Are we guitarists the absolute worst about buying stuff for our stuff? Who is worse than we are?

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
As a cyclist, I would have to say 😡, er um uh - you’re right ! 🤣

I have though, for the better part of five years, resisted buying “white shoes“, which in most cycling circles would have me branded either a stooge, a misanthrope or at best, a contrarian .
ya..but do you have reflective stuff like stripes on yer bike...so if at night cars can't see yer white shoes they can see yer cool stripes?

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
No, we are not the absolute worst! Cars are probably the absolute worst hobby.

PS, does the OP's friend ever buy a printer cartridge or batteries? Floor mats for a car? New shoelaces?
"Buying stuff for your stuff" is kinda....normal.

Guys (it's 90% male) + hobbies + the internet = way too much stuff.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
Along with golfers, hobby fishers.
Many a canal or river bank in our sceptic isle is to be found littered with these shells of former people. Hunched, rod on a rest, flask of tea and a grim disposition. Come rain or shine, frost, fog or even flood, these denizens of the waterway sit there. Their hopes dangling on a monofilament promise. After hours of monotonous immobility, they may reel in a sorry specimen, which is then either returned immediately to the occluded depths, or retained in a submerged basket until reality overcomes hope and the day ends with freeing their finned detainees before departing for home, only to return further rounds of drudgery the following weekend.
instead I try to learn
Never Going Back Again

Sisyphus.gif

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
I buy myself a present once a year. Most times it’s music gear. 1 Year it was a really nice chef’s knife because I cook a lot. Last year it was a very nice pocket knife because I never had 1. Another year it was a very rare record I had been looking for. Another year it was a silver/turquoise ring I liked. Often it’s a bottle of Lagavulin. I get 1 a year.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a couple of friends who I bring up when my wife makes a comment about me buying a $100 guitar to flip.

First friend is an avid bass fisherman. It helps that his wife is addicted to fishing as well. Just a few weeks ago he was showing me his new bass rig (I was excited until I found it was a fishing pole). He shows me the fishing pole and tells me that the rod alone cost $135 bucks. I said, "you mean with a reel and everything?". He laughed and said the reel was $500 by itself. He also told me that he was looking at a new boat, I said, "man that will set you back probably 10 grand." He laughed again and said the one they were looking at was $50K!

Second friend I have is an dirt track racer running a dwarf car. He is running a dinosaur in his circuit but it is all he can afford at the time. He was telling me he needed to buy some new tires which were like $100 a pop and then he blew his motor and would need to get a new motor and he wanted to upgrade. That was going to run him like $2K and he was going to do all the work to put it in himself. Oh and he bought a trailer for $5K to haul it around and of course needed a truck to pull the heavy trailer. And he had to pay entry fees for the races and hopes he finishes top ten to make enough money to cover his entry fee. I mentioned his fuel, tires and wear and tear on the car and he said he doesn't race for the money to cover those things.

Third friend owns a chemical company and is pretty well off. We go to dinner with them about once a month even though we are in an entirely different tax bracket. He races the Baja Circuit. At one point he had a couple of motorcycle teams and a production truck in the race. The last two seasons he is racing a trophy truck. I am not sure they have even finished a race yet in the trophy truck due to mechanical difficulties and I hate to think what the cost is to operate that team but he loves it and it
When the bass fisherman gets serious let me know. $50k is a used boat.
is what he does.

After throwing these guys at my wife she is happy that she has a "sensible" husband lol.

Last edited:

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
My neighbour has a lousy pension, lives in a rented appartment and is always broke.
But he is a fisherman and he supposedly has more than $ 10 grant of fishing equipement.
Only ten grand of fishing equipment? Slacker. Tell me when he gets serious. Ten grand won’t buy the engine. Actually I went from a seventeen year old boat to a new one. It was a very worthwhile update.
0492C271-5C7A-4AA5-A2DF-BA3D9BB5F949.jpeg

Last edited: