1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are we wrong? - Stamps/collecting not dropping in value?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mad Kiwi, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

For the past few years I, like many here have discussed and wondered what the passing of the boomer generation will do to Guitar, Hot rod, vintage car, etc. values.

Many of our conversations have used stamp collecting as an example.

I had a very interesting conversation with an old family friend ("Uncle") who has been collecting stamps since he was a boy.

He says they did drop a bit at one point but are as strong as ever and in fact still going up in value.

If this is true it puts a new light on these conversations and theories we have had the past few years....

Thoughts?

2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

I don't know. I collected baseball cards some with autographs and so much sports stuff I thought it would all be worth a lot. Nope. Looks nice in the rec room as conversation pieces but most of it is not worth much. Nice memories collecting though. I hope stamps did better.

Telecasters84 likes this.
  3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

[​IMG]

Flat6Driver and Supa Necta like this.
  4. Harbinger77

Harbinger77 Tele-Meister

Pointless apples/oranges debate.

You can’t make an accurate projection of future value, and the past value of an unrelated item doesn’t change that.

JL_LI likes this.
  5. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Early American furniture and sets of china and dishes don’t seem to be holding their values.

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The problem predicting the value of stamps, now and in the future, is that to have value they have to be sold, sold to a decreasing number of collectors. My mother in law died leaving a stamp collection. One of my sons was the only one interested. He found that is was easy enough to get an appraisal but the collection couldn’t be sold for a third of that. The explanation of the anomaly was that there are too few people interested in purchasing stamps for someone buying the collection to see a return on investment. So stamps have insurance value but little intrinsic value. To get your money out of a collection you have to burn down the house that houses them. This will only get worse as collectors age out of the hobby.

Guitar collections won’t fare much better as collectors age out but at least a guitar has intrinsic value. It’s a musical instrument after all. I look at it this way. Don’t collect anything you can’t use and enjoy and don’t expect anything you collect to hold value beyond sentimental value.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Nickfl, whole tone and Boreas like this.
  7. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

We have a stamp collection that we inherited, started in the 1930's, that belonged to my father in law. No clue what to go with it. We have large storage tubs full of stamps and albums. In the 1980's my son started collecting baseball cards. There must be 10,000 on them in boxes including full sets and error cards. There is no one interested in that stuff. It might me useable as kindling for starting fires.

8. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

The rich have gotten richer, the stock market is up, and certain types of collectable are selling well. Comic books from the 60s aka silver age are going for crazy amounts. Early spiderman comics, for example go for thousands for cooies in average condition.

9. whole tone

whole tone TDPRI Member

I digitized a co-workers stamp collection. It was over 1200 pages from a huge citation stamp book. It was an amazing world tour through history from the late 1800's to the 1970's. As far as worth, I agree with JL.

10. Supa Necta

Supa Necta TDPRI Member

You don’t say....
    image.jpg

fretWalkr and Blue Bill like this.
  11. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

JL_Li has it right. It's entirely about buyers. Stamps (or comic books, or sports cards, etc., etc.) have no intrinsic value at all. If people want them enough to spend money on them, those deals establish market value for as long as those conditions apply. Experience shows thatr this can drive all kinds of bubbles--boom, bust, who knows?--that almost always has the effect of causing most participants to lose money. Sure, stuff rebounds...usually...but hardly anyone cvan play the game successfully over time. I've had some good scores myself in a number of areas, mostly, I'm sure, by luck but also because my purchases have at least some intrinsic present and future use in addition to whatever fad/fashion/trend value they may have. With the social changes we're seeing, you do have to wonder if anyone will care about stamps in 25 years, orf old mandolins... etc. Perhaps overpopulation will ensure that there are always buyers, even if most of the population has no interest. Personally, I think the obsessive acquisition of unnecessary and useless material things may be a tangent not to travel in our short lives.

12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Some things will go away forever.
    Doo-Wop, gone.
    Chrome diners, gone.
    Tuxedos, gone, at least cummerbund.

But guitars will stick around. I’ve said forever Fender ought to think about marketing and product management because for sure Strats and P basses have about 15 years left.

But there will always be collectors.

My son goes to Target every other Saturday about 2 hours before they open to get in line. He knows the delivery schedule. He buys $2-300 of Pokémon cards. He lists them online and typically profits about $500 per week. Not kidding. And he doesn’t collect or even know anything about them. But he knows how to market to collections. Not bad for 17 year old.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Mad Kiwi likes this.
  13. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I believe the bigger size of collection the per unit sale value will be lower if you're in a hurry. If I have one guitar and live in sizable population center I could probably sell it for good value quickly. If i have a collection of 10+ guitars it's going to take a while to sell all of them for good prices.

My mother in law has a house full of what she believes are valuable antiques and wants us to believe we are inheriting actual money. The problem is she bought one item a month for 20+ years and believes each item will sell for more than what she paid. But for us it will probably be a matter of trying to find buyers to take groupings of items in a limited period of time and this will drive the prices way down.

So for all of us boomers who think were leaving our kids some kind of treasure in guitars and amps, most of them will just be sold at fire sale prices to get the house cleared out. My plan is to over time whittle down to one nice guitar+amp and be happy if any of my kids want to keep it in a closet when I'm gone.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  14. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

Instruments like Stradivarius which sell in the millions of dollars, aren't going down in value and there's far less people who are into them than are into guitars. There's only so many '59-'60 LP bursts and pre-CBS fenders made, and those will keep their value.

Killing Floor and sax4blues like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.