Are V necks uncommon on Telecasters?

Witcher

Tele-Meister
Hey guys, are they uncommon? I don’t seem to see many at all. Are V necks usually only the domain of Strats?

sonny wolf

Friend of Leo's
They are more common on 1950s era Teles.A lot of actual 1950s Teles I've played have a slight V hump in the middle of the neck.

loudboy

Tele-Holic
My '57 has a really comfortable soft-V, as does the All-Parts neck on my Partscaster. Virtually identical, in fact.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
If this is regarding newer and current production then yes They are fairly uncommon

And when you do find them they are more often than not a 10/56 style soft V (this is for the Baja and custom shop)

I’d say the majority today are either C or U shaped

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
If this is regarding newer and current production then yes They are fairly uncommon

And when you do find them they are more often than not a 10/56 style soft V (this is for the Baja and custom shop)

I’d say the majority today are either C or U shaped

Can I just ask; what does 10/56 mean? I've seen it written in a number of places and on some guitar specs, but I can't fathom it out. Closest I've come is if it was made in October 1956 and that was some special spec, but I'm sure that's not the reason. 😊

I would like to try a V neck as I've got various C, D and U shaped ones, slim taper, rounded, etc. I like having a range of shapes rather than sticking to any particular type.

saleake

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
The original 50s Modified Vintera Telecaster had a nice V neck. I wish I had bought one while they were being produced.

mimmo

Friend of Leo's
The original 50s Modified Vintera Telecaster had a nice V neck. I wish I had bought one while they were being produced.

They stopped producing these guitars? I don't think so, you can easily buy any Vintera you want.

Sorry, didn't want to hijack the thread.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Can I just ask; what does 10/56 mean? I've seen it written in a number of places and on some guitar specs, but I can't fathom it out. Closest I've come is if it was made in October 1956 and that was some special spec, but I'm sure that's not the reason. 😊

I would like to try a V neck as I've got various C, D and U shaped ones, slim taper, rounded, etc. I like having a range of shapes rather than sticking to any particular type.
It’s just the style of V shape made to replicate the early V shaped necks of 1956, they were more of a soft V than the 1957 version

So in fact it is a oct 56 style V

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I fitted a Mighty Mite soft V to one of my teles. It is more a pronounced V than my 50s Baja.

Yes, I have an old Mighty Mite neck with a pretty pronounced V that I really like. The Baja is chunky, but it's really a V in name only.

I wish more guitars had V necks. I find them really comfy.

Witcher

Tele-Meister
I see! So there are still chances of scoring a 50s style tele with a V neck. That opens up some options for me indeed. Thanks guys!

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

I remember the first time I payed a V neck guitar. A MIJ Tele. It felt so weird. It seemed very pronounced at the time, but was probably a soft V.

After I left the store I kept thinking about it. Though odd feeling at the time, it lingered like a tactile memory - a memory I could sense physically. There was just ‘something’ about it.

Took me a few years, but eventually I got one. Also MIJ. Love it.

Pax/
Dean

Pete Baker

Tele-Meister
The Jerry Donahue Telecasters have a V neck if I remember correctly, and as stated in the previous comments, the 1956 and 1957 telecasters tended to have V necks.

Mur

Friend of Leo's
Yep I had a Custom Shop '56 with V shaped neck.