1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are we playing wrong-sided guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-friend, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Different sides of the mouth?

:eek:

2. IanMoss

IanMoss Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Of course. And (even as a complete guitar newbie) I'm not about to flip my RH guitar over and restring and play it LH.

But, you know, whatever works for people.

3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Im a LH playing RH. Never seemed to help me. I just imagine how bad i would have been playing LH!

4. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

From my perspective I can say that I started playing RH because my brother bought a guitar before I did and he is RH. I can clearly remember turning the guitar in both directions (right way and upside down) and asking "which is the right way?". So in that moment I could have started learning to play either way cause to me it seemed the same.

More interestingly there are some players who play upside down = highest string is the thinest and lowest string is the thickest. Guys like Albert King, Eric Gales, Otis Rush... and supposedly even Jimi Hendrix was able to play that way.
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/upside-down-guitar.836499/

loopfinding likes this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Tele-Afflicted

Yes. 100%. Guitar purists will argue some nonsense because of lutes or whatever. You use your most dexterous, most agile, strongest hand with the hardwired best hand-eye coordination to strum and your non dominant hand to do all the heavy lifting.
    History schmistory, there's no good reason, just a habit.

Lucius Paisley likes this.
  6. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Because tradition.
    I am right handed.
    I played trumpet from 5th grade through 3 years at LSU. The fingers of the right hand are used to manipulate the valves on a trumpet and I was quite dexterous when I stopped playing.
    I’d always played “air guitar” lefty not knowing any better. When I actually decided to go buy a guitar to fill the musical void in my life it felt wrong to hold a righty guitar.
    Had there been a lefty guitar in the store that day, I’d have probably bought it!

Tele-friend likes this.
  7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

A student in my conducting class did the first assignment lefty. I really felt for her as the teacher pointed out that it wasn't done that way, at least in classical music.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Larry F

I wonder how many lefties just flip over a guitar, vs. restringing.

9. Larry F

Albert King or somebody said playing righty upside down made string bends easier.

10. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I play a guitar with the headstock pointed to the right. It’s the way it feels most natural to me. I’ve never felt the need to analyze why. It’s the way I’m wired.

11. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I grew up with a kid who was a lefty and played right-handers upside down. Used to blow my mind when we'd jam together. This lady too, fairly big impact I'd say:

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

the right hand strums because the guitar is a descendant of the lyre, which is only played with one hand.

13. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why yes we are.

14. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

I cannot begin to imagine trying to pick or strum with my left hand.

15. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I have not tried playing opposite handed, but my $.02 is that good timing and rhythm are way more important than hitting all the right notes with the fretting hand.

Nubs and AAT65 like this.
  16. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I knew a couple of lefties learning to play righty at the same time I was learning (45 years or so ago): they both said they found right-hand strumming very difficult to do — their strumming felt very stiff and unnatural.
    Try it yourself: imho it’s harder to get your left wrist moving smoothly than to get your left hand fingers working on the fretboard. So I think in fact playing guitar the traditional way is the easiest way to get started, and probably the way to maximise your skills too.

17. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

There's only one side that has strings...

18. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

Yet another discussion on this topic. Here's my take:

Your dominant hand should be doing the strumming. Playing in time is more important than hitting the right notes.

If you disagree, you're playing wrong.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Rustbucket likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Interesting......when I studied choral and ensemble conducting (two different classes) in college, I don't think we had any lefties in class.....or at least the subject never came up. I have sung under a couple of left handed directors, though, and never had a problem. They used their dominant hand like a righty would, to primarily indicate the beats of a measure and tempo, and their non-dominant to indicate expression or dynamics, bring a section in or out, and anything a "normal" right handed person would do with their left hand. I don't recall having any problems following them. (although it has been forty-five or fifty years ago)

Larry F likes this.
  20. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What about 'footedness'? I'm right handed, and I've have always done everything right handed. However, when I was a kid and I stepped on a skateboard for the first time, I put my right foot forward on the board. That's what felt natural, and that's the way it continued.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.