Are We Doomed To Nothing But Comic Book Movies For All Eternity?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Some of the best writers are working in TV now I think. The whole long form series approach allows for a character development completely impossible in the one off popcorn movie format. Comic franchise maybe lets them to the same in movies though - building a 'world'.

Still good movies and film drama been made though. My son is very into movies and finds all kinds of good or offbeat ones. I don't feel a need to see them in a noisy theatre so happy to wait for DVD or hi-def streaming.

2. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

kyle and tele-pathic, thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the story.

And Stringbanger, if you were a fan of Sgt.Rock, were you ever a fan of the Haunted Tank in G.I. Combat comic books? It seems to me that it would be possible to use modern CGI to make the ghost of J.E.B. Stuart appear to guide the crews it does battle with all of those purple german tanks. But maybe the public had enough WWII tank movies with Fury...

3. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

I sometimes go see the big comic book movies and enjoy what I find to be a typically "fresh" directorial approach by the newer directors (addition of subtle and good humor at the expense of super hero status.) But I can't get into the Batman vs Superman concept (seems pathetically contrived to sell tickets) and so I won't be seeing it.

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Na. Never got into G.I. Combat, but "Haunted Tank" sounds cool.

5. Diamond Dave

Diamond Dave Tele-Meister

I like most of them, especially the X-Men movies. But there are SO many movies out there...letting the superhero genre drag you down is like saying you can't stand bro country (the genre du jour) so you're going to hide in a hole and not listen to any music at all.

I like to watch mountain climbing documentaries where guys lose toes to frostbite and get trapped on 25,000 ft. peaks in blizzards. I especially like to watch them in a warm bed.

hellopike likes this.
  6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Spock vs McCoy.

7. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Hollywood pays attention to the $$$, so superhero and super villain movies are going to be on us for a while.

After a few bombs at the box office we will see Hollywood move off to the next genre. But it may take a while, look at Fantastic Four, two movies, did not do so well. So we will reboot it with a new cast, and try again. Oops did not do well again, oh well. They will do this over and over till we stop ponying up $$.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

We have an art house theater real close by and a funny thing emerges if you go to those movies with enough regularity :

There are some really awful foreign and independent movies. Like anything else.

And the second or 3rd Iron Man ? Kind of bad. The Avengers ? Brilliant.

The second Capt America was better than the first and - so on.

Pick and choose.

My wife is an unlikely fan.

Who'd a thunk it ?

9. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I'd like to see Weird Al make a sequel to UHF.
    Don't know that I'd watch it but, I'd like to see him make it.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  10. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

The whole Superhero genre leaves me cold.

I saw a couple of them at the Cinema, and have tried to watch others on TV, but they do nothing for me whatsoever - with the exception of the Blade films.

Blade - a Superhero who doesn't pretend to be a Regular Joe, or dress in Lycra...

11. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

i've seens some .. some are "good" .. some are not that good ..
    the fact is that if the audience would love to have a flying banana with a mask as superhero .. that will probably go in theaters.
    I just don't watch them.

cheers

12. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey TD - did you see any of this year's Oscar nominees?
    The Big Short, Bridge of Spies, Brooklyn, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, The Revenant, Room and Spotlight

No comic book characters to be seen, unless you count Mad Max.

Playing right now at the closest theatre to me is Born To Be Blue, the Chet Baker biopic; Star Wars: The Force Awakens; 10 Cloverfield Lane; My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2; The Brothers Grimsby; London Has Fallen; Miracles From Heaven; The Bronze; The Young Messiah; Whiskey Tango Foxtrot; and couple of animated films, two foreign films, and two superhero movies.

I don't think that movies based on comics are going to outnumber other movies any time soon.

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I dunno about that one, but Veronica vs. Betty could be interesting, if done right. . . Or maybe Veronica and Betty take on Sgt. Rock and the Combat-Happy Joes of Easy Company ?? Buda-buda-buda-buda

fendertx likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I did see the latest iteration of Star Wars, saw the Martian, wanted see the Revenant, abut I just fizzled out before I got there, kept doing something else until I just lost interest. London Has Fallen, same as Revenant I wanted to go see it, but it all seemed so contrived that I fizzled out before I got there too. Haven't seen any of the rest. I used to love going to the movies, but the blue screen has just killed it for me. I did see Mad Max, wish I hadn't. I know it did well, but I dunno, been there done that too many times. Hoping I'll get interested again.

15. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Stan Lee was a member of the greatest generation and a War hero. He also went on to inspire kids in so many ways they are uncountable. As well as getting kids to pick up something fun for them and read. I know for a fact comic books help reading skills. Don't let the small amount or cheesy dialogue fool you. They are also a big influence on creativity. He also doesn't have a lot of say in what Disney does with Marvel these days. He still produces but he is just kind of trying to make the best of a bad situation and even in a bad situation I think his influence brings out at least a little bit of good.

As far as Super Hero Movies go. I would say a lot to many. When I was a kid and a Super Hero Movie came out it was a real treat and a big deal and if it wasn't Batman or Superman which they made a lot of even back then it was like just awesome beyond belief. The only two ones we really got were Captain America and the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren. We thought they were awesome. Now I am pretty sure red skull looks kind of cheesy. If you want to look up something interesting Wiki Dolf Lundren the guy is a living testament to the philosophy of mind, body, and spirit. Goes to show how a lot of guys like him got to where they are. Hard work and in a constant state of self improvement.

16. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I love 'em all! I grew up overseas, without TV, so comics were my entertainment. Spidey, Daredevil, Batman, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Wolverine, Avengers, Yay!!

17. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I would like to see a couple more westerns on par with 3:10 to Yuma, true grit, or unforgiven, preferably no more remakes and nothing to campy like lone ranger

Steerforth likes this.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

For some reason, I've burnt out on these flicks. I've seen some X-Men movies, watched a couple Spiderman movies, Iron Man, etc., and those effects-heavy blockbusters are really the kind of thing I tend to like on the big screen, but I think I'm just saturated. I can't even get through a whole one when I'm trapped on an airplane for 9 hours... I think the last one I watched all the way through was Ant Man.

PS: DON'T be telling TD to stop his rants, guys. Not Cool.
    1. When you reach his age, it's about all a man has left. You'll be there too, some day.
    2. Half of 'em are written by Toto anyhow, and you do NOT want him for an enemy. Terriers are relentless!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I feel like that would be the type of thing he'd be opposed to, but I'd see it... I'd love for a movie theater rerelease of baby snakes or 200 motels along with a blu ray release

20. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

Its marketing departments writing the scripts. The visual fx artists just do what they're told, much like session musicians.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.