Are volume pedals overpriced??? Or, is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Nov 2, 2019.

1. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know whether pedals are overpriced. But most of them seem damned expensive to me. I have good amps that cost less than some mainstream pedals.

Grateful Ape likes this.
  2. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

Years ago got a george dennis PANORAMA-STEREO-VOLUME pedal off ebay, only bidder for $10. It needed a tad bit of tensioning of the screws and has worked like a charm.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Let me know how you like that one. With that short of a treadle I would be worried about the precision of control available. Also, not too sure about having a 500k pot in that one.

Also, where did you find it new for $50? :eek:

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sam Ash.

I don’t know much about pots. Mine will sit after a buffer if that matters.

And I’m not very picky about “throw”. Just need some to fade parts in and out a bit. I’ve played lap steel without one plenty. But I figure for the record It’ll be a nice touch.

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

If you haven't already pulled the trigger, may want to take a look at the reviews on Reverb.

6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

Fender makes a solid aluminum body VP for $75. It has a treble bleed built in so no loss of highs as you turn it down. It has a short sweep though, not as conducive to controlled swells.

7. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I've had the full-size EB for twenty years or so. I had to have the string and pot replaced last year. Reasonable, I think.

I really wanted to like the Boss smaller volume pedal, but the sweep drove me nuts.

Next to a tuner, a VP is the most essential thing for me. I would happily pay £150 for a pro- quality one which had a good sweep didn't & mess with the signal. I have heard that Lehle are working on a smaller version of theirs...

8. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I have been using the same Morley volume pedal for over 20 years now. I don't remember how much it cost when I bought it but even if it was a lot it has been worth it.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Volume pedals seem overpriced because they're not all that exciting but if you want/need one you can pick up the Boss FV50s for an okay price S/H. I have a couple of them and they do the job just fine. I guess the price is kind of locked up in the housing rather than the volume pot (or circuit) itself.

10. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

You can get simple passive volumes pedals for <$100 from most of the Chinese mini companies like Donner, Mooer, etc.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I've looked it seems like Volume/Wah/Expression pedals that get used every night by gigging pros break constantly if you read about experiences... hence the market for bombproof/overbuilt/expensive ones and guys/shops doing modifications to them to try and make them even more bombproof.

12. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

I picked up a broken Dunlop pedal on the cheap, and fixed it up. That thing seems really over-engineered. Kapton tape mechanism to turn the pot seemed insane. While I waited for the replacement part I used a shoe string (literally) and some superglue and it worked well enough in the interim.

Yes, they are overpriced. But you’re paying for the enclosure more than anything ime.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

@E5RSY - Mine arrived. Sweep is long and great. Don't know if it will last but for $50 it's a winner so far. I've long been an EBjr guy. Best sweep IMO. But they are so big and heavy I just don't want to deal with it. This is the first one I've tried that has a sweep that compares.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019 at 11:54 AM
  14. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

A volume pedal is cheap. Most of the high end volume pedals are a volume pedal with a built in buffer to prevent the loss of high end. If you don't like the idea of forking out a bunch of dough, you can do like I did and get a cheapie Ernie Ball volume pedal ($50 used all day long), then if you don't dig it, you can have somebody build a buffer circuit in (JHS, etc.). With that you are probably less than a hundo into it, and you essentially have the guts of the fancy volume pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.