Are we guitarists the absolute worst about buying stuff for our stuff? Who is worse than we are?

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
Cars, motorbikes, rifles, handguns, fishing, golf, gas powered rc cars, boats, and bicycles all are bigger "tinkering money pits" triple the cost if you're into red competitive side of any if them.

Sports memorabilia, graded comics, and watches all have high costs and less tinkering (just acquisition).

Miniature wargames and trading card games have a specific curve to the acquisition and tinkering parts, but can be cheaper than guitars in some cases.

But we aren't special, and not high on the list as far as cost goes.

gpw5150

Tele-Meister
Tri-athletes. Anything to make you lighter or faster!

Tbh, my wife says it is a loaded question: ‘anything boy’s are into needs upgrading, more of it or replacing even though it is still working just fine’

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
Answer to who is worse:

Videographers/cinematographers/directors of photography (same role, but depends on who the client is, lol). Our gear is not only more expensive, but sometimes proprietary, and a with a relatively short shelf life (with respect to demand, not service life). Good grief.

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
No-one mentioned classic cars yet.

Mine is an MG Midget so entry level. Don’t stop it being another endless black hole for time and money.

I also have a classic motorbike, an XS650.

Its a wonder the girls get fed…

lammie200

Friend of Leo's
I am on a car forum where people discuss everything including CPU tuning. Different CPU tunes are fiercely debated about which are the best. I mentioned to someone that there are benefits with upgrading the coil packs if they do a CPU tune because they asked about it. Someone very self righteous started flaming that tuners shouldn't require you to change out hardware for their tunes. So I replied that no one should do anything but throw on a CPU tune (no cold air intake, no larger exhausts, no upgrades to turbo chargers, etc.) to get the most out of a CPU tune? The flamer didn't come back to the thread.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Tri-athletes. Anything to make you lighter or faster!

Tbh, my wife says it is a loaded question: ‘anything boy’s are into needs upgrading, more of it or replacing even though it is still working just fine’
Aerobikes 🤣🤣🤣

Or, train more…🤔

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
How many grams lighter are they? :)
I always say, just loose some weight... one kilogram or maybe two and you instantly save a couple of thousand of $ because you dont need no expensive gear then 😎
Because in cycling, grams = $$$$

Nice :) I am a cycling fanatic but it surprises me how I dont have any cycling related GAS (compared to guitars :lol:... maybe because I am not a member of any cycling forum 🤔). I just buy the easential stuff that I need.
….I suppose I will be crying when Dura Ace 9 speed titanium rear cogs all wear out and are no longer available.
So pretty though, cutting edge titanium parts!

View attachment 941915

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I always say, just loose some weight... one kilogram or maybe two and you instantly save a couple of thousand of $ because you dont need no expensive gear then 😎
Because in cycling, grams = $$$$

Nice :) I am a cycling fanatic but it surprises me how I dont have any cycling related GAS (compared to guitars :lol:... maybe because I am not a member of any cycling forum 🤔). I just buy the easential stuff that I need.

Exactly. Look at me in my mismatched kit crushing the hills on the C level group ride. :)
Actually that was pre-'vid. I have not been on a group ride in a while. Too much stopping an waiting. And peeing. Peeing is for people that finish.

Ragin Cajun

Tele-Holic
Pipe smokers. I just got serious about smoking a pipe a couple of months ago, and so far, i have purchased 8 pipes, 2 pipe racks, about 10 lbs of pipe tobacco, 1 dozen glass jars for the pipe tobacco, 4-5 pipe tools, pipe lighters. Opps, i forgot that i ordered another pipe earlier today, so make that 9 pipes. Some guys go crazy buying and cellaring different blends of pipe tobacco. It's an evil disease every bit as insidious as GAS.

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
There are rabbit-holes in every endeavor into which one can throw lots of money. But as for "buying stuff for your stuff," Harley Pirates are the kings. You can't just buy a Harley off the showroom floor and ride it without "accessorizing" it to "make it YOURS." And there are no other dealerships that are as chock-full of "lifestyle" bling.

I'm not knockin' it if that's what you're into. But buying the bike is just your ticket to admission to a much larger world.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
There are rabbit-holes in every endeavor into which one can throw lots of money. But as for "buying stuff for your stuff," Harley Pirates are the kings. You can't just buy a Harley off the showroom floor and ride it without "accessorizing" it to "make it YOURS." And there are no other dealerships that are as chock-full of "lifestyle" bling.

I'm not knockin' it if that's what you're into. But buying the bike is just your ticket to admission to a much larger world.
Yeah just the costume is expensive!

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm thinking the better question to ask is what hobbies require the least stuff.
As far as sports goes, running is pretty minimal. Good running shoes, shorts, shirt.

Knitting-- yarn, pattern, needles. (Granted you can buy LOTs of yarn and LOTs of different sized needles).

Crossword puzzles-- newspaper or crossword puzzle book, pencil or pen.

Saxophone-- saxophone, mouthpiece, reed. Once the mouthpiece and reed are settled on, most sax players just need one sax for whatever size sax they want to play. The sax player in my band has an alto, a soprano, and a flute. He doesn't have at least 5 of each like a guitar player would. Granted at over $3,000 per instrument they're pretty pricy.

Handball-- handball, wall.

Ultimate Frisbee-- clothes and shoes you can run in, Frisbee, any open field, and 4 orange cones or whatever to mark the goals.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
"Years ago, I asked a friend what kind of case she planned to buy for her shiny new flip phone. She paused, a little offended. “I don't like to buy stuff for my stuff.”

I couldn't help thinking that this article was talking about me. Picks, strings, effects, cables, amps, etc. I buy my guitars stuff all of the time.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-grand-unified-theory-of-buying-stuff/
people with studios...there is always another "gotta have" and some of it is even necessary

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
I worked for a mom and pop retail shop once, decades ago. I'll never forget what the owner told me once "Son, all you have to do is sell them on the main product. Once they've bought that, we've got em hooked. They'll be coming in here for years buying all the smalls that go with it, from that point forward, and this is where we really make our money!" And... he was right :)
true facts

Gimble

Tele-Meister
Here’s one not yet mentioned;

Flight Simmers 140480A9-E98E-4B94-8166-1C87C4B66DC9.jpeg

That’s not a real airplane that’s someone’s basement…