Are we destined to shrink our gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Milspec, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I look like a hoarder in my little converted bedroom to a studio. As of today, there are 12 amps, 7 guitars, and a few different cabs....all of which get played at least each week. Like most, I just started gathering gear and exploring all the different sounds and feels that each item brings to the table, but now I am beginning to consider just selling 90% of it off and get down to the basics.

I like all the gear that I have, but I realized tonight that I have been practicing with the same instruments (a cheap Seagull Entourage and partscaster tele) and using the simple THR10 amp. All the while the room has a great selection of vintage amplifiers and med-high end guitars yet here I am with the cheap gear....and enjoying it.

I don't know if I could eliminate any of the instruments as most of them have sentimental value since I built some of them, but I could probably get the amps down to the basics (low watt, medium watt, and a high watt) and be happy with things.

I don't know, i read threads often talking about downsizing, but today it is like my constant GAS has changed to a desire to get more basic with my gear. Almost like the way a helium balloon expands at first and then starts to contract later...so has my feelings about gear.

Do musicians get a mid-life crisis regarding gear? Were we better off before the internet perverted us with a constant need for the next piece of gear? I wonder if I left the internet world would I ever desire another piece of gear that I don't already have?

Time to get back to practicing....

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I hear you, i plan to have a massive sell off of a lot of gear in the near future and get my space back to liveable /usable again besides there maytbe some complaints when i move into the home LOL

but it sure is fun to play with this stuff and the audio process has been a great learning tool .

Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  3. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

My GAS went away a couple years ago, mainly because my financial situation changed and I just couldn't afford to keep feeding it. It was hard at first, but over time I realized just how little I actually needed to enjoy playing, and also how out of control my GAS had become (countless hours watching pedal/amp/guitar reviews, followed by countless purchases, followed by countless sales/returns/trades).

Now I'm down to one partscaster that I built and, one OD pedal, and one borrowed delay pedal.

If it's not getting used, then I would say goodbye (unless it's a family heirloom of course).

drlucky, Tele-beeb, Route67 and 2 others like this.
  4. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

No. I'll let the executor handle the downsizing.

Matt G, RedRock, GibbyTwin and 8 others like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

IMO, the time to address downsizing is in the acquisition stage. I have four electrics with little sonic overlap, my avatar Telecaster, an American Standard Strat with VN pickups, an SG, and an Annie. I use one amp and one pedal. I have one main acoustic. I have no need to downsize and no real desire to add more. I’ve reached the point in life where I’m pretty well satisfied with what I have and realize that more of it won’t lead to greater happiness.

Matt G, drlucky, thegeezer and 5 others like this.
  6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don't have 12 but I do agree. I don't think it's a terrible sin for an average punter to have a music store's worth of gear in the den, but it doesn't have much to do with making music, end of the day. I'm pondering how to get down to 6 or 7 stringed instruments and 2 or 3 amps, which I think would be my threshold for having all the gear I need to make the music I want, but no more.

Tele-beeb, Route67 and Milspec like this.
  7. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I think I may have reached that point as well. Sure, I enjoy playing with all the toys, but I can find plenty of likeable tones with any of those amps and wouldn't suffer if the population dwindled. I think I could easily cut it to about 4 amps and a single cabinet and lose nothing. I suppose finances might be part of it as well since I no longer have the deep pockets and see a room full of gear that easily cost me $20k to assemble over the years while needing to replace a cracked windshield on my car. It just doesn't seem to make any sense like it used ot.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

My estate sale will be a tools, parts and project guitar bonanza.

9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

I did a gear sell-off a few years ago when I realized most of my stuff was getting dusty. I was also beginning to play more bass and less guitar at the time, and needed a real bass amp. One of my gear deals was to trade an Acoustasonic Jr. amp I didn't need for an early 90s Peavey TKO 1 x 15 bass amp. As it turned out, the TKO was a good move, because it forced me to learn a totally different type of EQ controls (active 7-band graphic, with active lo and hi shelving to taper the EQ curve below and above the range of the graphic) after being used to typical passive guitar amp EQ.

