Are these p100 pups made by Lace?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by btgulledge, Oct 17, 2019.

1. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

I bought these pups around 2001 and had never used them. They have no markings except a red dot and a green dot. They were labeled as Lace pickups on a clearance table. Does anybody know anything about these pickups? IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0345.JPG IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0348.JPG IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0345.JPG

2. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

Yes, they call them PS90, I believe.

3. unfamous

unfamous Tele-Meister

I've been wanting to try some forever, last time I contacted them a few months ago said they were about to begin production again. I'd love to hear a pair.

4. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

Cool! I love knowing what i owned for almost 20 years is what i remembered. I may be able to let you hear these: a friend is redoing a blues hawk guitar and I may sell them to him. I can maybe record something for you.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

That doesn’t look like any single coil I’ve ever seen. A P90 is a single coil and I was thinking that this P100 was as well. But this obviously has two coils like a humbucker. However instead of the coils laying flat and being wound horizontally it has two coils wound vertically and with the cover on it, it looks exactly like a single coil P90.
    Very interesting can anyone explain what’s up here?

6. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

It’s possible that one of coils is a dummy coil used to cancel the hum from a single coil. The Night Hawk and Blues Hawk have a dummy coil inside the guitar body to act as a hum canceler.
    I haven’t found any pickup with this particular layout, it appears to be very rare...possibly.
    More research is definitely called for, perhaps tomorrow.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My thoughts on the P100 was that it was a typical P90 with a extra coil underneath it like a stacked humbucker.
    This pickup reminds me of a Sidewinder pickup that Gibson tried in the 70's. Looks like 2 Strat coils on their side wound opposite of each other with a bar magnet in each coil touching the center screw pole frame.
    The Blueshawk with 2 P90's had a dummy coil internally that could have it's wind direction changed with a switch for humbucking mode. The Nighthawk didn't have a dummy coil because they originally had either a H/H setup or a H/S/H setup.

8. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

I cant find any pictures of pups like this. Been trying all day. I sent Lace a email and haven't heard back.

They read 12ohm and 13.5ohm resistance.

the string spacing is the same on both pickups.

Im sure these are not some rare set, but Id like to know what they are.

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

It does look like Lace construction, with the serrated plates around the coils. It is a noise-cancelling P90 type, whatever it is, not a true single coil.
    Al

10. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I seem to remember Lace saying the reason for the asymmetrical shape of the coils was to keep frequencies from cancelling out (or something like that)--- it was supposed to give a cleaner and more natural tone with clearer harmonics by having the two coils oppositely asymmetrical

And I believe the concept of having a single set of poles in the center but sideways coils on either side is the way the old Gibson "mudbuckers" were made. And other pickup mfgs make "sidewinders" with that type of layout.

11. btgulledge

btgulledge Tele-Meister

Wow, I have an eb bass pickup. I will pull it tomorrow, now I think that is the inspiration for these p100s.

Its a mudbucker with 6 poles

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.