pickups are tremendously important to the tone you're going for. I love my VOX Pathfinder 15Rs. I have three of them. I have owned or plugged into various acoustic amps, and my Fishman Loudbox Minis are my amp of choice for acoustic/electric playing. I've found what amps give me the tone I want, and I've doubled up, even tripled up, on said amps, just to make sure I always have them as part of my sonic arsenal.

And effects enhance an otherwise dry signal. I routinely use reverb and tremolo (in varying degrees, depending again on the need of the song) when playing my teles through my Pathfinders. And on acoustic/electric I'll use reverb and just a touch of chorus. I'm mainly talking about effects built into the amp here, but I do have a BOSS ME-70 multi-fx pedal, and I'll use compression, OD, fuzz, chorus and delay depending on the need.

But without a guitar plugged into it, an amp is just an expensive footstool. Without a guitar, effects pedals are just expensive paperweights.

DeepDangler likes this.
  18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I got 10 electric and 8 acoustic guitars, 2 basses and 2 ukuleles. I have 2 main electrics and 1 main acoustic, but I play all of them from time to time except my first 2 guitars who are just....ah, well, let's say low budget guitars in the 80s are quite different from beginners instruments nowadays. That doesn't seem so much given the time I play.
    I have 6 guitar amps (1 for acoustics) and 2 bass amps. And something around 20 pedals all in all. I now know what I want in an amp or pedals and I don't develop any GAS.
    I wouldn't call myself a collector.
    I play guitar since 1980, every instrument I ever bought was for a reason and most of them were an improvement. The difference is, I can sell pedals and even amps, but I can't sell guitars.

19. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Friend of Leo's

I voted effects, since I have more of those than the other categories, but I don't use pedals much. :confused:

20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a collector.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.