1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are we in a 'Golden Age' of Telecasters/T-style guitars?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StevesBoogie, Jan 18, 2021.

1. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

It might be just me ... but is the Telecaster/T-style guitar getting lots of love recently? I mean, even more so lately than normal.

A handful of observations to note:
    • My personal favorite - Josh Smith - announced a T-style with Ibanez just this morning

• Greg Koch has had his Revered guitar, another T-style, available as of late

• Fender has been releasing signature model Telecasters just about every year, with a Chrissie Hynde model, Jason Isbell model, and an exciting Noventa model, for 2021

• The Professional II model appears to be received favorably but I don't have any sales numbers to support that

• Related to all of the above, I just don't see the same amount of focus and excitement with new offerings of other styles of guitars (I'm looking at you Stratocaster)
    On a microeconomic note - it sure seems my musical circle of friends (albeit small!) all either recently purchased a new Tele/T-style (myself included), or are talking that their next guitar will be one.

Festofish likes this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

I believe it's a golden age for all guitar related gear.

3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Guitars in general have gotten better every year in the 20+ years I've been playing. Everything from the beginner guitars to the custom shop level have all gotten better.

They've also become significantly more available. When I first started, to find a guitar you wanted, you had to stumble on it locally. Now, you can find exactly what you want, at any time of the day, and compare prices on multiple seller though places like Reverb.

And while Fender and Gibson (and Martin) all hold a comfortable place in the market, they're no longer THE source for good guitars. And that's good for all of us.

Yes its the golden age, and each year tends to get better and better.

4. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ditto!

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

For those of us "into" guitars and playing, I don't believe it's EVER been better. We can easily buy incredible instruments (ready to play) and we have innumerable sources to buy the components to put our own together.
    As I said, these conditions exist for "us".....but I don't know what percentage of the overall population "us" comprise. So it's possible we are in an era of great availability of guitars (and Telecasters in particular) and yet we have dwindling numbers of actual players.......:(

StevesBoogie and northernguitar like this.
  6. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Not until the Medici family supports the Tele arts!!

Dan German and archetype like this.
  7. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

I'd say we're in the "golden age" of guitars and amps, period. There's never been a time where we've had such a range of really well made instruments, acoustic or electric, and amps, pedals, etc. Some are expensive, oh yes, but not disproportionately to what they cost fifty or sixty years ago. Buying amps and guitars today is like going into Baskin Robbins!

Antoon, Obsessed and StevesBoogie like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, I agree, we are in the golden age of most guitars and gear. Perhaps even a few years past the hump. Golden eras in anything, don't last forever. The growing limitations of wood species and the tough times for some major manufacturers suggest reductions in many areas of our industry are on the horizon.

Jared Purdy and StevesBoogie like this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I think there was a peak about 5 years ago, just before MIM standards became players, and Bajas became Vinteras. Each stage involved a little price hike.

But generally? Yeah, there is so much out there of good quality that's affordable.

With some exceptions . . .

Boutique amps are still stupid money, and pretty much all pedals are vastly overpriced. How can a pedal cost more than a decent guitar or an amp? It just shouldn't but it often does.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  10. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

The mighty CNC machine has plunked us into a golden age for all sorts of guitars, including most especially the cheap ones, which are vastly better than they have ever been (unless you wanna make the case for the Japanese Teiscos et al, which makes pretty good sense too)

I've been playing my $160 Grote single-pickup jazzbox (sorta) for the past week. It's a wonderful instrument in all repects: almost weirdly good.

Lockback and StevesBoogie like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I was just going to say that. Counter to all the "things were so much better in the old days", the guitar world is better now than it has ever been.

northernguitar and StevesBoogie like this.
  12. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic

Interesting. That Grote name keeps popping up. What model is it? I am in the market for a jazzbox, looking at Gretsch and Ibanez, but if I can save 80% and buy Grote then I'm all ears!

13. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Totally agree with you on the CNC thing.
    My cheap Yamaha Pacifica is scary good. The fit and finish are excellent, the neck is amazing. Sure, the pickups aren't fantastic but overall the guitar for a $200 price tag is simply stunning.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  14. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Meister

It's the one on ebay. Some are red; some are a sunburst. Prices vary from $160 to $280. I think it's for the same guitar. A friend got one for $280 (Mine was $160), and it seems to be the same guitar, though his frets were a little better finished (A little rub w/ bronze wool squared mine away.), so maybe there are actually two tiers. I think it's a bargain at either price, frankly. Anyway, it plays very well - doesn't feel as stiff-playing as some hollowbodies, though that may be the strings, which feel like 9's to me, roundwounds. Aside from a little stray polishing compound, easily brushed off, it's cosmetically excellent. The big thing is the sound, though. Full all across the entire range. Very clear but full bass, prettily subdued treble, excellent sweep of sounds out of the tone control. It sounds just great - woody without being too plonky, nice sustain for the type, and so on. I know this sounds gushy, but the darn thing is just shockingly good. I'd get one (Well, I guess I have.) Loon that I am, I have ordered the twin hb version. It'll probably be great too. I'm a fan, I guess you could say.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  15. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Home audio also comes to mind.

StevesBoogie and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.