Are Vintage Aircraft Rides Safe?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JayFreddy, Oct 4, 2019.

1. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We went couple of years ago, and one of the things we did while there was ride a 'Duck' up the Charles River as part of a tour of the city.

At the time I had no idea of their horrendous safety record. Won't get on another one.

- D

dogmeat and Mike Eskimo like this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

jeepers (re: Empire State Building story)

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I went up in a modern plane piloted by someone who built an acrobatic Christian Eagle biplane in his basement, but wrecked it on a takiway by striking a backhoe. It was the most exciting flight of my life, but I took the risk. Going up in a restored antique plane comes certain risks too. Furthermore, anytime you go up in a plane comes certain risks. Risk taking and risk management is part of life and life's decision making. 'Nuff said.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  4. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Holic

True. Nobody never could built and fly Airships like the Germans...

-tbln

5. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Slow down. Not exactly. Don't set your hair on fire quite yet. Compare some key variables between the two planes:

Boeing B-17G
    Length: 74.3 feet
    Wingspan: 103.8 feet
    Top Speed: 287 mph
    Fuel Capacity: 2,780 gallons

Boeing 767
    Length: 159 feet
    Wingspan: 156 feet
    Top Speed: 654 mph
    Fuel Capacity: 16,000-24,000 gallons

Most people do not realize how small the WWII bombers were compared to modern airliners (the Grumman F-14 Tomcat, a fighter, is the same length as the B-17). There is no way a B-17 could do the amount of damage that the big Boeing planes did.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

When I learned the first plane hit the WTC on 9/11 , that Empire St Building crash was the first thing I thought of - it was actually reassuring - for a split second or so...

Wildcard_35 and StrangerNY like this.
  7. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

I have not seen data that indicates that flights in vintage aircraft owned by entities like the Collings Foundation are unreasonably dangerous compared to flights in other aircraft. Collings, the CAF, etc. spend a lot on their aircraft and I don't expect to see a lot of corner cutting and shade tree shenanigans; but a govt. agency or team of lawyers and "experts" for litigation reviewing a matter after the fact through the lens of hindsight can always nitpick a lot of things.

Joy riders in vintage aircraft are not being buried two deep to the grave with a line of hearses out the cemetery gates waiting to get in.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Mechanical/ electrical stuff breaks, old stuff breaks more, and broke more when it was new. The DC -3 was considered a huge advance in confort and safety at the time of its introduction still it had a number of “ incidents “ just less than its predecessors. Life is inherently dangerous, many of us enjoy doing things that make it more so, sometimes despite everyone’s best efforts things go wrong.

Obsessed likes this.
  9. CK Dexter Haven

Indeed, as mentioned a B-25 flew into the Empire State Building in the late 40s , there was significant damage and some loss of life, but no threat of structural failure.

Obsessed likes this.
  10. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

There was data to that effect included in the article. According to the article, riding in vintage aircraft is exponentially more dangerous than riding in modern commercial aircraft.

11. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

If the odds of being burned to death in a 747 are one in ten million, and the odds of being burned to death in a vintage airplane are one in ten thousand, that's something I'd want to know.

But that's just me.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  12. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

"Cessna 180, 185 or Caravan is enough plane for me."

Cessna made their last 180/5 almost 40 years ago.....

edit: "I remember it like it was yesterday" sad but true, ha ha

hdvades likes this.
  13. CK Dexter Haven

Simply looking at a operational vintage military/ commercial aircraft should give anyone all the information that they need, to make an informed decision. even well maintained examples, look nothing like the display pieces at Air & Space , Dayton etc. They leak oil, have extensive exhaust staining, strong fuel smells, and produce copious amounts of smoke and flame on start up plus a myriad of other tells that “this is old technology”. You need to be observant when doing things; the protocol I use when driving my ‘O8 Honda, that has no on board “ Help” is much more intense than when driving a ‘18 , driving my ‘88 was even more so. Just because information isn’t packaged for consumption dosen’t mean it isn’t there and obvious.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I think they're probably quite a bit more safe than those electric scooter gizmos you see kids riding around on. Buy the ticket, take the ride...if you dare.

E5RSY and JayFreddy like this.
  15. Heathfinn

Heathfinn Tele-Meister

How do you know they assumed that? I would imagine they had to sign waivers. But then again, I don't know. But please don't assume they were ignorant in what they were doing. So sad. I got to show my son that plane when it was flying over a couple of times just two weeks ago.

16. Heathfinn

Heathfinn Tele-Meister

A parachute wouldn't have done anything to help them. It flew at under 1000 feet.

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Plus, as noted above...it landed, then it crashed.

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Couple of notes: The plane touched down in the approach area short of the runway with the lights on poles and broke some of those off. From there it veered from its landing path and proceeded to impact auxiliary buildings by the runway. The point where it touched down (short of the runway) speaks to the inability to get enough power to make its intended touch-down point. It could have encountered damage in the forest of poles.

If you watch the warbird community, you'll see that these planes routinely go off the scene for a yeasr or five as they are rebuilt to take care of metal fatigue and corrosion. That looks like this on a B-17:

Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]
    Now, this process was being done on a wreck pulled out of a woods in Maine but the same process occurs routinely on all of them in areas requiring attention.

Bob

JayFreddy and hdvades like this.
  19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I guess you can be afraid of whatever you want to (old war birds, sharks, skydiving, waking up, going to the movies, crowds, you name it) or you can embrace life knowing that it can end at anytime
    I, personally, would rather do fun/interesting/exciting things that worry about....what if
    I was given crap from friends when I dove with over 250 hammerhead sharks out at Stetson Bank back in the ‘80s. My reply to them was, “Yes, I could (not really probable not that situation) have been killed by a shark but I could also get up to go to the bathroom, trip over the cat, hit my head on the toilet and die. Hmmmm, which one is more interesting?The outcome is the same.
    Death is inevitable but adrenaline/experience/life is freaking awesome!!!
    I would still pay a ton of money to fly in a vintage war airplane. Death be damned

20. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.