Are Wide Range humbuckers low or high output?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Entangled, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Entangled

Entangled NEW MEMBER!

Hi,

I'm using a Telecaster Deluxe 72 with a Laney VH 100R. The guitar cable in the Laney can be plugged into two inputs:

HI INPUT, for low output guitars with single coils or low output humbuckers.

LOW INPUT, 50% attenuated for high output guitars with high gain humbuckers.

So my question is: are wide range humbuckers in my tele low output or high output? I've always used LOW INPUT but the sound is kind of thin sometimes so I'm wondering if I should use HI INPUT instead.

Generally, both the guitar and amp are pretty bright so I'm struggling to dial out the excessive harshness in the high end while retaining the punch necessary for stonery/doomy music I play. If anyone has any tips for that (including changing the guitar ;)) I'd be grateful for that.

Cheers

2. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Holic

What pots are in the guitar ? If they are 500 you can back the down to 250 to cut some of the high end. But to answer your question:
    MagnetsAlnico 5, 8 or CeramicCoil
    Wire43AWGLead
    WireVintage Braided or Modern 4-WayBridge
    Output13.6kNeck Output11.7k

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

You can try it in either one, and whichever you like better is fine. If it sounds thin in the low input definitely try the high.

davidchagrin likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Measure the kohms of the pickups (if the above number are correct and you're in the 10-13kohms they are pretty hot). If too bright and you can't get the tone knob to control them, then swap the volume pots for 250k as previously suggested. You might try lowering the pickups as much as you can to sweeten them up first along with the tone knob adjustment.

Plug into the High gain and then use your volume knob to dial back and clean up the tone some. You may want a treble bleed on the volume pot or not (clip one in temporarily to experiment).

5. Entangled

Entangled NEW MEMBER!

Thanks for all the replies so far! The guitar pots are 250k, so in this case I understand it should be plugged into the hi input pot? I'll try lowering the pickups, I know that they were put in a higher position than standard.

However, the other guitarist in the band uses a combo of Orange Rockerverb and Les Paul so I have to be careful not to lose too much power, when playing riffs I already struggle to cut through so I'm wondering whether lowering the pickups won't make this worse.

6. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I have a Tele Custom and IIRC it has 1k pots or something like that (it's probably been 20 something years since I opened it up). I always thought those high output jacks were more geared towards active pickups (or pups for you blooze daddies) but I say just use what sounds best.

MilwMark likes this.
  7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Why not plug into the other input and see which sounds better? Is this for real?

Felino, davidchagrin and metalicaster like this.
  8. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

RI WRHBs are around 8k for both neck and bridge. I believe Alnico 4 in the bridge and Alnico 2 in the neck.

The originals with CuNiFe pole pieces are around 10k.

MIJ ceramic WRHBs are possibly around 12k.

Remembering that resistance doesn't tell the whole story of whether a pickup is hot or not.

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They're hotter than singkrs, about on a par with vintage PAFs. I'd try 2, probably more headroom. But if you find them insipid try 1. They will be 1 meg stock pots. A lot of people think 500ks are better.

They can be bright otherwise.

10. metalicaster

metalicaster Tele-Afflicted

I never knew there was anybody who actually used those "Low" input jacks you sometimes see...

The ones with a resistor forming a divider?
    No such thing as the "correct" input, it's a musical instrument, try them out for SOUND.

In theory the simple loading of the input jack setup on the cable/guitar should darken the sound a bit while attenuating it.
    It's a simple passive divider after all - like a hard wired vol pot.

On the other hand the amp may have altered cap values later on to compensate..

Nothing anybody on this forum can tell you will beat you trying it out for yourself.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    davidchagrin and TeleTucson like this.
  11. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Start with the high. If you have an issue, try the other? This is all personal preference but the choice between the two inputs is just a cheap way to provide a quick fix if you have an issue in the first place.

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

my input is use only the bridge pickup

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.