Are we guitarists the absolute worst about buying stuff for our stuff? Who is worse than we are?

John Backlund

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Well, I'd say they don't spend an awful lot of money on mufflers. So, there is that savings.
I have always held the belief that, somewhere, grows a shining, brilliant, mountain of pristine Harley-Davidson factory mufflers. A wondrous place, not unlike the fabled and mythical Elephant's Graveyard, where literal hillocks of gleaming tusk ivory reflect the savannah sun.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have always held the belief that, somewhere, grows a shining, brilliant, mountain of pristine Harley-Davidson factory mufflers. A wondrous place, not unlike the fabled and mythical Elephant's Graveyard, where literal hillocks of gleaming tusk ivory reflect the savannah sun.
Your perception of the universe is BIG ese! Your words painted the picture immediately in my mind, and I knew at once the words you spoke were not a dream, or even a belief, but a VISION!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
True, golfers, guitarists and even gun and rifle people are high on the list, but you all
wrong. It's "COOKS", think about it. Dads with their $4k outdoor grill, moms with $2k
pot and pans. It's a disease, worse than gambling. Between the cutlery, the pots and pans,
dishes, measuring cups, ovens, grills, timers, thermometers, and then you get to the spices
which is all together another ball game. Unlike golfers, guitarists etc. , everyone cooks and
everyone who cooks has an opinion on everything they prepare. You can't ask anyone on the
street what 7th chord would sound good here, but ask anyone what's the best way
to make tacos or chile or steak or even hot dogs or anything, man your conversation could last hours.

Oh man I forgot these people... my son got me one of these (different brand) for my Birthday one year.

1643041860108.png

Now I am looking at upgrading my knife set, after that is some more cast iron pans and then bakeware!!!

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
"Years ago, I asked a friend what kind of case she planned to buy for her shiny new flip phone. She paused, a little offended. “I don't like to buy stuff for my stuff.”

I couldn't help thinking that this article was talking about me. Picks, strings, effects, cables, amps, etc. I buy my guitars stuff all of the time.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-grand-unified-theory-of-buying-stuff/
I'm currently fighting myself about whether or not to get a larger pedal board and two new PSUs (maybe Voodoo Labs). I told myself early on that I wanted to keep my board small and manageable, but after a few pedal purchases that are larger than your average pedal (Fuzz War, Belle Epoch Deluxe and Benson Pre-Amp), I've eaten up most of the room on my Classic Jr. Not to mention that the Aetos PSU I have now is too freaking tall to mount under the board so there's lost space for two more pedals. (why would Walrus do that??)

Rant over. Carry on.