Are Vintage Telecasters Rarer Than Vintage Stratocasters?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Kloun, Jan 19, 2019.

1. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

According to Richard Smith (Fender: The sound heard ‘round the world) during ‘54-‘55 Fender shipped 720 Stratocasters against 1027 Telecasters. The turnaround slowly began in 1957 when Buddy Holly had a lot of airtime playing his famous Stratocasters.
    Count the 4 years head start for the Telecaster and it’s very likely, as I stated before, that there are more 50’s Telecasters as Stratocasters.
    However there is no way to be absolutely sure because there is no official data.

It’s funny, because Leo created the Stratocaster to replace the Telecaster, but both had their place in history and both have become icons.

2. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Great to have data!

3. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Look closer.

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Aha. Now I have. Custom pickguard?

Attached Files:

• 395.jpg
      395.jpg
      File size:
      121.2 KB
      Views:
  5. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I dunno, but it's pretty cool, and different.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  6. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Dads 52 seems a man of few words. Lol! The giant guitar shaped pg reminds me of a post someone did with a similar white pg that had small red flowers printed or embossed in places around the guard.

7. Teleman1959

Teleman1959 NEW MEMBER!

I have a ‘59 Tele. All original except finish. Father in law was master woodworker. Wanted to see the wood. Eventually had the finish put back on. Regretted taking it off.

8. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

Were you thinking people have burned or buried early ones just because you're not seeing them around for sale??

The number around, whether available to buy or not, is solely based on the number produced for any particular year vs Stratocasters and vice-versa, and whether or not owners want to sell them! Fender has always based how many guitars they make a year based on prior year and anticipated sales (orders by shops and chains like Guitar Center, etc). In the early days, Fender had to guess and their manufacturing was very limited in the early Santa Ana factory. Fullerton was a big expansion because they became "popular" and in demand. I worked for Fender from 1975 to 2000. Also vintage value bears a lot on what's out there for sale. If Strat, Jaguar, Jazzmaster, P-Bass, Jazz Bass prices are up, then collectors are more likely to want to "cash in". Vintage Telecasters just aren't "IN" now, they were 20 years ago, might be again in 10, 20, maybe never. Look at the manufacturing numbers and the values and there's your answers.

Also a S*#t load of vintage Fender's, Gibson's, Rickenbacker, etc were swept up by Rich Japanese and Europeans in the 80's and 90's when their economies were on fire as investments. I saw the collection the owner ot Tokai had in Tokyo in the early 90's, all in glass vertical cases, Strats, Tele's, Jag's, Basses, Gibsons, Martins, Guild, you name it. He must have had thousans of American vintage guitars. The Chinese and Koreans were doing the same but later. Now the Japanese economy has been down for 15 years and you're seeing collectable Vintage Guitars coming back on "sale". The Chinese economy is crashing too, the big shot commie company owners are being hurt by Trump's tariff war and they are selling vintage guitars now they probably bought from the Japanese collectors.

Tell Prez Trump to keep the Tariff war going and maybe you'll see more "American Wood" coming back.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  9. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc Tele-Holic

I would guess, from the dozen Fender books I’ve read, that they sold in fairly equal numbers in the 50s. To me Teles seem more popular in the 60s and post Jimi the Strat took off. We all know what happened in the 80s lol.

10. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

I've had my '63 tele for over 20 years and during this time my radar is always on for teles from this era. In my experience I would say that rosewood board pre cbs teles are very rare and certainly far less common than strats from that era.

Adam Wolfaardt likes this.
  11. Adam Wolfaardt

Adam Wolfaardt Tele-Meister

Absolutely. Teles were far more common in the 50s. Way way less so in the early 60s. From 65 or 66 on they seem to have made lots of teles again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.