are there "magic" guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by thunderbyrd, Oct 21, 2019.

1. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Of course they do. Hell, I've had a magic car or two ... magic comes in lot's of forms. It's universal.

Matt G and thunderbyrd like this.
  2. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

When I was LP shopping I tried a few and they felt and played as nice as I expected but one of them just spoke to me as soon as I hit the first chord. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough

thunderbyrd, mkdaws32 and Obsessed like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I shopped for a LP for probably 30 years before finding one that I liked.
    Modded in every possible way and no parts were original, not even the pots.
    And it was a second with the little "2" over the serial number.
    Cracked body but headstock never broken.
    Dates to '71 by features since the serial was random then.
    Refretted without those stupid stupid nibs.
    $700.

Really kinda magic if ever a guitar was such.
    Oughtta play it more!

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

I have a magic 3-way switch. And a magic guitar case. Oh -- and a magic 9 volt battery. I'm searching for a magic truss rod cover.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  5. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Played in a band once and the lead player had a Red 63 L Series Stratocaster. It was unbelievably good.
    Have only heard aguitar played by Ian Moss of Cold Chisel ( a huge band here in Oz in the '80s) as talented as " Mossy " is, his stratocaster was only close to the sound of that Red L - series.

Matt G, thunderbyrd and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  6. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

It would seem so. I've culled a honey box from dozens more than once, flattops and solid bodies, and other instruments too. Amps too. It defies the manufacturers intent, design and production, but its real.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

It sounds to me @Obsessed has been wiser :rolleyes:
    To the OP: it seems you’ve let go three times the magic, do not let it slip off your hands next time :cry:

There are truly perfect guitars for yourself, ones that you bond with immediately. I’ve found this with my esquire.
    Then there are guitars that sound magical for anybody who is playing. One like that I have still to find...

Matt G, thunderbyrd and Obsessed like this.
  8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

ANY electric guitar that has great pickups ,a perfect set up (nut,frets,relief,action,pickup height) ,good electronics and new strings can be magical.
    As long as it hasn't got serious structural issues of course.
    ANY guitar.

telemnemonics and thunderbyrd like this.
  9. Splodgeness

Splodgeness TDPRI Member

[in some guitars, the stars align[/QUOTE]

Now there's a great first line for a song............ :rolleyes:

thunderbyrd and Obsessed like this.
  10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

There are dogs too. Some guitars, just don't sound good, even with mods and upgrades. Necks have deadspots, something about the body doesn't sustain, weak low E string, strum sounds like noise, etc.

thunderbyrd and Piggy Stu like this.
  11. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

This is, IMO, a silly question. The relationship between the player and the instrument is just that. A relationship. If the color red effects your emotional state, then red guitar will sound different from a white one.

Conclusion: if you think a guitar is magic... Then it is. It's that simple. Never second guess your instincts. Your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to this particular question.

stevemc, JL_LI, thunderbyrd and 2 others like this.
  12. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

When you think about it, every piece of wood is unique, like a recording of years of rain and sun and atmosphere, molecule by molecule, in 3 dimensions. Perfect reproduction of all that data would be every phone book you ever saw times a thousand

People can forget this and think wood is maths where 2 + 2 always equals 4

I don't really like the word magic though. My daughter did a talk on Greek gods at school the other day and it was obvious they come into play whenever science of the day cannot understand it

Some day there will be some molecule perfect catscan type of thing and we will see why some necks resonate better, some miswinding in a pickup gives a great character, extra good contact at the neck joint transfers more power, some out of tolerance capacitor boosts things with the right amp

thunderbyrd, 2 Headed Goat and BigD like this.
  13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Than I was very lucky during my guitar acquisition life:I must have owned around 200 guitars and still not a SINGLE dog has ever come my way :D....the few ones that had "playability" issues were fixed with a good set up.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Yes, but it's not "magic" but the alignment of quantum waves between yourself and the instrument. There could be entanglement with prolonged exposure. However, your wave lengths could be different, resulting in a "Great guitar but I just couldn't bond with it" situation.

JL_LI and thunderbyrd like this.
  15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I had a Strat like that . Just plain awful all the way around . I knew after owning it for just a week or so I'd made a big mistake

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  16. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

Yes, there are such instruments. "Magic" is sort of a vague placeholder for what guitars like that can be. To me, it's an aliveness, a tonal and physical presence that inspires and satisfies in surprising ways.

My '66 ES-335 is like that. Repaired headstock, narrow at the nut, all the things the cognoscenti warn against solemnly. Also well worn, clearly has been played hard. To play it is to know why. Remarkable sound. Like all the best guitars I've encountered, it seems to be one thing as you play it, one lively thing. Not just a pair of great pickups, not just a comfortable neck, not just parts. One thing. Feels right. Even smells right.

Thought it was just me. But I've seen other players pick it up, play and bit and realize the deal. The best guitars self identify. They have presence.

gwjensen and thunderbyrd like this.
  17. BigD

BigD Friend of Leo's

thunderbyrd likes this.
  18. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

1 strum and I bought the second hand custom shop I was not intending to play

sold off the other 12 strats I had so actually came out ahead

Matt G, stratoman1, gwjensen and 2 others like this.
  19. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I'm lucky to have three guitars that I consider great players, though I have to add I don't have any experience with expensive MIA or CS guitars. I never even bothered looking at guitars like that since I knew I couldn't afford or wouldn't pay those prices.

All mine were under 1k. The latest one, a Vintera 50s Tele, is just a joy to play. Same with my MIJ 54 Strat and a humble Gibson LP Tribute. All of them impressed me within a few minutes of picking them up, and of course that's the key, laying hands on them. The few guitars I bought on-line were okay, but never won me over like those three.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  20. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

To me, the magic isn’t in the guitar, it’s in the player. That said, there are guitars that inspire us to work harder and play better. The bridge pickup on my Telecaster inspires me. The VN neck and bridge in my Am STD Strat inspires me to work on jazz modes. My Annie inspires me to work on country vocals. My new CS ‘69 CS Strat has me working hard on finger style because it’s my only guitar with good balance between the wound and unwound strings. Guitars are things. Beautiful and amazing things for sure, but things nonetheless. The magic comes from the soul. A guitar we think of as magical just helps us get there.

gwjensen and thunderbyrd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.