1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are You a Better Typist?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Agave_Blue, Jun 25, 2010.

Are You a Better Typist?

1. Yes, I am a better typist.

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No, I am not a better typist.

18 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. What's a typist?

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Assuming you play guitar with some modest aptitude (say good enough to play a song in front of freinds or family), I assume you have some manual dexterity.

With your dexterous skills, have you found that it's made you a better typist?

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I could type 70 WPM in high school. I didn't start learning to play guitar until I was 18 and had graduated. I can now type over 100 MPH, and I'm pretty good on the guitar too. But I don't think they've necessarily helped each other..

3. JustPlayItLoud

JustPlayItLoud TDPRI Member

Learned to type before I took up guitar, probably sixth grade, I'd say. With a two year head start before taking up guitar, I was already a pretty good typist when I picked up the guitar.

If anything I've gotten worse because I'm not forced to use it nearly as much as I did when I was in school.

4. ShortBuSX

ShortBuSX Tele-Holic

I type better than I play the guitar, and I dont type very well.
    Internet forums and work have really helped me become a better typist.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

75-80 wpm and I cant even see the keys. I do make a few typos cause I type alot of messages and dont review them as close as I should. SO sometimes I hit the letter next to the one I really mean to type.

My Mom could type 110 wpm on a manual non electric typewriter.

6. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

I don't know how many WPM I type.

Long ago I had to type 28 WPM to pass a course. I did, but it was 2 fingers. :lol:

Now I type (more) properly.

I don't know if the manual dexterity from playing guitar has made me a "better" typist, but I think I hit the wrong keys a bit faster than before.

That may tell you something about my guitar "playing" as well; there's a fair number of sour notes.

7. Canuckcaster

Canuckcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I learned to type on an electric typewriter, rather than a computer keyboard. I failed grade 10 typing, but I'm a wonderful guitarist.:rolleyes: Thanks for reminding me of something else, other than guitar, that I suck at.

CC

8. Ptrallan01

Ptrallan01 Tele-Holic

Typing hasn't helped or hurt my guitar playing or vice versa but Stenotype hurt my piano playing and vice versa.

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I was the fastest typist in my class. I remember talking to my poor desk partner while we both typed. I used to practice for speed on an old manual at home. I really enjoyed developing manual dexterity then, as I do now.

10. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

when i was 16 nobody could type "dividends" faster than me

11. Olympus

Olympus Tele-Meister

I've been typing a lot longer than I've been playing guitar. One of the factors of being a part of the technology generation I guess. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a career where playing guitar is a part of the job like I can with typing. Maybe if playing guitar was like typing, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much.

12. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

I'm a much better typist than guitarist. I work in the IT field I type all day,,, and most of the night. It is pretty easy.

although. the "number row" has always eluded me.. If I have to type numbers I look at the keyboard. But not for words.

13. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

I use the two index finger "hunt & peck" method.

14. crowden

crowden Tele-Holic

ditto

15. rocksteady Max

rocksteady Max Tele-Afflicted

I've learned typing with the proper technique in high school at the same time I was beginning guitar ... But my guess is that it's the other way around : if you play an instrument like piano or guitar you will learn typing faster.

16. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

Trying to copy programs in basic out of a book and then pressing the reset button by accident, then re-typing the same code as fast as possible made me a better typist.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sometimes the keyboard gets away from me and I type a whole bunch of extra things I shouldn't.

Thank goodness that does not happen on the guitar. Or I certainly hope it isn't happening.
    I will tell you working with heavy tools and machines does no good for my typing or for my guitar playing. Same thing with whitewater kayaking. Too many disparate uses of the same muscle groups. They forget which task is being imposed on them.

18. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I used to test over 100 WPM.

(I write for a living...)

19. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

I'd never tested myself before, but just did one of the online typing tests - 50 wpm with 82% accuracy. I'm pretty OK with that considering that I've never taken a typing class in my life.

...and like some others have said, I'd still have to say that I type better/faster than I play guitar!

20. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

I"ve alwats benn aen exceelleent typisy. I dpn't ewen hace to loool at thw ketboaed!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.