1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

are Vintique's knurled barrel knobs worth the scratch?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by tamer_of_banthas, Dec 3, 2020.

1. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

i just noticed these go for a not exactly cheap as chips price of 70 USD per set. has anyone bought a pair? if so, did you like them better than Glendale or comparable hardware? or compared to the PV 58 knobs? they certainly look cool - but i've been fooled before.

PeterUK likes this.
  2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

they are knobs... how great can they be?

3. tamer_of_banthas

well i like them to be heavy just in case i need to pop one off and use it as a thrown weapon

4. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I hear they give you a cross between Roy Buchanon and Roy Nichols tone... Better offer $150 a set so they don't decide to sell to someone else.:D

5. fenderchamp

I was going to post a link for these heavily knurled knobs getting sold on reverb made out of aluminum for $8 a pop, I bought a pair and I like them quite a bit, but I see they would not meet your needs.

SuprHtr and tamer_of_banthas like this.
  6. tamer_of_banthas

yes aluminum will be too light, LOL

7. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

They have a very heavy knurl and IIRC they're stainless steel. If you have to have both of those characteristics, it's $70.

The last time I looked, darrenriley.com had the heavy knurl Fender Showmaster knobs for about half that price.

Asian plated brass ones are cheap.

8. Joshtheguitarguy

Joshtheguitarguy TDPRI Member

Somewhere in this cold universe. Or am I an alien?
    Knobs are knobs.

Dismalhead and Festofish like this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Rutters-Broadcaster style knobs $50 a pair. Plus you could add a knurled switch tip for another $25.

The Broadcaster knobs are machined brass.

Brings you just a little north of the Vintiques.

10. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

The AllParts heavy knurl knobs are pretty nice, they're machined brass (heavy and very solid) and nicely plated.

They don't always call them out as AllParts brand though.

I've used a couple sets of them and I'm sure I didn't pay more than $20 bucks a pair.

I really don't think you'd see or feel enough difference between them and $70 buck ones to make a difference to anything but your wallet ;).

11. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Ya gotta get 'em to go with yer $100 Monster cable, $35 Blue Chip guitar pick, $200 fossilized mammoth bone nut, etc.

Over the past 35 years I have grown fond of my Carvin's solid brass knobs, reliced naturally over 35 years by myself, but too cheap to be worthy of consideration in the rarefied atmosphere of $70 knobs.

13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The only reason for the Vintique knobs is the deep, heavy knurl that you can grab readily. No one else was doing that when these were introduced. The stainless steel is just Jay Monterose's thing and not necessary, functionally. $70? It's higher than I think it ought to be, but it's made in small quantities and knurling stainless bar stock *eats* tooling.

14. fenderchamp

It's not really about the price of the knobs, but a good knurl, certainly does feel good. I was just playing my strandberg Bogen and it has smooth knobs, and I thought... possibly as a result of this thread, possibly as a result of being a telecaster enthusiast in general.. these knobs sure could use some more knurling.

I should disclose that I was playing scales unplugged and didn't even notice the deficiently knurled knobs until after I was done practicing.. so.

I also have light knurled knobs on the telecaster I usually play, and I've yet to feel like I couldn't turn the damn things when I needed to with a band so...

but if they are also functioning as weapons, then, the heavier and knurlier the better I would think. You could also attach a light cord of some kind to them and use them as a bolo or simply retrieve one if you just fling it and pull it back again like a yoyo of sorts without the yoyoness. mini heavily knurled yoyo's with retractable spring loaded 10 foot wires would be useful indeed.

I often think of my tele (icepick on tap) as a weapon of sorts, but I have never thought about it literally as a weapon.

/me pats himself on the back for knowing with literally means.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

The heaviest knurl on a knob I've seen are the ones that are CNC'd by Van Dyke Harms. They look like a stack of six octagons, but it's one solid piece. The quality of finish is jaw dropping...as is the price (about $30 apiece). I have a pair here that's awaiting its new home on a custom Tele I'm building for a pal.

[​IMG]

DeepDangler, tanplastic and REWTX like this.
  16. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

They are my go-to knobs for custom builds. For vintage replica builds I use Rutters.

He machines the Tall Knobs down for me which produce my perfect knob.

Are they worth it? That's up to you and your wallet.

Mr Vintique - Jay Monterose - is a personal friend of mine who I visit whenever I'm in the area and I've seen him weave his magic. For me I've seen the work and effort which goes into all his components so I've seen the value. :)

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

I'm just gonna go ahead and be that guy.

I've seen some ridiculous stuff, but $70 knobs is a whole new level of ridiculous.

Dismalhead, SuprHtr and LutherBurger like this.
  18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

If they have exactly the specifications you want, and you can't get them anywhere else, $70 for a hand made pair of metal items isn't the worst price in the world. After tax and tip, I sometimes spend that on a meal for my wife, my mother-in-law, and myself, and that's something made by relatively low-skilled workers, and that we don't even "own" for a day. A pair of quality metal guitar knobs from a sole-proprietor business is made by someone with a technical skill, often decades in the making, and will last indefinitely – likely for several lifetimes.

That said, I wouldn't buy 'em for anything I do. There are knobs with IMO preferable specs, for cheaper.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    tamer_of_banthas likes this.
  19. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

I like those. They look dangerous.

Peegoo likes this.
  20. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Well, just how fashion conscious are you and the people you want to impress. If those folks are in the know, go to the bother to get'um, if not use anything you darn well please

tamer_of_banthas and SuprHtr like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.