Are Vintage Aircraft Rides Safe?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Oct 4, 2019.

1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

me?.. not a snowflakes chance in hell I'd get on some old war relic plane for a joy flight........:lol:

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say it was obsolete, but in retrospect I think the production of some of the other, newer models should've gotten more resources. My sense was that someone in a position to make production decisions thought this was a fully tested and painstakingly developed aircraft. My personal opinion is, this design was not really the darling of any of the designers - it just grabbed a reputation for being robust, which it maybe didn't deserve. People assumed it came up under deliberate circumstances. To me this was more about the boy who promised to clean up his bedroom but he never did - a project that got kicked around until hostilities were well underway.

Didn't we manufacture a whole passel (hundreds) of B-17s just to give to the Soviets?

3. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

I would go up in one if I had the opportunity. I really dig nostalgia and trying new things.

dogmeat and JayFreddy like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Altogether possible you could be making so much noise in such an event that you wouldn't hear them anyway!

5. Heathfinn

Heathfinn Tele-Meister

the other thing I think thats being forgotten is these planes might be 70 years old, but most of them have been recently restored from the ground up. I'd argue most of them are probably "newer" than half the commercial passenger planes flying now.

Bri-Sonic likes this.
  6. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

The plane had been flying for seventy years and on that flight had a major problem. I basically consider it really bad luck if you were on that flight. I really don’t like to fly. That plane or one similar was offering flights down here about a month ago. I thought about going. I probably still would go I think it would be fun.

7. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Obviously not 100% safe ...
    Are you feeling lucky ???

8. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

That was the B-25.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

The Lancaster was out and about today. Almost directly above, I’m guessing 500 feet or so. Always enjoy seeing it. And nothing else sounds like it. Would definitely like to go for a ride in it. If someone else paid. I’ve told the story here before, but I was in it when I was a kid. It was on top of a pole at the time.

Cheers,
    Geoff

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My paternal grandfather caught a ride (for business) on a Lockheed Constellation into the airport in Columbus, Ohio about 1960 and we came to get him and also dropped him off for the flight back to Buffalo, the next day I guess. Do not remember which carrier any more.

And out there on the tarmac one of the motors on the Constellation erupted in flames, but then seemed to return to normal. 60 years later and I cannot remember if it was taxiing in or about to head out to take off (I think the former) but I can tell you I changed my under clothes and pants when we got back to the house in Reynoldsburg. That really upset me, as a little guy.

11. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

That B-17 was a much more dangerous ride when it was brand new, and bad guys were trying to poke holes in it.

Wildcard_35, Brian J. and P Thought like this.
  12. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

I think like most things they are safe until suddenly they are not

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.