1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Are there Fender amps still made in USA?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Neener, Nov 24, 2020.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

If Fender has to source parts even for their handwired amps, over seas then what about the boutique builders like Dr Z and especially Tone King who use PCB? Are those amps 100% made in the US?

Neener likes this.
  2. Whitebeard

Whitebeard TDPRI Member

Some are "Made in the USA", some are "assembled in the USA" and some made in Fender factories off shore. The "Made in the USA" models will be a lot more expensive than the others. Then there are component parts like Jensen speakers that are made in Italy and are used in some of the more expensive "hand wired" "Made in the USA" models which replicate the originals made in the 50's & 60's. Want to get really picky find one that says "Fender Electric Instrument Company" (the company's name until Leo sold it to CBS) but be ready to take out a second mortgage on your house - kind of kidding.

Neener likes this.
  3. northern_mark

northern_mark TDPRI Member

No one wanted to pay the big money for the USA through and through gear any more, so they found way to build in cheaper. Same thing over here in the UK.

Neener likes this.
  4. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Vintage Sausage

Neener likes this.
  5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Band name alert!

TIM5150, Wildeman and Neener like this.
  6. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

If you import wood from Norway, but build the guitar in Ohio, is it really made in the USA?

Or is if it a bear craps in the woods...

7. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

The good news is that fine hand wired originals are available for the same or even less than the reissues in some cases. Even tweed amps, there a lots of old PA amps out there with virtually identical circuits if you do your homework. I bought a brand new amp ONCE, in around '94 i got a Blues Deluxe, i traded it for a Magnatone 213 pretty quick;)
    No vintage Tweed Fender is remotely affordable to me now but i have amps that get me into that world that were next to free, Masco, Stromberg Carlson, Challenger, not fenders. A SF Twin, Pro, Super or Deluxe on the other hand...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Neener likes this.
  8. MoHump

MoHump TDPRI Member

Assembled "implies" foreign sourced parts.

Neener likes this.
  9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

"Curated in the USA" :confused:

Neener likes this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The only exception to this, and it happened to a friend of mine who owned a business, is that you could contract a Chinese manufacturing facility to build to your specifications, and they can (without notifying you) subcontract it out to a lesser facility that does not build the product to your specifications. In the case of my friend, the products arrived and suffered all kinds of failures. They later found out what had happened.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  11. David C

David C TDPRI Member

So it is still more expensive in Australia than it is in the US. As I see it, $1350 Australian is $1000 USD, which is what the amp sells for here. Ouch!

12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

lucie charlie veral abuse 2.jpg
    as if the triades were fronting businesses with another making yen is making sense scheme of theirs. I like the fake baby formula racket that's golden.

I still like buying things the people in the neighborhood make , when I see their kids walking by my house going to school I think to myself I'm sure glad your folks and their coworkers formed a collective and don't work like hell and have the profits skimmed off the top leaving them nothing.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  13. tubeToaster

tubeToaster TDPRI Member

No amps are 100% USA parts. Resistors and capacitors, switches ,potentiometers all are made in other countries.

14. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Liked the Fender Amp Factory tour. Anyone else notice the left handed hammer, not a right handed one used upside down.:):)

ChicagoFats53 likes this.
  15. ChicagoFats53

ChicagoFats53 TDPRI Member

As far as I know the high end Amps are still American Made. The Tone masters are made in China or Mexico.

16. zekester

zekester TDPRI Member

My Deluxe 112 Plus is Made in U.S.A. It says so on a rear plate in letters larger than the company's name.

Neener likes this.
  17. padreraven

padreraven Tele-Meister

It means the parts are made somewhere else and then shipped here for assembly.

18. ron tramel

ron tramel TDPRI Member

19. ron tramel

ron tramel TDPRI Member

I can see many dont repair Amps or Understand America doesnt make crap. We have become a nation of Lawyers and Sales People. Once not so long ago Made in the USA mean it. No we have low skilled people putting things together here. Warm bodies working a low wage job. Parts are made in other countries. Lets face it we dont manufacture crap. GOD help us if we get into a WAR. Its like NIKI. Buy it from China for $7.00 sell it to American for $70.00. Virtually nothing is made here. Its all about profit. A nation of cows awaiting milking or worse. The profiteers don't give a damn.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

hmm...from my point of view, that difference of $150 Aussie bucks is not much considering the shipping.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.