Are we guitarists the absolute worst about buying stuff for our stuff? Who is worse than we are?

E5RSY

Doctor of Teleocity
For me: Guns. Guitars. Golf. All equally dangerous to the pocketbook.

Apparently, there's something about the letter "G".

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
Watches can get ridiculous, and I have an "affordable" collection, ie: more Timex than Rolex :twisted: Some of the "Paneristi" will drop 10 K on the watch and thousands more on different straps for it. I had a Marina Militare homage for awhile, too darn big and the crown guard dug into my hand. Thankfully my watch strap taste runs more towards nylon NATO than Horween leather.

I started down the road of watchmaking tools when I built a few mechanical watches over 10 years ago, too much back pain discouraged me from going down that expensive rabbit hole. It was a fun diversion for a couple years and now I use the good Bergeon tweezers all the time when building pedals.

Flip G

Tele-Holic
Gamers are definitely into acquiring more and more stuff.
My wife is into knitting supplies, fountain pens, and exotic teas and teapots.

maxresdefault.jpg

pmacaula

Tele-Meister
The total spend winners for stuff for stuff must be racing sailboats. They are effectively never-ending custom engineering projects.
The winner of the top prize in sailboat racing, the America's cup, spends a few hundred mill for bragging rights, an old trophy and the right to do it all over again. The losers get bupkes other than a massive hole in the wallet. When Bill Koch, Larry Ellison (who both won it) and other billionaires tap out after a few goes, you know it is bonkers. Something like privately funding a Formula 1 campaign with no prospect of getting back any of the money you sunk into it.
Perhaps having your own spaceflight company would top it, though they at least pretend there is a prospect of some financial return some day.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I buy myself a present once a year. Most times it’s music gear. 1 Year it was a really nice chef’s knife because I cook a lot. Last year it was a very nice pocket knife because I never had 1. Another year it was a very rare record I had been looking for. Another year it was a silver/turquoise ring I liked. Often it’s a bottle of Lagavulin. I get 1 a year.

After inheriting multiple generations of cheap nasty kitchen knives, I spent a modestly tidy sum over the years gathering a basic collection of quality Chroma chef's knives - I resolved that essential tools that I'm likely to be using daily for the rest of my life are something worth investing in.

Mind you even kitchen cutlery can approach samurai sword levels of craftsmanship for the connoisseur with plenty to spend.

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
I can’t think of any hobby or endeavor that does not fit in this category.
My last hobby, Airsoft, when I looked into how much I spent playing was over $9,000.00. Weapons, upgrades, protective clothing, BBs, propane (for gas driven pistols), batteries & chargers, tracer units, laser sights, and the list goes an

I‘ve probably spent less on guitar upgrades/mods than any other endeavor I’ve been involved with.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Golf, guns, and boating are money pits, but some "hobbies" make or save money. I spent a ton of money on guitars and keyboards, but music was my living.

Another huge return on investment is: TOOLS

I have a two car garage, a detached 3-car garage, and a 1-car garage at a home I'm remodeling. Each one is a self contained shop (only one radial arm saw and drill press). My tools have saved me tens and tens of thousands of dollars.

Normally, SCUBA DIVING is a money pit, but I spent $5000 to build a nitrox filling station. Over the last 20 years, I have saved over $15,000.

Last edited:

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Just want to call out this excellent piece of forum-adjacent humor. Cheers!

Funny thing is that was the truth. He told me while we were fishing that he used to play bass (long story but we were at a men's church event) and we talked about why he quit and such. He then told me that he did not have any basses but that he thought he had an amp or head in the garage somewhere. Hoping that I might be able to score some new gear I told him if he uncovered it to let me know.

A week later he "texted" (added that info) me I needed to check out his new "bass" rig.

Last edited:

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Funny thing is that was the truth. He told me while we were fishing that he used to play bass (long story but we were at a men's church event) and we talked about why he quit and such. He then told me that he did not have any basses but that he thought he had an amp or head in the garage somewhere. Hoping that I might be able to score some new gear I told him if he uncovered it to let me know.

A week later he told me I needed to check out his new "bass" rig.
But wait.... a bass guitar is pronounced with a long A-- "bass" rhymes with "case". The fish is pronounced with a short a: "bass" rhymes with grass. Unless he told you about his new rig via a text or email I don't see how there would be any confusion....

Skyhook

Tele-Afflicted
Who are worse... hmm...

31O5-1N5W0L._AC_SX425_.jpg

In the interest of "full disclosure"; when I bought some various pot knobs and two new pickguards
for my P-Bass -copy, Mrs. Skyhook said the bass was my Barbie -doll.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
But wait.... a bass guitar is pronounced with a long A-- "bass" rhymes with "case". The fish is pronounced with a short a: "bass" rhymes with grass. Unless he told you about his new rig via a text or email I don't see how there would be any confusion....

It was via text, should have added that. LOL

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Within cycling, triathletes take the prize.

"That will shave 6 grams."
"That will cut 22 seconds over 80 miles."

Reply: "Only $1900 for a $16,000 bike? Sure."

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I agree with the guitars,bikes,motorcycles,ect.But I have to add sunglasses to the list.And every one of my girlfriends had piles,and piles of shoes.

Edgar Allan Presley

Friend of Leo's
I like the article linked in the original post, particularly this sentence: "I am jealous of the people who make it work with an Eames chair, a fancy ottoman, some nice art books, and multigenerational inherited wealth."

I can definitely understand this: "I often trick myself into thinking that the road to less stuff might be paved with more stuff." I don't know how many times I've looked at my crowded pedalboard and wall of amps and thought of selling it all and buying a tweed deluxe amp. Then I start to think, well, I shouldn't sell that amp because the deluxe won't be loud enough or clean enough for every gig. And I'll still want that old delay pedal because it sounds so sweet. Before long, the new plan is to sell nothing and add a tweed deluxe to the wall of amps.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
True, golfers, guitarists and even gun and rifle people are high on the list, but you all
wrong. It's "COOKS", think about it. Dads with their $4k outdoor grill, moms with $2k
pot and pans. It's a disease, worse than gambling. Between the cutlery, the pots and pans,
dishes, measuring cups, ovens, grills, timers, thermometers, and then you get to the spices
which is all together another ball game. Unlike golfers, guitarists etc. , everyone cooks and
everyone who cooks has an opinion on everything they prepare. You can't ask anyone on the
street what 7th chord would sound good here, but ask anyone what's the best way
to make tacos or chile or steak or even hot dogs or anything, man your conversation could last hours.