Are Vintage Pedals better?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mr_Martin, Nov 6, 2020.

1. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

And it's easier to supply smd part in some case (through hole jfet are not common now).

mojek likes this.
  2. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

No, vintage hype and prices. I had a collection of 45 vintage pedals and sold them off, I have only 6 highly sought after pedals left yet to sell.
    I have tried them side by side with current models for those vintage pedals that still make new versions & I hear no difference at all so vintage mean nothing to me.

DougM, mojek and Mr_Martin like this.
  3. dodona

dodona Tele-Meister

as a oldy I remember there were
    delay
    reverb
    fuzz
    {treble, bass, power} boosters
    wah's
    plus amp build-in vibrato, tremolo, reverb, and delay, in the old days late sixties/early seventies.

The fuzz boxes were very simple. Just 2 (or 3) additional solid-state pre-amp stages whereas
    boosters had only one combined with a HPF or LPF.

These circuits were far away from reproducing valve like distortion as todays do, which are much better then the oldies.

delay and reverb are also much more advanced, however 100% replicas of the vintage ones are available too.

To sum up: todays pedals are much better than vintage ones.

4. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It depends whether they are quartersawn or flatsawn ....

Jazzerclean likes this.
  5. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

upload_2020-11-11_14-38-12.png

Bill, radiocaster, Piotr and 3 others like this.
  6. Gurmanator

Gurmanator TDPRI Member

No. There are reasons they get modified including: noise, interference, signal loading from non buffered circuits which destroy tone. In the old days is was always a compromise because your guitar responds best when nothing else is in the signal path....but sometimes you need the effects so we modify, create loops that switch in and out, add or remove buffers, add or remove true bypass. Some old pedals were inconsistent also TS being one of them. What ever pedal you love now, you will eventually want to change it. I have boat loads of old and new. They all have places where they do and don’t work out.

7. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Live and learn. So, SMT, SMC, and SMD are all the same I guess.? See, I told you it was over my head!

Still, I like the newer pedals (whatever they’re called) because when I first started buying pedals in the late 60s, I had two - a homemade fuzz and a wah. I couldn’t afford a good wah, so I bought one I could afford from a music store after seeing Jimmy Page with one at a Yardbirds concert. Thing is, the pedal was set up so that the ‘wah’ was on the upward movement of the pedal and I could’ve sworn Jimmy was getting it while pushing down, which he was. Oh well, I got used to it and had to learn all over when I eventually could afford a good one. We didn’t have many effects to choose from and the ones we had ate up 9V batteries like they were peanuts. I can live without those pedals even if the newer ones are SMT, SMD, or whatever. They work better in a gigging environment than vintage pedals. I’m not a collector.

Sleepyscholar and Jazzerclean like this.
  8. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Or if you use a vintage pedal with a guitar that has orange drop capacitors or paper in oil capacitors or Sprague, :) $$$$ lol.

Tim S and schmee like this.
  9. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

Me neither. I cheered when Josh told me that the Nano Small Stone I got for $30 (second-hand, the shop thought the power socket was defective) was actually better than the antique one originally used by Jonny Greenwood, who I was emulating.

10. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Yep, I'm a pro EE and work in the industry all my life. It's a long time. SMT was created to reduce the size, simplify mass production and make it cheaper. Thus it fits into smartphones, gadgets, computers and TVs (to certain extent) perfectly well. But in case of guitar pedals I prefer THD designs or hybrid THD/SMD ones (think of Effectrode, Bogner, some Dr. Scientist pedals).
    Frankly I don't want to start this THD vs SMD discussion once again. It was discussed here and at other relevant fora many times. Let's save some time. Just take my pro opinion as is or ignore it. And let's move on.

Tim S likes this.
  11. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg Tele-Meister

The vintage pedals I bought brand-new a long time ago have been great and reliable. The pedals I bought brand-new recently have been great and reliable. A couple of the vintage pedals I've bought used have had problems, others have been great and reliable. I'd recommend not spending much on someone else's old pedal. I can live with my $35 purchase being a bit wonky.

12. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

If you can provide an objective definition of better, then the question can be answered. There isn't "A" vintage pedal or "A" modern pedal. I've played plenty of both and there are stinkers and gems in both groups. I've had a Boss OD-1 since they came out, haven't found anything I like as much. It completely depends on the pedal and the sound your looking for.

13. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

So you think it's that easy, eh?

:lol:

14. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Quality pedals are better. Vintage pedals when first built were quality compared to modern mass produced. But today there are so many boutique built quality pedals that easily give anything a vintage pedal gives and more. Now the mass produced manufacturing companies I think are taking notice. For example I think the Boss Waza line of pedals has come back to that quality they once had for the functions we're used to and add in features that compete with the boutique manufacturers. All through the late 70.s, 80's and early 90's I used Boss pedals but then got away from them for boutique. For a lot of years I spent a lot of money and owned a lot of expensive boutique pedals. And now I find my self back to more than half my board with boss pedals. The only 2 boutique I have on my board that will likely never get kicked off is a Cali76CD and a Kingsley page. The rest are Boss Waza. Not as fancy as what I could get in boutique but they do what I want them to with a little extra on the custom modes.
    As for vintage I always thought that was more for collectors. Who else would pay so much for something your going to use and abuse.
    I feel even more strongly about electric guitars. You can get a better guitar for less than a vintage.
    Amps are a little different as you can usually get a vintage amp for about the same or even less than a boutique amp.

15. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

The highest price I've seen to date on this pedal was a guy on the Canada guitar forum, listed it for $6,000 Canadian (Aprox $4,600 US). Is that what they're going for these days or is the seller just hopeful?

16. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

The topic itself is quite complicated. As almost anything in life if you care to take details into account. Either you address all the details yourself or rely on an expert opinion.
    There's also a third option. Just plug your guitar into the pedals you like and have fun! :)

Jazzerclean likes this.
  17. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

I would say some older pedals were better than modern ones...but not many.
    one old pedal i wish i still had was a storm distortion10...early 1970s pedal...sounded great
    paid a tenner for it in 1990 or so..it disassembled itself through abuse and neglect and the missus chucked it out before i got round to fixing it

18. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

I think todays modern pedals with a few exceptions are better. The old and large roland/boss...ce-1 chorus,the jet phase series have never been matched. Most of the colorsound pedals as well.

deus56 and Wulf like this.
  19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage pedals have better confirmation biasing.

NoTeleBob and MojoTrwall like this.
  20. deus56

deus56 Tele-Meister

Not necessarily but they sure can be beautiful inside and out.
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.