Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TokyoPortrait, Feb 20, 2020.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

In this day and age of contested identity, various, and all the rest of it, I always enjoy this song when it pops up on shuffle, like just now.

The Barbarians, 1965.

Pax/
    Dean

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I was always told, had I been born a girl, there’d be at least one Trollop in the family.

TokyoPortrait, Fendereedo and Shuster like this.
  3. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

from cape cod mass.

cyclopean and TokyoPortrait like this.
  4. 4XFaster

4XFaster TDPRI Member

I too am from Cape Cod. Fun fast - Moulty works for Jack Conway & Co, Inc. Real Estate!

5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Depends, how much does the gig pay?? I'm not cheap, but I can be had!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    getbent and Greggorios like this.
  6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I was always told that if I was born a girl, I would be named Samantha, but hey, whatever....:confused:

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

:eek:

getbent and TokyoPortrait like this.
  8. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The Barbarians were the first “big name” rock band I saw at age 14 in mid-Michigan. I went to take a leak and was shocked to see a long haired woman standing at one of the urinals. I was even more surprised when she turned around and the she was he with one hand being a metal contraption. He said “Hey man, how ya doin’?” and went back out to his band. He was the drummer.

I was a pretty naive small town kid back then and as such ya don’t forget moments like that. And The Barbarians were pretty damned good on stage!

9. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Cool story. Meshes well with the song too.

Pax/
    Dean

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

cover this one

TokyoPortrait and getbent like this.
  11. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

they interviewed moulty on the local npr station a few years ago.lives in plymouth i think.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  12. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

From the IMDB:

"Victor "Moulty" Moulton is the legendary one-handed drummer of the 60's garage rock band the Barbarians. Moulton was born in Massachusetts and grew up in Cape Cod. He began playing guitar when he was a little boy and started playing the drums at age 14. Moulton lost his left hand when a homemade pipe bomb blew up right in his face in 1959. Undeterred by this unfortunate incident, Victor got a metallic prosthetic hand and continued to play the drums (he's widely regarded in rock'n'roll music circles as a truly great drummer). He formed the Barbarians when he was 19. The group appear as themselves and perform the song "Hey Little Bird" in the terrific rock concert documentary "The T.A.M.I. Show." Moreover, the Barbarians also appeared on the TV musical variety show "Shindig," had a modest mid-chart hit with the witty ditty "Are You a Boy or Are You a Girl?," and achieved their greatest notoriety with the incredible inspirational single "Moulty," which relates in hilariously melodramatic detail how Moulton lost his hand, but refused to quit and avidly pursued his dream of becoming a successful rock musician. The group disbanded in 1968. Moulton bounced back with a new version of the Barbarians in 1973 and recorded five songs which include four tunes he wrote himself. His second wife Chris plays piano on these recordings. In addition, Victor wrote the song "Mexico" for the band Cat's Ass. Moulton disappeared from the rock music scene in the 80's, but emerged once again in the 90's with yet another new incarnation of the Barbarians that included among its members his sons Tory and Eric. Moulton has also taught karate and works for the real estate firm Jack Conway & Co, Inc. Realtor. He's mentioned in the lyrics of the song "Do You Remember Rock'n'Roll Radio?" by the Ramones."

4XFaster, TokyoPortrait and Stubee like this.
  13. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

EDD425CB-3F13-4007-A9E6-232452F65F73.jpeg

Here’s Moulty and that’s about how he looked when I saw him turn around except I was the surprised one!

14. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

I knew about Moulty years and years, decades possibly, before I ever heard the Barbarians. I think it was in the Rolling Stone History of Rock and Roll (the edition with all the faces on the cover), in what I think was a section about garage bands. Maybe.

I had forgotten all about him, then a friend gave me a garage band compilation and when the song "Moulty" came on, I instantly remembered reading about him.

Pax/
    Dean

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.