Are these standard MIM tele pickups?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by maj34, May 27, 2020.

1. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

I got a friend's guitar here. by the serial number it's a 2009/2010 Standard Tele.

I can tell some electronics mods have been done because there's CTS pots in there. Whether the pickups are original I have no idea.

I've been experimenting a lot with flipping magnet polarities lately with some strong neo magnets and a gauss meter. But so far I've only flipped Alnico 2/3/5 and I'm a bit afraid to play with these magnets if they're ceramic in case I degauss them and can't get them re-gaussed.

So I thought MIM pickups were always ceramic, but the pickups in this tele are showing rust on top, and correct me if I'm wrong but I thought ceramic magnets wouldn't rust.

They also show a lowish Gauss reading -- about 450 to 600G which I would think they are Alnico 3.

Can ceramics be gaussed as low as this?

2. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Rarely do this, but "Bump". :)

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not an expert on MIM anything, but won't ceramic magnets be of the bar variety, with steel polepieces? (which may rust...)

Pics would go a long way here...

radiocaster likes this.
  4. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Pretty standard looking: 2020-05-28 09.00.33.jpg

5. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Not all MIM pickups were ceramic. There was a span of years where they actually used Alnico. Can't quite remember when though. A decent telltale sign of stock pickups in an MIM guitar is that bobbin flatwork(top and base) will be black plastic, as opposed to black fiberboard.

6. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Post a PIC of the underside of the pickup.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Picture of the back side of the pickup will show what they are.

The MIM Standards had dual ceramic bars for most years.
    Around 2000 +/- a few years they were Alnico rods.
    Latest Player Series MIM ship with Alnico magnet rods.

I would advise against flipping polarity on the bar magnets. If you want to experiment, get a Squier set with the big single bar magnet. I suspect they won't flip but haven't tried so you can see.

Some have knocked off Squier block magnets, pushed out the slugs, and installed Alnico rod magnets.

However, if you lower any ceramic pickup so they are level with the bridge plate or pickguard, and not falling off the elevator screws, you can weaken the field just the same as swapping magnets. An 1/8th inch height difference can matter for tone.

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not really, I think only the Mexican pickups have that hole in the middle. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen it on other pickups.

9. maj34

maj34 Tele-Meister

Thanks all. I'm going to take the guitar apart later and will post another picture of bottom.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.