Are volume pedals overpriced??? Or, is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Nov 2, 2019.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I see all these offerings going for $150+ and can't wrap my head around what would require so much cost to produce one of these things. Standing by to be educated if I'm wrong. Thanks, in advance.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Everything is over-priced, when you're the buyer.

3. mtjo62

mtjo62 Tele-Holic

DADGAD and AlbertaGriff like this.
  4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried a ton. I don't like them in general, but after having EB's, Optical, Morley etc. I like a simple passive $25 one best. It's just a pot inside a pedal. No electronics.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage electrical resistance costs more

6. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Ohm my!

mkdaws32, Gaz_, Grateful Ape and 8 others like this.
  7. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

Yeah. I made a volume pedal with just one pot and two jack. So I could cut the DB on my effects loop for bedroom playing. It costs nearly nothing.

8. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I am afraid most pedals are overpriced. (200$+ for an overdrive?...)
    That said I have been using a Morley volume pedal (Volume +) for years, that suits my needs and is built like a tank.

Tony Forman likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

And don't forget the confirmation biasing!

Hotone Soul Press: Volume, Wah and Expression in one pedal for $100.

10. E5RSY

11. E5RSY

Details?

12. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

This is exactly why I spent more to get the 40th annie model with a kevlar cord (that and the black just looks cooler). They also don't list the resistance but bill it as being for "active or passive" use. I run it in the middle of my chain between overdrives and modulation so I can lower volume without losing all the drive tone. If you are into doing swells, The EB is the one that people seem to recommend and indeed, it's a very smooth taper.

mkdaws32 and E5RSY like this.
  13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

They seem to effect the tone to me. Funny because I can turn my guitar dial up and down, and while it's different at 10 , I like it at 8 also. Maybe a volume pedal just goes too far.. my guitar isn't good at 5! But probably just due to volume...
    The EB I had for years seemed to effect tone by making it less clean. I finally dumped it to a friend cheap who wanted one. Turns out he didn't like it either. I still hear about "the junk I sold him" now and then! They are HUGE though.
    I think the passive pedals just work as another guitar volume in line really.

I think I'm just not a vol pedal guy though. May be fine for you. I play a Strat mostly and like where the volume knob is. Little finger adjusts it and I adjust probably 4-6 times each song.
    I recently bought a mini wah that is also a volume pedal. But just for the acoustic duo really, Jury's out on that.

14. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have the Boss stereo volume with a minimum volume setting knob. I paid $40-ish for it about 25 years ago. It is still smooth & quiet. I recently saw a similar new one from Boss for what I thought was a reasonable price, I do not recall the source.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Thanks. Reminded me I need to put some lap steel on our next record and don’t have a working volume anymore.

ordered the DOD mini for $50 new. Should do the trick.

E5RSY likes this.
  17. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I have the an Ernie Ball Jr and have been completely satisfied with it. I have had it for 5 or so years. I didn't know anything about the "string problem" til after I bought it but I haven't had any issues yet. But I don't use it daily but rather just at gigs. In a live setting it has been worth every penny.

I also have an active Morley Lil Alligator with a volume preset knob. I bought it years before the Ernie Ball but I never liked it. It didn't seem to swell as dramatically as the EB.

Fretting out likes this.
  18. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Buy used. Around 50 bucks is the going rate.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought a used Fender Classic RI volume pedal and ran it 10 years without an issue and resold it for the same price. A tank to be sure, but the swells could be controlled to perfection.

20. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

When a volume pedal is the first thing your guitar see's... that is exactly how it operates. When you add a 250K pot to your guitar (which already has a volume pot) you will lose even more high end... even worse with humbuckers. I don't know a single player that would put a 250 pot in their Les Paul ;). That loss of high end is what people perceive at "tone sucking".

When you place it after a buffer or an always on pedal... it gets isolated from your guitar. When used in that position it will not effect the tone in any way, it will just decrease volume - but don't confuse that with sounding natural though, because that is not normally how guitars sound as you turn them down. IMO... they do work more predictably without "sucking tone" when used this way.

HINT: Any volume pedal will work just fine after a buffer, you do not need the special 25K versions for active guitars.

twangjeff likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.