But the TKO was a little shy on wattage for band practice, so I scrounged up a small bass cab, an old rack power amp and a Zoom preamp/modeler pedal to serve as a bass rig, and parked the TKO in my basement for awhile. Eventually I got noodling around with my guitar through the TKO and playing with the EQ, and discovered that I really liked it for guitar when I crank the snot out of it and EQ it just so. (The preamp stays pretty clean, but at high volumes the Peavey "DDT" speaker protection limiting kicks in, giving a compressed feel that I like...and slamming a bright guitar signal through a 15" Scorpion speaker sounds good to me too). It doesn't do super-crunchy distortion, but it can pretty much nail the kind of tones you hear in REM's "The One I Love" or Tom Petty's "Climb That Hill." Kind of a snarl, rather than a crunch...but chords still sound good.

So I have downsized in terms of number of amps, and pedals...but now I'm playing guitar through an amp I love, but which is a great big 70+ lb. box of coarse Peavey MDF, with a big ol' ceramic magnet speaker in it, and weird controls for a guitar amp...and one little awkwardly-placed handle on top. Carrying it up and down stairs really sucks, but all my guitar playing is in the basement at the moment so I guess that's not such a big deal.

You don't often hear guys complaining that their guitar amps are harder to move around than their bass amps, but I am that guy.

10. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

my mission is over finally...been playing so much lately vs gear quest..got basic again..good guitars pretty much strait in to good amps. Did get jtm45 & jtm50 black flag circuits in the last week..pretty much killed amp gas. Into the studio finally for full Cd

telemnemonics, Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  11. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Age related gear shrinkage seems unavoidable :oops:.

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I love heavy guitars, and have since I was probably 15. That's around the time I started really liking the sound of Gibsons and the higher end epiphones, and started trying different teles.
    I was in high school when I bought my toronado, tele, and Fender 75.

While I'm looking back, being twice that age (not quite twice as wise...) and know it was a good call, I also know that in 40 years, I'm not going to appreciate an 80lb amp, and should always be mindful, Incase my disposable income vanishes for years.

So I'm preparing for 80 year old me's musical endeavors by buying a less than 30lb amp and another light electric (duo sonic or another mustang).

I'm down sizing the physical gear footprint per item, while adding items.

:)

drlucky, Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Congrats. I think it is a true sign of finding who you are and what you play. It happened to me just a couple years ago. Sure there is always something that would be nice to experiment with, but I now know what I play and I like it. Finally sold off the best built electric I ever owned and never looked back. I finally cemented a simplified pedalboard and sold off the rest. It is an astounding time when I can write songs and record them and not "obsess" about another piece of gear.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

... just stay out of the cold shower and you'll be fine.... :eek:

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It's the Sweet Cycle of Life.

16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Yes I was wondering when this thread would run out of couth.....:lol:

Tele-beeb likes this.
  17. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I gig quite a bit and don't want the hassle of trying to decide what equipment to take. I like it small.

drlucky, Tele-beeb and Milspec like this.
  18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've done two major reorganizations - one about 10 years ago because we were moving and I was kinda like the OP with a lot of stuff I'd accumulated and wasn't playing much. Second was about five years ago when I was getting backaches after playing my heavier guitars. I traded all my heavy guitars and amps for lighter stuff. It's actually been a pretty fun process.

19. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

AS long as my kids don't sell my gear for what I told my wife I paid for it I'm fine with that.

;)

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've reached the point in life, as well as musical needs, where I've got one primary guitar, and one good backup, as well as three or four amps to gig with....depending on need. With the exception of a Sovtek Mig50 amp head, every amp is 15 watts or smaller. If I need more (which is very rare) I'll take two of them. Unlike some of the jokes being made, I don't want to leave problems for my heir. (grandson) This is also why I'm doing things like having the house plumbing replaced, all new HVAC, and other general maintenance taken care of. It's not like my demise is imminent, but you never know! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.